Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

· Premium Member
6,297 Posts
Mine has only been happening since the New Year.. aka Jan 1st 2022.

@litz : does your 2013 update with the DVD or USB?? Just wondering, as that might be the model diff?
With USB, and the most recent, I think:
2021 Yellow USB Map Update V9.K0 090

· Registered
1,187 Posts
I haven't posted here in years....but I also have the same issue 2011. It's driving me crazy.

I'm on Pacific Time, it is stuck at 1pm :(

· Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone else have this? Once the clock turned over on Jan 1, it resets to 3 PM, Jan 1, 2002. Its a 2011 CRZ! My OCD issues are triggered! I watched a video on resetting the clock, but my radio is different, and I see no way to change it. Every time I turn the engine off it resets to the same time and date.

· Registered
2 Posts
I got a 2010 nav model and is doing the same, i found this on the cr-v fourm as they are having the same problems, as a software engineer it makes sense why its not working, im bummed out it might not be fixed unless they start making new navigation cd’s to update it : /

So, here's a little of how that works:

The Honda Navigation system uses Windows CE. That OS can store a date as a 32 bit integer. In binary, that's a string of 32 ones and zeros. The largest integer that can be stored in 32 bits is 2147483647. It looks like the folks who wrote our Navi software used that option to store our dates.

Now, Since Microsoft, using that option, stored dates as YYMMDDhhmm on our nav systems (10 Digits), then dates in 2021 would be stored as something like 2112311234. In essence, it's just a 10 digit integer that cannot be greater than 2147483647.

That worked well, until Jan 1, 2022 when the number changed to 2201010001, which is 11 digits and cannot be represented by 32 ones and zeros.

That is most likely what is causing the bug in our clocks.

· Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if a Honda hds OBD2 tool could set a date? Even if it could though, it might reset.

So what would be the fix.. Updating windows ce? Or getting the date from a different part of the OS maybe?
maybe if they update it to run on int64 instead, maybe they will have a computer at the dealerships to update the system instead of using the old cds nav style update, then again we will have to wait till the engineers create the patch/update.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Anyone with working and not working Nav units care to post up their software versions?

1. Turn on ignition and allow navigation system to complete the start-up sequence
2. Press the INFO button on the touch screen
3. Select SYSTEM/DEVICE INFORMATION on the touch screen

Let's get some data collection. See if the 2021 map update is the solution. The other Honda/Acura models with the same Nav units don't seem to be fixed with the 2021 maps.

· Registered
32 Posts
Well, I figured how to change the time from resetting to 3 to resetting to another time u set it as. Setup (button) > more > click settings > click adjustment > time adjustment (hours over minutes) adjust the time by the differential between 3 and the time u want to reset it to (example: 12:00=hours -3) it will then continuously reset to that time instead of 3. To undo all of this follow the steps to click adjustment then press “reset”. Let me stress THIS DOES NOT DISPLAY THE CORRECT TIME NOW, what it does is give you the option of what time it keeps resetting to, instead of 3:00 it could be 12:00 or 4:20 ;) Until Honda does something, my fix will be having the time displayed on a smart mirror I am installing tomorrow and may post a review about here. Cheers!

· Registered
1,187 Posts
DVD VERSION : 6.81A (I never updated this since 2011)
Software Version : 1.91.04

I remember some guy on this forum years ago tried to hack into the navi. He tried to change the splash screen but never quite figured it out. Wonder if someone can hack into it just to change the time.

· Registered
118 Posts
DVD VERSION : 6.81A (I never updated this since 2011)
Software Version : 1.91.04

I remember some guy on this forum years ago tried to hack into the navi. He tried to change the splash screen but never quite figured it out. Wonder if someone can hack into it just to change the time.
The Nav data hack did work, I did it and have had a custom splash screen for about 9 years. I still have the hacked nav disk too. Unfortunately a hack like this is not an option here. Its an OS (firmware) issue that has no relation to the nav disk/data. So even buying the 2021 nav update wont fix this.
The only viable solution is a firmware patch that changes the date/time format from YYMMDDhhmm to MMDDYYhhmm. I believe Pioneer would have to get involved since they made the head unit, so I'm not holding my breath for Honda to fix this.

· Registered
8 Posts
I noticed this a few days ago too and did a bit of messing to try and figure this one out.
So far there seems to be two theories on whats gone wrong. There's the 32bit signed integer issue, which is the same one that broke Exchange, and is very possible. Or there's the GPS rollover theory, this is the one i went to as soon as i seen it. Got a funny look from the girlfriend when driving down the motorway saying 'i bet its gone back in time by 1024 weeks'...

To check if i was correct, i had a look at the diagnostics menu and noticed the GPS data was reporting the correct time but the date was May 2002 (which is exactly 1024 weeks ago). As the time reported from the GPS is correct but the date isn't, my guess is there's some logic in the code on the head unit to handle certain error conditions. Probably along the lines of 'If date < unit was made, set the time to 0'. Mine keeps resetting to 1am when i have the auto summer time option turned on and i'm in the UK so it's applying the 1 hour summer time offset (thanks to the date being in May) but then resetting it to midnight.
If this is the issue and it's logic in the software causing the issue then a bit of hacking may be able to temporarily fix this by removing the check, although say goodbye to the auto summer time then. I am tempted to do some digging around the files on the DVD to confirm this...
For the sake of clarity, i'm on the 2018 UK maps which i think is the latest maps for our units in the UK.

What annoys me the most is there's no option to ignore the GPS time and set it manually. And the fact that it resets to 1am everytime i turn the ignition off.

Here's hoping that Honda do release a fix for this, otherwise i think it's time to replace the headunit with something newer. Unfortunately, if the rollover issue is the problem, the GPS antenna may need replacing too... Depending on where the GPS chip is housed as sometimes they reside within the antenna and not the headunit.

Edit: Bit more digging and i found this: Safety Bulletin 24 – Furuno navigation & communication equipment (incl GMDSS) - GPS week number rollover and i'm wondering if Honda use Furuno GPS units...

21 - 40 of 121 Posts