Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the GT non navi to replace my fuel thirsty Accord EX (for U.S people that's the Acura TSX I think) 2.4l.

I do 90 miles a day round trip and about 14 of those miles are country roads/dual carriageways (east lancs), the rest is motorways...M6, M62, M57.

What are peoples thoughts on the car and it's ability to recharge on the motorway? I'm concerned that it will never have a chance to recharge as doesn't it only recharge when braking? What can I then expect for the MPG. I get 33MPG in the accord and am hoping for 45 with this CR-Z

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The IMA battery charges under braking, on overun or even a light throttle.
So even if you're just cruising, the battery will get recharged as long as the engine is not under too much load (and less than 4k rpm). It takes longer obviously as it's just like a trickle charge rather than the full-on effect from braking.
I do the M62 Manchester to Leeds and back every day, so a lot of up and down the hills and the IMA battery goes down to 3/8 (it stops giving you assist at that point) on the longer uphill stretches but soon recharges.
I also do about 90 miles a day - last week I got 51mpg for the tank (400 miles) without trying too hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The IMA battery charges under braking, on overun or even a light throttle.
So even if you're just cruising, the battery will get recharged as long as the engine is not under too much load (and less than 4k rpm). It takes longer obviously as it's just like a trickle charge rather than the full-on effect from braking.
I do the M62 Manchester to Leeds and back every day, so a lot of up and down the hills and the IMA battery goes down to 3/8 (it stops giving you assist at that point) on the longer uphill stretches but soon recharges.
I also do about 90 miles a day - last week I got 51mpg for the tank (400 miles) without trying too hard.
Hi, thanks for the info. My trip is to Liverpool so quite flat compared to your journey. What do you mean by overrun?

I should hear tomorrow when I can expect to take delivery of my car from the dealer....getting excited now!

·
Registered
281 Posts
No worries
Overrun = on a trailing throttle or engine braking.

All the best for your new purchase (also the same as mine).
Done just over 1k, had it about a month - enjoying it so far as it's fun when you want it to be and an eco-cruiser the rest of the time :thumbsup:
It's like chalk n cheese to my last car, which was a Vauxhall Signum 3.0 V6 diesel auto, so I haven't fully gotten used to the need to change gears and use more than 2000 revs to make it go!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.