Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Idk about you guys but my cabin filter gets waaayyy dirtier and faster than the engine filter does. I just changed it today again and it had small twigs, leaves, dirt, those small purple flowers from trees etc.
Is it normal for so much debris to collect on the cabin filter? (I wish I took a picture)
The size of the debris is what’s really surprising.

I’ve never had this happen on any other Honda and now wondering if it’s missing some sort of pre-filter on the outside

· Registered
181 Posts
it gets dirtier faster if you always use the "fresh air" setting instead of the "recirculate" setting - as for the size of the debris, that's a little alarming IMO. Do you have any modifications to the front cowl, like maybe for a strut bar or something?
Ahhh, okay. I had assumed air would only be filtered in recirculate mode. Getting dirtier faster makes sense as it's usually in fresh air mode.

No modifications to the front cowl afaik.

As plastic ages it gets brittle, check the cowl vent plastics for damage. Remove cowl plastics and vacuum that area with a shop vacuum. You may also be able to add some plastic window screen material under the vent area on the cowl to prevent the larger pieces from getting in?

I frequently use a blower attachment for my compressor and blow the loose debris off of that area and around the windshield and back glass. I could also use my shop vacuum to either vacuum or blow the area clear.

The longer stuff is left sitting in those areas, the more chance of pieces getting into places you had not intended. Or damage happening as the leaves and debris disintegrate/rot.

If you are creative, maybe there are some gaps in the cowl plastics you can reduce?
Good tips. I'll probably end up doing the mesh.

Cowl seems fine but I'll get some pictures up in a new thread to avoid hijacking OPs.

Thanks 👍

1 - 2 of 2 Posts