Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone checked the mileage calculator in their CR-Z against another source... Scangauge or GPS for accuracy?

I have a CR-Z on order and was wondering if Honda has fixed that problem.

Both 07 and 09 FITs I have owned were very optimistic. The 07 had odometer problems and the 09 MPG readout is always 10-15% higher than the Scangauge readings.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've also read that the CR-Z reads very accurate and is only off by -1.5%... which means it's actually reads lower than actual and some ppl have confirmed this...
Thanks... where did you read that? I've searched this site and have not found any info regarding MPG accuracy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Speedometer seems accurate enough against my GPS, never more than 1mph off. As for mpg, I have checked it when refueling and it seems very close as well. MPG in car might read 38.1 and I calculate 37.9 so based on miles driven and amount of fuel put in to refuel the tank. All in all very accurate.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only way to check MPG meter accuracy is to calculate your MPG over let's say 10 tanks and record the meter display, resetting it after every tank, then see what the average delta is. I did this with my 550i for the last year and it was 1.5MPG too optimistic. I heard the CR-Z is more on the pessimistic side, but don't have any data yet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My Honda fit MPG gauge was 12% optimistic when I got it. After the service bulletin reflash was done, I have found that it is now about 3% optimistic.

On the CRZ I have only one tankful as a reference but it's mileage gauge reading was 3% lower than what I calculated.

My fit's gauge says I am getting 36.5 mpg but it calculates to 35.3 based on gallons used and miles driven.

My CRZ' gauge says I am getting 37.1 mpg and it calculated to 38.2 based on my first fill up.

Hybrid bits are netting me an additional 2.9 mpg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Honda fit MPG gauge was 12% optimistic when I got it. After the service bulletin reflash was done, I have found that it is now about 3% optimistic.

On the CRZ I have only one tankful as a reference but it's mileage gauge reading was 3% lower than what I calculated.

My fit's gauge says I am getting 36.5 mpg but it calculates to 35.3 based on gallons used and miles driven.

My CRZ' gauge says I am getting 37.1 mpg and it calculated to 38.2 based on my first fill up.

Hybrid bits are netting me an additional 2.9 mpg.
What year is your FIT? If mine is as accurate as yours after the reflash, I'll be happy. Will need to check if my 09 needs a reflash or not.

Mahalo for the info on the CRZ's accuracy. Good to know it's at least accurate to an acceptable level. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
What year is your FIT? If mine is as accurate as yours after the reflash, I'll be happy. Will need to check if my 09 needs a reflash or not.

Mahalo for the info on the CRZ's accuracy. Good to know it's at least accurate to an acceptable level. :)
I have an early 2009 (September 08 build) Fit

I wish the fit was a bit more accurate and it is strange that it isn't better, but 3% off isn't too bad I guess:mellow:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've tested the odometer x 3 against my running garmin gps over 10 mile distance and found a consistent 0.1 mile LESS on the odometer vs gps. Overall pretty accurate but that still calculates out on the average for say 350 mi/tank to be 3.5 mi odometer underestimate or about 0.4-0.5 mpg underestimate by the car's calculated mpg (if my math is correct). All the more reason to be satisfied with the gas mileage for this car.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
:yeahthat: if you read my posts above u will see that your findings are quite accurate and that the CR-Z DOES in fact underestimate it's mileage/mpg... thanks for the test :hi5:
Yea would be mistake to do anything else. Was the same with my 07 Civic Hybrid. Usually by 1.6 or so MPG under after putting the calc to it.. Imagine all the complaints if otherwise..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speedometer accuracy..

Speedometer seems accurate enough against my GPS, never more than 1mph off. As for mpg, I have checked it when refueling and it seems very close as well. MPG in car might read 38.1 and I calculate 37.9 so based on miles driven and amount of fuel put in to refuel the tank. All in all very accurate.
I have the 6speed MT, and find the speedometer much more accurate than my old Civic 2.2 CTDI. (which over read by 4~5 mph at 30mph)

I have checked it twice using traffic speed readouts approaching towns, and find at 30mph it is within 1 or 2 mph of being on the money.

Not much room for error so need to pay more attention to speed limits...:rules:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here are all my measured differences between the Info screen and calculations. Minus if the info screen was low, plus if it read higher than my calculation.

+.78
+.15
+.13
+1.09
+.55
+1.17

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.