Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my CR Z 6MT for three weeks now. So far, so good. Driven it 350 miles and fuel gauge is still showing four bars. Will probably have to get my first refuel in a couple of days. My question: In Eco mode, is there a certain speed on level, straight road in 6th gear that will optimize fuel economy? 40? 50? 55? Or should I focus more on keeping RPMs at a certain level? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
886 Posts
RPM's would probably be the simplest one thing to be concerned with.
But, you'll get a feel for it.. it's a lot of variables.

Today I started trying to drive w/out ever pressing the pedal in enough to get IMA assist, as well as shifting before the up-shift indicator lights. It's a game I can only play when there are no other drivers around, and only on flat ground (or downhill). That got me some GREAT mpg, though. (and fully charged my battery)

·
Registered
99 Posts
It really seems to vary. When I commute I go a couple miles around 45MPH and a few more at 70MPH. Cruising at both speeds shows around 40-45MPG on the instant-read; at least when I'm going to work.
Coming back, it usually shows around 35-40 at 70MPH... not sure why.

(Perhaps I'm subconsciously in a hurry?)

·
Registered
314 Posts
It really seems to vary. When I commute I go a couple miles around 45MPH and a few more at 70MPH. Cruising at both speeds shows around 40-45MPG on the instant-read; at least when I'm going to work.
Coming back, it usually shows around 35-40 at 70MPH... not sure why.

(Perhaps I'm subconsciously in a hurry?)
Coming back you may have a slight incline or headwind (if your trip home is going west, for example).

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've had my car for about 2 mos now with about 2600 mi and I've found that driving mode, speed, etc. really seem to be minor factors in mpg economy. The biggest factors by far are 1. length of trip and 2. weather. Any trip less than 10 mi and my mileage really sucks, usually < 30mpg. And temps in the teens can count on worse mileage. A friend who owns a Prius tells me the same thing. A bit off topic, but I smile a bit when he tells me that although he gets perhaps 5-10 mpg mileage better than I do, he paid 5-6k more for his car without navi (which I have). I detected a slight note of envy when he related this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First fill up: 392 miles divided by 9.4 gallons = 41.7 mpg. Avg speed for the tank was 37 mph. Drove mostly in Eco mode but tried sport a few times for fun. Very happy with this inital result.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's not rocket science. For a flat road as long as you're not lugging the engine, the slowest speed in the highest gear will always be the most economical.

Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG.com recorded the following during his original test drive stint of the CR-Z. These numbers should improve after the first oil change and engine break in:

The Eco Mode based steady state - cruise control fuel efficiency numbers are as follows:

•45 mph - 58 mpg
•50 mph - 53 mpg
•55 mph - 49 mpg
•60 mph - 46 mpg
•65 mph - 43 mpg
•70 mph - 38 mpg

·
Registered
886 Posts
The Eco Mode based steady state - cruise control fuel efficiency numbers are as follows:

•45 mph - 58 mpg
•50 mph - 53 mpg
•55 mph - 49 mpg
•60 mph - 46 mpg
•65 mph - 43 mpg
•70 mph - 38 mpg
Yah right! Subtract about 20mpg from the top of the list down to about -10mpg for the bottom of those numbers (so the range in MPG is 38mpg down to 28mpg), and you'll get my real world cruise control on flat ground.

(I do want to mention I found some ethanol free fuel, and my MPG has been up a few points so far on this tank)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yah right! Subtract about 20mpg from the top of the list down to about -10mpg for the bottom of those numbers (so the range in MPG is 38mpg down to 28mpg), and you'll get my real world cruise control on flat ground.
Actually, I have found those to be fairly accurate. Maybe a tad bit high, but not much at all for myself.

I have determine that on my drive to and from work each day, the 7 miles that I drive at 35 MPH seems to be the best MPG wise. I even have stop lights each mile, but my tank MPG always go up through that section of my drive. I am usually turning about 1100 RPM's during that section.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The 45 mph listing does seem high, but I'll try to test it myself sometime. The other numbers seem believable from my limited miles on the CR-Z. I briefly saw 50 mpg average in normal mode towards the end of a 35 mile hwy trip today w/ 80% cc, until I got into the city and into a stop & go traffic jam. Hwy speeds ranged from 55-65 mph.

Flat means no incline. Eco mode testing can be very tricky due to state of charge, and the slightest incline down will cause scavenging. The best way to test is to drive the same section of road in opposite directions and average the two.

A cold battery pack and cold engine will kill mpgs. It can take a few miles to get the car properly warmed up to where it's more efficient. I've been considering some sort of block heater but that won't help the battery pack (the car sits outside).

The other suggestion I'd make is to turn off a/c in the winter as the load of the a/c compressor in auto hvac mode will affect economy.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Since I've been complaining about my MPG so much, I should mention..
I just got back from a drive that averaged about 42mpg on the highway!! Highest I've ever gotten. It's about 20 degrees warmer today and I've got ethanol free fuel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am getting those numbers within 1 to 1.5 mpg in normal mode.

Cruise control on the highway and low traffic secondary roads.

Highest I got was 43.2 mpg for a tank. Now averaging 40 to 42 pretty consistantly.
Can't wait to do some sport riding in the Smokies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.