Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
It from all of the reading here is a firmware glitch , map update will not fix it . Resetting it will not fix it it appears to be a firmware/programming inherent failure due to using old technology. Similar to Y2K. Only real solution is replace with a newer unit that is programmed for the current year.

I highly doubt Honda will replace the radio but maybe they will offer a replacement at a discount. This is not an easy thing to fix the radio simply does not support the current year and can't translare the information to the current year. It is the lack of a digit in the integer if I read and understood all of the above.

One of the many reasons when I bought my car I specifically did not want the factory navigation. I have a stand alone Garmin and it has always worked and when it does not I can replace it many times before it costs me as much as the factory navigation unit would cost new or used.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Summary, all will be affected if you have a 2010-12 Navigation OEM radio. There is no easy fix right now. Summary of all of the above is it will require either a change from Honda or some kind of a firmware or programming update. This is worldwide affecting all factory radio GPS units of that vintage of all brand vehicles.

Due to age of the vehicles I highly doubt there will be a solution from Honda or any other car manufacturer. Someone maybe able to reverse engineer it but you can spend a lot of time and maybe money doing that but could just get something better aftermarket you can have shipped to you today. Start shopping for an after market radio or GPS unit. Either can be had for not very much money.

More Obsolete technology. We just watched Black Berries get killed and there is about to be all CDMA/3G cellphones to also stop working. They are already not supported. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Most aftermarket radios have both phone and audio streaming through Bluetooth it is a common feature now. Go look in the threads on that here. There are many options and many have back up cameras too all for very little money just need to get the connection parts and follow directions or if you have to have it professionally installed.

first of all its relief knowing I am not the only one with the issue, I was about to go crazy with this. Second it affects so many cars in the Honda lineup that I believe there will be a fix... but i read in the article shared that in August it will fix itself.. if not well then maybe swap for another unit... android I guess my main issue is the phone by Bluetooth that's something that I need a lot

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
See above you are not the only one! 2010-12 CR-zs and many other models and brands also affected. we have had over 74 answers and over 2K looks. It is a World wide issue! It happens every Epoch according to the other articles I saw. Similar has happened at least 2 other times. Here are just 2 of the recent articles .

The new year it appears my clock keeps resetting to 1.00 pm/am?
I googled it and found this:
Honda owners left baffled after glitch leaves the clocks on their car stuck 20 years in the past | Daily Mail Online

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
so far only 2010-2012. @litz who has a 2013 reported above his is working fine.

I‘m from Germany and I was about 3 days after new year at my dealer to ask if it is only my problem.

In my case first I was thinking I made any mistake because I swapped that Nav-unit in my non Nav model. I was a little bit “happy” when the mechanic said they know about it and they’ve got an other customer which got the same issue in his CR-V.
He said that there are many other dealers in Germany which got those issues with the Nav-Unit.

I wrote to Honda Germany an Email, and they wrote back that it is an known problem and they are looking for a solution.
Sorry for my question if it’s still Answered but does anyone know if the problem is on 13-15 ZF2 or the 16 final ZF2 too?

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
IMO Many have gotten an Android based radio with better streaming for less than what the navigation radio will cost and you can have it today just have to do some installing. See Find what fits your car - Crutchfield for what you would need. A few adapters to reuse the steering wheel buttons and a little time and you have something better than the OEM radio.

I just called my local dealer Honda Owings Mills Maryland. I was told that Honda was working on the problem there is no fix yet and they are well aware of it. As soon as they get a fix I will get a letter and will bring my car in for the repair. Just like they were doing a recall service. The representative assured me not to buy a new radio and to wait until Honda comes up with their fix.…. But she had no idea how soon.
Considering that computer chips are slowing up the delivery of high end car stereos with NAV, I think I’ll wait for Honda for a little while.

Gosh I love my CRZ

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Many have installed using the parts from the site I referred you to some have had to buy a different Airbag light. The Metra kits fit EX or not you just need the kit. Those installers are just not familiar with CR-Zs or installing in them. The light can be moved many have done so. Please take what anyone tells you about these cars with a grain of salt. It is not a true double DIN. Please call Crutchfield for assistance in all the years I have been here I have never seen the Airbag light can't be moved information. Many here have Base , EX or EX with navigation and have been able to replace the radio and use their Airbag light and hazard switch.

You are being given bad information. It truly is an easy to do install the hardest part will be reusing the buttons on the steering wheel but even that has been done.

Does anything actually fit in the dash without a floating screen?
I’m told because I have an EX that nothing fits, because the airbag light cannot be moved.
I just started researching this and it’s terribly frustrating.
I would sincerely appreciate any specific advice. What fits my EX in the dash That looks like it came with the car.
Two installers have told me that the aftermarket dash kit for double din radios does not fit the EX.

All help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
It is very easy to do yourself the only part that might be difficult is the steering wheel controls. Good directions and install parts are provided by Crutchfield as i said. They provide connectors that plug into the car and all you need to do is connect the wires from the radio ( all very well labeled) to the connector ( also very well labeled) you can use crimps and wire it all up on a table then plug it in. The steering wheel controls you will have to tap into wires that are in the car but again easy to do with crimps or solder and the directions. To make a nice connection you off set the connections and use heat shrink tubing or electrical tape for each connection then another larger piece of heat shrink over the whole bundle or electrical tape again you want a good electrical connection and physical connection. It takes time but is not hard.

I have removed radios and fixed connections done by so called installers they cut the wires short and in one case just twisted the wires together.

Why not do it yourself? You will care more because it is your car and you want to do it once. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Thank you so much for this information. I would not be doing this work myself therefore I am a bit at the mercy of installers giving me information. And you are 100% correct they are not familiar with the CRZ.

Armed with this information I think I can find an installer who can or is willing to think outside the box.

Thanks for the help advice and the confidence to know the three installers I spoke to are feeding me BS

Take Care

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Most are using Android based radios or Apple car play and it uses your phone as navigation but displays on the radio. I am going to suggest if you want navigation in the radio then I am going to have to bow out. I use a stand alone Garmin for my navigation and I have an EX with no navigation. Call Crutchfied they are better to call then search the site they can make really good suggestions. I like that the stand alone has lifetime navigation and traffic. As long as your cell phone has unlimited data then whats the difference?

I think that information is incorrect as many have put aftermarket radios in CR-Zs the mounting is the same for all.

Having it all built into the radio is really old technology and not as good as the phone or the stand alone units IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I guess this fix on satellites only affected a few countries since mine is still stuck in 2002 showing a totally wrong date. I live in Guatemala so I guess it is unable to connect here.
Only real permanent fix is either stand alone GPS or a newer radio with navigation built in(I doubt any exist that don't need your phone or a SIM with its own monthly costs). Old dead technology in the older CR- Zs.
The OEM navigation was outdated when it was new and an expensive option (over $1 K) and you had to pay for updates via cd or flash drive. Updates were and are also costly. Stand alone units are available with lifetime free Updates and traffic for a few hundred but price varies depending on other features.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts