Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The following is the response I got directly from Honda:

We genuinely value you as an American Honda customer and we appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concern. On behalf of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., we offer our sincere apologies for the circumstances which prompted you to reach us.

We apologize for any frustration you may have experience but, this is a new, but now known issue, and we are already working on a fix/update that is forthcoming. All we know as of now is based on the vehicle that this problem should be fixed by summer 2022 or sooner.

At this time your case will be closed.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just as an update. My clock doesn’t work same as everyone else stuck at 400. Navigation itself works occasionally turning the car off and turning it back on sometimes gets it going but it is slow to load. I do get DVD error please contact your dealer . Now as of today the USB connector will not find my iPhone for listening to music.

I have a 2011 CRZ ex with NAV

As I said in an earlier post I guess I will be getting a new radio…….but this sucks.
This is not one of those things that should not be working….. Poor design IMHO

thanks to all on this forum for letting me vent

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've actually been trying to reverse engineer the firmware on the nav units to confirm this, and maybe look into the possibility of removing these checks. So far i've managed to build a picture of how the system works with each of it's modules, but i've not yet found the GPS time processing function. I can see that the clock itself is managed by HMIManager.dll but that has no error handling in that i can see. If i find anything then i'll be sure to report back :)
Me too (using IDA Pro). I've set up a virtual machine running XP with eMedded Visual C++ 4.0 with Platform Builder 4.2, to write WinCE 4.2 C++ code which compiles for SH-4 (to understand the architecture). 'System.Control.dll' is as deep as I've managed to dig into it - virtual functions being imported that I can't figure out where called from. Thinking a hack of 'CommonLibrary.dll' to forcibly use 2022 as the year might tide us over till there's an official fix.

Willing to knock heads together to figure out a fix...

I'm not a CR-Z owner but a CR-V owner (same issue, same software I presume).

·
Registered
2012 Honda CR-Z EX Navi 6 speed
14 Posts
Greetings from 2002. New to this forum - new to CR-Z as of June 2021 - bought my 2012 EX Navi 6spd with 58,000 original miles on it - knew immediately that I wanted a new Nav unit, or any nav unit that supports Car Play - whether or not Honda fixes our stock units - can anyone maybe tell me whether installing aftermarket HU will even work, given all the connections to steering wheel controls and whatever else there may be?

thanks for any responses!

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just as an update. My clock doesn’t work same as everyone else stuck at 400. Navigation itself works occasionally turning the car off and turning it back on sometimes gets it going but it is slow to load. I do get DVD error please contact your dealer . Now as of today the USB connector will not find my iPhone for listening to music.

I have a 2011 CRZ ex with NAV

As I said in an earlier post I guess I will be getting a new radio…….but this sucks.
This is not one of those things that should not be working….. Poor design IMHO

thanks to all on this forum for letting me vent
This happened to me when I hit a bump on the highway lol. Take out the NAV disc from the radio after you open it, clean it and reinsert it. Hope that works as well as it did for me!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just called my local dealer Honda Owings Mills Maryland. I was told that Honda was working on the problem there is no fix yet and they are well aware of it. As soon as they get a fix I will get a letter and will bring my car in for the repair. Just like they were doing a recall service. The representative assured me not to buy a new radio and to wait until Honda comes up with their fix.…. But she had no idea how soon.
Considering that computer chips are slowing up the delivery of high end car stereos with NAV, I think I’ll wait for Honda for a little while.

Gosh I love my CRZ

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
IMO Many have gotten an Android based radio with better streaming for less than what the navigation radio will cost and you can have it today just have to do some installing. See Find what fits your car - Crutchfield for what you would need. A few adapters to reuse the steering wheel buttons and a little time and you have something better than the OEM radio.

I just called my local dealer Honda Owings Mills Maryland. I was told that Honda was working on the problem there is no fix yet and they are well aware of it. As soon as they get a fix I will get a letter and will bring my car in for the repair. Just like they were doing a recall service. The representative assured me not to buy a new radio and to wait until Honda comes up with their fix.…. But she had no idea how soon.
Considering that computer chips are slowing up the delivery of high end car stereos with NAV, I think I’ll wait for Honda for a little while.

Gosh I love my CRZ

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anything actually fit in the dash without a floating screen?
I’m told because I have an EX that nothing fits, because the airbag light cannot be moved.
I just started researching this and it’s terribly frustrating.
I would sincerely appreciate any specific advice. What fits my EX in the dash That looks like it came with the car.
Two installers have told me that the aftermarket dash kit for double din radios does not fit the EX.

All help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
Many have installed using the parts from the site I referred you to some have had to buy a different Airbag light. The Metra kits fit EX or not you just need the kit. Those installers are just not familiar with CR-Zs or installing in them. The light can be moved many have done so. Please take what anyone tells you about these cars with a grain of salt. It is not a true double DIN. Please call Crutchfield for assistance in all the years I have been here I have never seen the Airbag light can't be moved information. Many here have Base , EX or EX with navigation and have been able to replace the radio and use their Airbag light and hazard switch.

You are being given bad information. It truly is an easy to do install the hardest part will be reusing the buttons on the steering wheel but even that has been done.

Does anything actually fit in the dash without a floating screen?
I’m told because I have an EX that nothing fits, because the airbag light cannot be moved.
I just started researching this and it’s terribly frustrating.
I would sincerely appreciate any specific advice. What fits my EX in the dash That looks like it came with the car.
Two installers have told me that the aftermarket dash kit for double din radios does not fit the EX.

All help is appreciated

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you so much for this information. I would not be doing this work myself therefore I am a bit at the mercy of installers giving me information. And you are 100% correct they are not familiar with the CRZ.

Armed with this information I think I can find an installer who can or is willing to think outside the box.

Thanks for the help advice and the confidence to know the two installers I spoke to are feeding me BS

Take Care

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
It is very easy to do yourself the only part that might be difficult is the steering wheel controls. Good directions and install parts are provided by Crutchfield as i said. They provide connectors that plug into the car and all you need to do is connect the wires from the radio ( all very well labeled) to the connector ( also very well labeled) you can use crimps and wire it all up on a table then plug it in. The steering wheel controls you will have to tap into wires that are in the car but again easy to do with crimps or solder and the directions. To make a nice connection you off set the connections and use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape for each connection then another larger piece of heat shrink over the whole bundle or electrical tape again you want a good electrical connection and physical connection. It takes time but is not hard.

I have removed radios and fixed connections done by so called installers they cut the wires short and in one case just twisted the wires together.

Why not do it yourself? You will care more because it is your car and you want to do it once. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Thank you so much for this information. I would not be doing this work myself therefore I am a bit at the mercy of installers giving me information. And you are 100% correct they are not familiar with the CRZ.

Armed with this information I think I can find an installer who can or is willing to think outside the box.

Thanks for the help advice and the confidence to know the three installers I spoke to are feeding me BS

Take Care

·
Registered
80 Posts
So according to the Crutchfield website. In dash GPS Navigation 0 units fit the 2011 CRZ EX with factory GPS ?

That appears to include all the Kenwood and Pioneer units that are back ordered due to the chip supply issues.

Is that accurate information? Or am I not asking the correct questions?

Is my only choice for in dash navigation, something with Apple car play….and dependency on my cell phone?

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
Most are using Android based radios or Apple car play and it uses your phone as navigation but displays on the radio. I am going to suggest if you want navigation in the radio then I am going to have to bow out. I use a stand alone Garmin for my navigation and I have an EX with no navigation. Call Crutchfied they are better to call then search the site they can make really good suggestions. I like that the stand alone has lifetime navigation and traffic. As long as your cell phone has unlimited data then whats the difference?

I think that information is incorrect as many have put aftermarket radios in CR-Zs the mounting is the same for all.

Having it all built into the radio is really old technology and not as good as the phone or the stand alone units IMO.

·
This space deliberately left blank
2,509 Posts
So according to the Crutchfield website. In dash GPS Navigation 0 units fit the 2011 CRZ EX with factory GPS ?

That appears to include all the Kenwood and Pioneer units that are back ordered due to the chip supply issues.

Is that accurate information? Or am I not asking the correct questions?

Is my only choice for in dash navigation, something with Apple car play….and dependency on my cell phone?
That may be because the CRZ dash trim is not a true Double-DIN. You'd need the metra kit. I'm still not certain that will interface with the car's sound system.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts