Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So pretty embarrassing, but I have no idea about Ipods, MP3 players, etc. I want to get something to play in my new CRZ, but am not sure what to get.

Yes - I've seen the page in the manual about all the Ipods that will sync up, BUT I'm not into paying Itunes over a $1 a song (pause for commentary here on my cheapness).

Anyway, Rhapsody appears to be a better deal at $10/mo unlimited... Please let me know if I'm missing a catch there... They are compatible with Sansa MP3 players. Will those work with CRZ - anyone know?

And yes, I know I'm too young to be this out of the loop...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I have a Sansa E280... and they are good, but only allow you to plug into the AUX to play through the speakers. You still have to select the music on the Sansa... you cant do it from the stereo.

Same for my girlfriends Zune.... and other MP3 players....

I hated IPODs for years.. most because I thought Itunes stunk! But they have improved Itunes enough for me to like it. So I finally bought an Ipod, because it is compatible with the CR-Z. It is great... you can pick your playlists, artists, albums or songs that are on the Ipod, from the stereo (at least the Navi version I have, not sure about the non-Navi.. or non EX's)

All mp3 players will play mp3s... you dont have to buy them from the Itunes store. Just rip your CD's to mp3's (some people even go out on the internet, and download tons of music from torrent sites... imagine.. the nerve!:angry: :pP:)

If you HAVE to buy your music.. Amazon sells Mp3 albums for reasonable prices... as do some other sites!

If you have any knowledge of digital music... or have a friend or brother who does, you wont ever need to spend a cent with APPLE on music... which I hate anyway because of the DRM copy protection they put in every piece of music they sell.

Depending on your budget... get a Ipod Nano ( I prefer the older models) or a Shuffle... Touchs are great, but much more expensive. The classics are nice, but they have tiny hard drives in them that dont handle heat and vibration as well as the flash memory type Ipods.

Questions.. ask! :popcorn:

Apple Ipod site... Apple - iPod - Compare iPod models and find the right one for you.

This might help also .. How to Rip CD's Using Windows Media Player - Ripping or Copying Music From CD Via Windows Media Player

You dont have to use media player.. there are a lot of different ways to rip CDs and modify and tag Mp3's if you get into it.... and yes you can even use the Itunes software...:rolleyes:

**** Update: Have since found that Shuffles wont work via USB... :sadwavey:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, my wife, who is four years younger than my 45 years of age, brought me into the modern world with MP3 players/iPods. I'm admittedly a bit curmudgeonish when it comes to hand-held gadgets... in my day the main addictions for youth were generally booze, drugs and perhaps cable TV and Atari! :blush:

I am truly amazed at how much my 160gb iPod holds. Have pretty much a full CD collection of hundreds of albums on it, have had audio books on it (GREAT for helping with pain-in-the-you-know-what commutes), and I'm still not touching its capacity. Thus, I've gone the "fill by CD collection" route, rather than downloading from iTunes or a similar source. My wife has done some of that, however.

Still learning the hands-free controls for using the iPod via the audio-navi system in our CR-Z... I tend to listen to lots of sports radio during NFL season, so haven't had much practice lately!

Additional note-- it was interesting to also burn MP3 tracks from my computer (originally on CD) to a thumb drive and then play that in the CR-Z using the data jack!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What Ashcon said :)

You don't need a fancy external device to play MP3 files. If you don't already have a collection of .mp3 files, just about any PC media player will rip (convert) standard music CDs to individual .mp3 files. Just create a data CD of all of your favorite .mp3 files, and the car will handle it just fine. You can fit 10+ hours of music on a single CD that way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What Ashcon said :)

You don't need a fancy external device to play MP3 files. If you don't already have a collection of .mp3 files, just about any PC media player will rip (convert) standard music CDs to individual .mp3 files. Just create a data CD of all of your favorite .mp3 files, and the car will handle it just fine. You can fit 10+ hours of music on a single CD that way.
How does "navigation" through the music work when tracks are burnt to CD? Would the CD be treated like one great big album with hundreds of tracks, or could you navigate from album to album?... I'm thinking not. There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to each type of media device/platform.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
:yeahthat: @SunCat

i was also an iPod/iTunes hater... more of the iTunes than the iPod lol... but like mentioned above, it's quite user friendly today... NONE of my music that i have on my iPod is from iTunes... except a coupel podcasts, but those are different... you can take almost any song on your computer or CD and load it into iTunes to either burn a MP3 CD or upload onto an iPod... most of my songs are DJ Mixes or audiobooks which cannot be found on iTunes... other songs are just hard to find exact mixes i want so i find them elsewhere...

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
How does "navigation" through the music work when tracks are burnt to CD? Would the CD be treated like one great big album with hundreds of tracks, or could you navigate from album to album?... I'm thinking not. There are certainly advantages and disadvantages to each type of media device/platform.
it depends on HOW you burn it... for example; if you burn it all into one folder then it's just gonna be on one giant list... BUT if you make individual folders and put the songs in the folders that you want, then you can search by folder... that's what i used to do on my Si b4 i got an iPod... and even then it still didn't have USB and i would have to select from the iPod and connect through the AUX port...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Navigation of music is probably going to be the reason I replace my stock head unit with a 2-din after-market unit. Looks like there are quite a few to chose from (don't really want to pay for DVD or navi). Will wait and see what the stock one does, but I don't have any high expectations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Angelina, like others have said you don't have to buy anything but the iPod from Apple. The songs can come from anywhere else; downloads, cd, or a streaming service.

If you listen to lots of different music Rhapsody is great. But if you listen to the same 100 songs over and over it would get expensive after just 10 months versus just paying .99 cents a song on iTunes or Amazon.

Either way enjoy the sounds!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The shuffle won't work as it will not be able to connect via USB. I tried to make my iPhone 4 work, and it did once, but after that it never worked again. Tried to make an older iPod to work, but no dice, so got the new Nano, and it works like a charm, and its small size is ideal.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
im using and old school ipod which comes up as "unsupported device" when i connect via USB, but works when using the aux input but have to control from the ipod instead of radio. welcome to the CRZ and forum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Sansa E280... and they are good, but only allow you to plug into the AUX to play through the speakers. You still have to select the music on the Sansa... you cant do it from the stereo.

Same for my girlfriends Zune.... and other MP3 players....

I hated IPODs for years.. most because I though Itunes stunk! But they have improved Itunes enough for me to like it. So I finally bought an Ipod, because it is compatible with the CR-Z. It is great... you can pick your playlists, artists, albums or songs that are on the Ipod, from the stereo (at least the Navi version I have, not sure about the non-Navi.. or non EX's)

All mp3 players will play mp3s... you dont have to buy them from the Itunes store. Just rip your CD's to mp3's (some people even go out on the internet, and download tons of music from torrent sites... imagine.. the nerve!:angry: :pP:)

If you HAVE to buy your music.. Amazon sells Mp3 albums for reasonable prices... as do some other sites!

If you have any knowledge of digital music... or have a friend or brother who does, you wont ever need to spend a cent with APPLE on music... which I hate anyway because of the DRM copy protection they put in every piece of music they sell.

Depending on your budget... get a Ipod Nano ( I prefer the older models) or a Shuffle... Touchs are great, but much more expensive. The classics are nice, but they have tiny hard drives in them that dont handle heat and vibration as well as the flash memory type Ipods.

Questions.. ask! :popcorn:

Apple Ipod site... Apple - iPod - Compare iPod models and find the right one for you.

This might help also .. How to Rip CD's Using Windows Media Player - Ripping or Copying Music From CD Via Windows Media Player

You dont have to use media player.. there are a lot of different ways to rip CDs and modify and tag Mp3's if you get into it.... and yes you can even use the Itunes software...:rolleyes:

Music bought from iTunes is now DRM-free AAC files, 256 kb/s

·
Registered
85 Posts
The shuffle won't work as it will not be able to connect via USB. I tried to make my iPhone 4 work, and it did once, but after that it never worked again. Tried to make an older iPod to work, but no dice, so got the new Nano, and it works like a charm, and its small size is ideal.
My iPhone 4 works flawlessly in my car. I dont know which headunit you have, but I have the navi unit and I haven't had any problems at all using with the phone. Does the radio give you any error messages or does it just not work?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyway, Rhapsody appears to be a better deal at $10/mo unlimited... Please let me know if I'm missing a catch there... They are compatible with Sansa MP3 players. Will those work with CRZ - anyone know?
Rhapsody has an application that allows you do download the songs to your ipod.

Anyone know if the songs downloaded can be played over the USB or does it have to be played over the Aux audio cable?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Blackberry works just fine through the aux input, though you have to control it from the phone. Still, with hours of music set for "shuffle" I never need to touch it. My iPod works better via the USB and you can then control most of the functions via the car's controls if you wish.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.