Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are dozens of threads and posts asking about widths of wheels, offsets, and what fits on the CRZ. I myself am shopping around for wheels and want to make sure I get a nice and flush look, without risk of rubbing. Since I was doing the math anyways, I figured I'd make a nice reference chart that can help anyone looking for a certain stance or extra wide wheels and tires.

First, determine whether you have the stock 16x6" wheels or upgraded 17x6.5" wheels. The top two charts with yellow headings show measurements compared to the 16's, and the two lower with blue headings compared to the 17's. Next, find the width of the wheel at the top of each chart, then the offset along the side. Where these two meet will be a measurement in millimeters (and inches in parenthesis) for where the edge of the chosen wheel will end up compared to your stock wheels.

There are two charts for each stock wheel size, the one on top called "Outside Measurements" tells you how wide the wheel is toward the outside fender of the car, and the lower one "Inside Measurements" is the distance that the wheel is deeper into the wheelwell, toward the middle of the car. Using these, you can measure your own vehicle to determine what will fit, and how they might look.

Please keep in mind, I am not guaranteeing whether any of these sizes will or will not fit, as I'm sure some of them won't. It will depend on your setup, if your car is lowered, how wide of tires you want to run, etc. I have included widths ranging from 6" to 10", and common offsets from +20 to +50mm. If anyone wants measurements for any other sizes not shown I'd be glad to get them for you.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Great information! Thanks for researching and sharing.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You should be aware of the following technical aspect:
Changing the tire width or rim width does not change the track width, but:
Changing the wheel offset (CR-Z: +45) means changing the track width.
Changing the front track width means changing the steering roll radius.
Changing the steering roll radius means changing the cornering behaviour of a car like this:
Greater (more positive) offset tends to result in more oversteering / less understeering and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I suppose with the 235/40 tires I'd consider render rolling may be required.

I'm really looking forward to how your 8.5 width wheels work out!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I suppose with the 235/40 tires I'd consider render rolling may be required.

I'm really looking forward to how your 8.5 width wheels work out!
I'm at 18x8 +45 with 235x35 and it's fine, BUT it's right at the fender liner edge. I put 20mm spacers on the rear and it's rubbing quite a bit on the fender liner. I raised the back almost back to stock so I only hit on major bumps, but I'd guess that with +24 it would have the same issue.

Better to hang a piece of tape with a quarter attached to your fender and measure.

Good luck and can't wait to see!

-Hoi

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm at 18x8 +45 with 235x35 and it's fine, BUT it's right at the fender liner edge. I put 20mm spacers on the rear and it's rubbing quite a bit on the fender liner. I raised the back almost back to stock so I only hit on major bumps, but I'd guess that with +24 it would have the same issue.

Better to hang a piece of tape with a quarter attached to your fender and measure.

Good luck and can't wait to see!

-Hoi
in this case, if those specs are on the edge of the fender your wheels would stick out 20mm further. You will need a narrower tire / fender work or both.

·
Registered
24 Posts
18x8 with a higher offset such as 48+

would that^ spec run the risk of rubbing the shock? Say 225/40 tire... I think not. Its only 3mm, but would help with wider rims and fender rubbing

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm still a little lost on this. I'm thinking of running a 17x8.25. From what I can tell, I should be running a +48 offset.
should... based on what? - wheel choice isnt a science. specs change depending on what youre going for. are you looking for flush or just a wider wheel?

you have a question? post up!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts