Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With gas running between $3 and $4/gallon, everyone would like better fuel economy, but where is the point of diminishing returns?

Consider this:
Driving 15,000 miles per year you would consume:

1000 gallons at 15 MPG
667 gallons at 22.5 MPG
500 gallons at 30 MPG
400 gallons at 37.5 MPG
334 gallons at 45 MPG

So your dollar cost savings from increasing your gas mileage by 15 MPG, from 15 MPG to 30 MPG is $1500/year at $3/gallon

But the savings from increasing your gas mileage the same 15 MPG, from 30 MPG to 45 MPG is only $500.

Putting aside the environmental benefit for the moment, is it worth the slower acceleration and hybrid complexity in order to save $500/year in gas expense?

For me, my Honda fit with its real world 36MPG is the best thing going, even when compared to an Insight or Prius at 45/50 MPG. Considering my fit is at least $4000 to $5000 less to purchase than an Isight or Prius.

So when I consider what gas mileage I would like on my new CRZ, I would be very willing to give up as many as 15 MPG, if it meant the car would cost $2000 less to purchase and/or got to 60 a second or two faster. I wonder if Honda took this into consideration?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Currently:
2002 CRV, avg 22mpg combined
20,000 miles per year
=909.1 gallons @ $2.75/gal
=$2500/yr

If CRZ averages 38mpg (the fusion/milan hybrid can, so the CRZ should be able to):
avg 38mpg combined
20,000 miles per year
=526.3 gallons @ $2.75/gal
=$1,447/yr

A savings of about $1053/year in fuel, but would give up utility space and 4WD, and gain fun/handling/etc

Worth it? Maybe

·
Registered
41 Posts
I struggle with these things as well. In my situation I drive a Toyota RAV4 I spent $3000 2 years ago. I can put 4 people in it plus cargo. No payments and the lowest insurance coverage legally offered.

This morning I pulled a wagon to the local grain elevator to purchase 100 bushels of corn for heat. In normal driving I get 32 mpg with E10 and 30mpg with E30.

For me to get a car that gets over 40mpg that can be used in conjunction with my RAV4 or instead of the RAV4 will be tough when you factor in insurance and payments if I don't pay cash. Also, the CRZ only has 2 seats.

But I still want one. It will be difficult for me to pull the trigger. Especially now that it looks like our taxes are going waaaay up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
With gas running between $3 and $4/gallon, everyone would like better fuel economy, but where is the point of diminishing returns?

Consider this:
Driving 15,000 miles per year you would consume:

1000 gallons at 15 MPG
667 gallons at 22.5 MPG
500 gallons at 30 MPG
400 gallons at 37.5 MPG
334 gallons at 45 MPG

So your dollar cost savings from increasing your gas mileage by 15 MPG, from 15 MPG to 30 MPG is $1500/year at $3/gallon

But the savings from increasing your gas mileage the same 15 MPG, from 30 MPG to 45 MPG is only $500.

Putting aside the environmental benefit for the moment, is it worth the slower acceleration and hybrid complexity in order to save $500/year in gas expense?
I guess the biggest thing to consider is how much you really want the CR-Z. I don't think anyone will be able to make that decision until we are able to test drive it and see how it really performs under our own conditions.

For me, I plan on buying a new car in the next year or so anyways so this already makes the purchase option available. With the CR-Z getting better gas mileage than my current ride - and possibly lots of current cars out there, well that is just a bonus to me - as well as a savings when I look at your calculations.

I perosnally think the extra savings is well worth the slower acceleration. As a daily driver, do I really need to get to 60 mp/h 2 seconds faster? I already know it will not be dog slow....just not knock your socks off fast.

Of course this is all just my opinon. Thanks for doing the calcualtions, cool to see it on paper.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
From the details on the car specs it sounds like this could be faster and perhaps more entertaining to drive than a Fit.

Even if you loose some utility for those who hardly use the rear seats folded its another nice choice to have. My biggest load always sits in a J-style rack on top of the car so going from a sedan to a 2 seater hatch doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the details on the car specs it sounds like this could be faster and perhaps more entertaining to drive than a Fit.

Even if you loose some utility for those who hardly use the rear seats folded its another nice choice to have. My biggest load always sits in a J-style rack on top of the car so going from a sedan to a 2 seater hatch doesn't bother me.
I do hope the CRZ might be more entertaining to drive than a fit. However, I believe the specs released so far indicate will will not be. It has more HP than a fit with the electric motor power added to the fit's 1.5l engine and a 6 speed vs the fit's 5 speed. You would expect this would mean the CRZ would be faster than a fit. However the stated 9.7 second 0-100 km/h leaves it at least 0.5 seconds slower than the fit. Unfortunately, this would indicate that the CRZ must weight about 10 to 12% more than the 2506 pound fit. This extra weight will not help it's handling. So it will likely be less entertaining to drive than a fit.

However, my garage houses a Honda fit and an Acura NSX and while my fit does not rival my NSX for entertainment quotient. It does more than hold its own against any other compact car in its sub $20,000 class including my wife's Mini cooper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Currently:
2002 CRV, avg 22mpg combined
20,000 miles per year
=909.1 gallons @ $2.75/gal
=$2500/yr

If CRZ averages 38mpg (the fusion/milan hybrid can, so the CRZ should be able to):
avg 38mpg combined
20,000 miles per year
=526.3 gallons @ $2.75/gal
=$1,447/yr

A savings of about $1053/year in fuel, but would give up utility space and 4WD, and gain fun/handling/etc

Worth it? Maybe
the reason why the fusion/milan can achieve higher numbers is because of its large engine...it provides sufficient torque to keep the engine not working as hard, thus better MPG on a heavier car. I bet a k20 hybrid in the CRZ would net better or just as good as the 1.5l hybrid. honda should just charge a couple thousand more for the CRZ and just give it a k20 hybrid and call it a day..it would actually do what it was advertised to do...a trackworthy car! non of that 0-60 in minivan 9 seconds shiit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.