Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to do a service today since I had time this afternoon.
The dealer I bought the car from stated that (paraphrasing here) "all filters were replaced" as part of their normal service.

Here is the air filter (OEM, dated 2016):
Product Grille Rectangle Wood Automotive exterior

And here is the OTHER side:
Grille Automotive radiator part Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas

Here is the MPG difference: (same mode, driving style, time of day, etc):
Font Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rectangle Signage

So that explains why the max MPG I ever got was 33 MPG.
Now it's time to check the oils, coolant, and brake fluid...

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I change both filters and all wiper blades annually, with oil change, tire rotation and annual State Inspection(s). Or by minder. All other changes by minder or suggestions from this forum. I have always done brake fluid every 2 years, transmission, fluid every 30 K.
Maintenance saves money!

Well I decided to do a service today since I had time this afternoon.
The dealer I bought the car from stated that (paraphrasing here) "all filters were replaced" as part of their normal service.

Here is the air filter (OEM, dated 2016):
View attachment 69285

And here is the OTHER side:
View attachment 69286

Here is the MPG difference: (same mode, driving style, time of day, etc):
View attachment 69287

So that explains why the max MPG I ever got was 33 MPG.
Now it's time to check the oils, coolant, and brake fluid...

· Registered
2,256 Posts
It's worth noting that the molded date on the plastic is just the date that it was made. 2016 was the final production year for the CR-Z but they make piles and piles of extra parts during vehicle manufacture that are then set aside and stored as spare parts. Some parts may continue to be produced for a little while after final vehicle production while others will cease production after expected necessary spare part allotment is fulfilled and may only come back into production should something arise in stocking/shortage or recall. So it doesn't necessarily mean that the filter hasn't been changed since 2016. If it really hasn't been changed since then than this car has not had lot of miles put on since and or it's been operated in a region with very good air quality.

I've pulled filters from the CR-Z with ~15-20K miles on them that looked way worse than that (in a known poor air quality city). The topside of yours at least shows that it was still filtering good, but does look characteristically caked underneath, which may be responsible for some MPG degredation.

· Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's worth noting that the molded date on the plastic is just the date that it was made. 2016 was the final production year for the CR-Z but they make piles and piles of extra parts during vehicle manufacture that are then set aside and stored as spare parts. Some parts may continue to be produced for a little while after final vehicle production while others will cease production after expected necessary spare part allotment is fulfilled and may only come back into production should something arise in stocking/shortage or recall. So it doesn't necessarily mean that the filter hasn't been changed since 2016. If it really hasn't been changed since then than this car has not had lot of miles put on since and or it's been operated in a region with very good air quality.

I've pulled filters from the CR-Z with ~15-20K miles on them that looked way worse than that (in a known poor air quality city). The topside of yours at least shows that it was still filtering good, but does look characteristically caked underneath, which may be responsible for some MPG degredation.
The dirtiest filter i've seen was on tractors that were run on really dusty acres. Oil bath filters were the best imo.
The only thing worth noting (which can't be seen in the photo) is how much heavier it was than the replacement OE filter.
Felt like it was packed with mud.

· Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
320 Posts
The air filter should be replaced after 15000 miles and this was mine after only 7k so this is another example, that there’s no need to stick to maintenance schedule and I always replace oil and filters earlier…
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Trunk Automotive design

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Considering how inexpensive the air filters are I just change them annually. Mine have not looked dirty but I figure it all helps keep the car happy.

Maintenance schedules and the minder are minimums. It never hurts to do more often.

I'll still change the oil by minder or once a year. Brake fluid every 2. CVT fluid and filter every 30K or 3 years.

I want this vehicle to last as long as possible. More frequent maintenance has to help in that goal.

The air filter should be replaced after 15000 miles and this was mine after only 7k so this is another example, that there’s no need to stick to maintenance schedule and replace oil and filters a bit earlier…
View attachment 69306
The air filter should be replaced after 15000 miles and this was mine after 7k so this is another example, that there’s no need to stick to maintenance schedule and replace oil and filters a bit earlier…

· Registered
167 Posts
Idk about you guys but my cabin filter gets waaayyy dirtier and faster than the engine filter does. I just changed it today again and it had small twigs, leaves, dirt, those small purple flowers from trees etc.
Is it normal for so much debris to collect on the cabin filter? (I wish I took a picture)
The size of the debris is what’s really surprising.

I’ve never had this happen on any other Honda and now wondering if it’s missing some sort of pre-filter on the outside

· This space deliberately left blank
2,516 Posts
Idk about you guys but my cabin filter gets waaayyy dirtier and faster than the engine filter does. I just changed it today again and it had small twigs, leaves, dirt, those small purple flowers from trees etc.
Is it normal for so much debris to collect on the cabin filter? (I wish I took a picture)

I’ve never had this happen on any other Honda and now wondering if it’s missing some sort of pre-filter on the outside
it gets dirtier faster if you always use the "fresh air" setting instead of the "recirculate" setting - as for the size of the debris, that's a little alarming IMO. Do you have any modifications to the front cowl, like maybe for a strut bar or something?

· Premium Member
9,037 Posts
As plastic ages it gets brittle, check the cowl vent plastics for damage. Remove cowl plastics and vacuum that area with a shop vacuum. You may also be able to add some plastic window screen material under the vent area on the cowl to prevent the larger pieces from getting in?

I frequently use a blower attachment for my compressor and blow the loose debris off of that area and around the windshield and back glass. I could also use my shop vacuum to either vacuum or blow the area clear.

The longer stuff is left sitting in those areas, the more chance of pieces getting into places you had not intended. Or damage happening as the leaves and debris disintegrate/rot.

If you are creative, maybe there are some gaps in the cowl plastics you can reduce?

I will still change both filters and all 3 wiper blades annually. I try to avoid parking under trees, too. Better in the filter than the fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts