Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this thread I am going to discuss my findings for alternatives for the Mugen CR-Z Aero Illumination Kit on the ZF2 model. This is because I am gathering parts for my own vehicle and want to share it with those who might want to have the full Mugen flair for their build.

Now, what is the Aero Illumination Kit?
Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille

On this Mugen RZ, they are the pair of LEDs lit up on either side next to the fog lights. They add no visibility, only a more unique look over those who don't have it equipped. Mugen no longer produces the kit, unfortunately.

It is listed as "完売" which translates to "sold out". Any further inquiries will result in the same answer if you ask Mugen.

However, there is a theoretical solution to this. On Mugen's order page, there is an identical kit sold for the Honda S660 and Honda N-Van. Comparing the parts list on both items, it appears that they are virtually identical. Similar LEDs, hardware, zip ties and harness.

This kit is still available for purchase as of original date of this post.

So, what's the difference? Here is a picture of what's included in the CR-Z Aero Illumination Kit.
Font Body jewelry Rectangle Jewellery Circle

And this is the N-Van/S660 Aero Illumination Kit.
Organism Font Line Auto part Fashion accessory

Basically, it's just parts bin stuff. It has everything the CR-Z kit includes but with a few extra pieces that we won't be needing. The cost is also the same, so it's really negligible.

Looking at the diagrams, here is how it is wired in the CR-Z.
Font Parallel Auto part Engineering Rectangle

N-Van wiring.
Rectangle Font Parallel Engineering Plan

S660 wiring.
Map Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel

One concern I initially had was that the CR-Z is a bit bigger and the harness might not be long enough. However, noting one point in the instructions for the S660, they depict the extra length bundled up with the included zip ties. Because this kit is meant for two vehicles the harness is already a bit longer than necessary. That is depicted here in the S660 instructions.
Map World Slope Font Parallel

To further my point, here is the actual schematic for the CR-Z kit.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

And the schematic for the S660.
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Diagram

The wiring schematic is exactly the same between the two cars and kits, and it seems to only be dependent on the location of the fuse. This makes sense because of course both cars have different fuse boxes. Because of this discovery, and the way my current build is going, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and I will be ordering the Mugen front under spoiler along with the aero illumination kit for my own car.

Here are the links to the resources used:

A link to my own build page:

If anyone is interested in buying these parts, please send me a message. I can refer you to someone who can get you quotes and facilitate any orders for these parts directly from Japan.

EDIT: for clarification I am trying to make my posts as detailed as possible. I have seen far too many forum posts with virtually zero helpful information. Case and point:

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great research! I wonder if the same LEDs will fit a ZF1 Mugen grille, you'd need to modify a harness with the LEDs attached to add a third one tho
I'll make an addendum for the folks with ZF1s here as well since there's interest.

Same concept applies as above. But the problem is that there are three LEDs instead of two on each side. Good luck getting another set and successfully splicing those cables because that's probably not gonna work and I advise against doing that.

Here is the set of parts for the ZF1 Grille Illumination Kit.
Font Circle Parallel Rectangle Drawing

And here is the set of parts for the GE8 Fit Aero Illumination Kit.
Font Circle Jewellery Pattern Symmetry

These ones have the same parts as well, with the CR-Z kit only lacking the extra cushion tape. Even the wiring schematics are exactly the same as the kits I posted above. But BOTH of THESE kits are discontinued. Well, why bother comparing the two in the first place? I know of a company called KKMaster in Japan. They specialize in the Honda Fits and reproduce some replica Mugen parts for those cars. One of the listings they have is for the LEDs for the GE8 Fit Mugen Aero Illumination Kit. They even have the option of white or blue LEDs. Since the parts are identical, I don't see why they wouldn't work being applied to a CR-Z ZF1. I have actually ordered the replica rear fog lamp kit and I will install that when the time comes.

Here is what their illumination kit looks like on their GE8 Fit.

Grille Hood Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

Here's the link to their product page.

As usual, if someone needs help ordering, shoot me a PM and I can tell you who to talk to.

· Registered
97 Posts
I'll make an addendum for the folks with ZF1s here as well since there's interest.

Same concept applies as above. But the problem is that there are three LEDs instead of two on each side. Good luck getting another set and successfully splicing those cables because that's probably not gonna work and I advise against doing that.

Here is the set of parts for the ZF1 Grille Illumination Kit.
View attachment 70003

And here is the set of parts for the GE8 Fit Aero Illumination Kit.
View attachment 70005

These ones have the same parts as well, with the CR-Z kit only lacking the extra cushion tape. Even the wiring schematics are exactly the same as the kits I posted above. But BOTH of THESE kits are discontinued. Well, why bother comparing the two in the first place? I know of a company called KKMaster in Japan. They specialize in the Honda Fits and reproduce some replica Mugen parts for those cars. One of the listings they have is for the LEDs for the GE8 Fit Mugen Aero Illumination Kit. They even have the option of white or blue LEDs. Since the parts are identical, I don't see why they wouldn't work being applied to a CR-Z ZF1. I have actually ordered the replica rear fog lamp kit and I will install that when the time comes.

Here is what their illumination kit looks like on their GE8 Fit.

View attachment 70006

Here's the link to their product page.

As usual, if someone needs help ordering, shoot me a PM and I can tell you who to talk to.
Oh yeah, I remember someone mentioning those replica LEDs. When I get a hold of a Mugen grille without the lights I'd definitely check them out

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I remember someone mentioning those replica LEDs. When I get a hold of a Mugen grille without the lights I'd definitely check them out
That's gonna be pretty tricky. But if you do manage to get one let me know. I can help you get a hold of KKMaster. 👍

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got an update for the people reading this. Last night the exporter I use confirmed my order and it is currently en route to their warehouse. I also ordered the Mugen Front Under Spoiler, the part that these lights will mount in, among a few other parts. I will make a separate thread showing how it is supposed to fit once it arrives.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The package arrived at DHL's huge Cincinnati, Ohio super hub a few days ago. I had to pay a hefty fee for customs too. Otherwise it should be proceeding soon to make it home.

Another thing to mention is that the shipping was insanely expensive. Just astronomical. It was so bad I almost regret it. But this is to modify my car with the best parts so I will endure temporary financial hardship to get the stuff it needs to be the best.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay fellow nerds I got the LED kit in along with the front under spoiler and rear under spoiler. Now to show you guys what they look like. It was dropped in with the rest of the big order of other parts so I had to dig into the box and cut it out of the webs of packaging tape.
Packing materials Finger Package delivery Staple food Packaging and labeling

I got it out and opened it up. Boy is it a rats nest of wires. But at least it's nicely wound up and it still includes all of the hardware, harness, zip ties and the LEDs themselves.
Product Material property Font Handwriting Packing materials

I cut the tape on the package of the wires and fished out the LEDs. Everything was wrapped in many layers of plastic held securely with tape and twist ties. The amount of packaging is kinda bananas.
Finger Material property Nail Jewellery Body jewelry

Finally, I got one of them free. I knew what they looked like on paper, but it's a bit different than I thought it'd be.
Tap Fluid Gas Plumbing fixture Solvent

I've seen LEDs plenty of times. But never anything that resembles this.
Finger Gadget Wrist Thumb Magnifying glass

I held it against the backside of the front under spoiler. Mugen nicely includes the brackets built into the under spoiler with rivets so you don't have to mess with those (this S660/N-Van LED kit includes these brackets too so they're just extra pieces).
Automotive lighting Door Water Vehicle door Auto part

The holes lined up exactly as I hoped they would! That means fitment will be on point and it's pretty much just a job that involves running the wiring. Anyways, if you guys have more questions just drop them in the thread. I will try to answer them as best I can.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the car to the body shop today because the side skirt popped off from hitting debris on the highway. I let him fix it up with black primer because the car is gonna get the Mugen side skirts anyways. While I was there I brought the LEDs to the neighboring repair shop to have it tested with a power probe. As expected they worked flawlessly. Turns out they're pretty bright too. For such a bright room they lit up well.
Textile Finger Dress Nail Wrist

· Premium Member
'14 Energetic Yellow 6MT Panoroof Parking Sensors
139 Posts
Great work @SkittyDoogle !

As you know, I've found myself in the same situation after having brought in all the Mugen kit but with no illumination available to finish it off.

I have some KK Master front LEDS and a reproduction rear LED light too (I'm sure) but I've not fitted them as I recently bought a Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4MATIC as my daily driver so rebuilding my savings!

I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates!

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great work @SkittyDoogle !

As you know, I've found myself in the same situation after having brought in all the Mugen kit but with no illumination available to finish it off.

I have some KK Master front LEDS and a reproduction rear LED light too (I'm sure) but I've not fitted them as I recently bought a Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4MATIC as my daily driver so rebuilding my savings!

I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates!
Nice job! Send a picture of the KKMaster front LEDs once they arrive. It'd be good to share with the forum. I'm curious as to what they look like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts