Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

Lately I've been driving in sport-mode more and have found (as long as I still drive reasonably) that my car is getting better gas mileage. I feel like this may be due to the boosted assist from the electric motor. It's been mostly city driving but it certainly has increased to just shy of 40 mpg. Thoughts?

Steve

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Driving style counts for more than what mode you are in. All the mode does really is increase throttle response... if you are careful, you should be able to get the same mileage in all three modes.. just more difficult (especially for those with a heavy foot)

·
Registered
250 Posts
just like crazee said, your MPG is purely dependent on your driving style in in the 3 different modes. I have a lighter foot so for me usually eco is best in more dense traffic since the throttle response is minimized I can tweek my speed ever to slightly to compensate for traffic slow downs (usually). I also found that if I use sport mode (I have a CVT) going manual with the shifters produced better gas mileage (just like normal or better) since I can push it into higher gears and lowering the RPMs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can anyone recommend any good hypermiling tips? Driving normally (mostly highway) my 2000 Corolla gets around 31mpg. With a light foot, on Econ, coasting slopes while taking it easy going uphill and slipstreaming other cars, would it be possible to get over 45mpg on the CR-Z?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm at 4000 mi now and the last 3500 or so have been almost exclusively sport mode since my experience as alluded to here by others has been that driving mode has little to do with overall fuel economy. I'm managing 37-40 mpg in sport and needless to say I am an extremely happy camper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can anyone recommend any good hypermiling tips? Driving normally (mostly highway) my 2000 Corolla gets around 31mpg. With a light foot, on Econ, coasting slopes while taking it easy going uphill and slipstreaming other cars, would it be possible to get over 45mpg on the CR-Z?
The very best I've ever gotten on an entire tank is 43mpg and that included a trip from Myrtle Beach, SC to Columbia, SC...just for that trip, I kept it in Econ mode with picked up speed down the hills...it takes a lot of work and attention to the MPG gauge, but at the end of that trip, my MPG was over 49.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Driving mode for those with a manual doesn't seem to matter much.

But driving mode for those with an automatic can matter a lot!

The automatic will select a different ratio on the CVT for the same speed depending on which mode you are in, which will produce a different MPG.

Having the cruise control set at 65 MPH will produce around 2500 RPMs in Sport, but only 2000 RPMs in Normal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Driving mode for those with a manual doesn't seem to matter much.
I'm actually surprised about this.

Going from ECON to SPORT in my manual CRZ feels like I'm driving a completely different car.

I don't even know how you could burn as much gas in ECON as you could in SPORT.
Shove that pedal down all you want, it's not going to give it to you.

It might come down to this:
I suppose it's perfectly possible to drive conservatively in SPORT if you want to.
But ECON is going to force you to drive conservatively.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts

Going from ECON to SPORT in my manual CRZ feels like I'm driving a completely different car.

I suppose it's perfectly possible to drive conservatively in SPORT if you want to.
You can drive conservatively in SPORT. I use it 90% of the time. At 5066 miles have conquered all three Eco levels and got the final trophy.. Averaging 34mpg.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm just hoping to be able to drive to work and back for a week on a tank of gas. roughly 60 miles per day. Right now I use a tank a week in my accord and usually takes 15 gallons to fill up. If I baby my accord I can get an extra day of to work and back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
definitely not (6MT)
agree 100%. ECON may make wheel spin harder, but that's just down to the speed at which you mash the pedal. My biggest complaint with the different modes is that once you are used to one mode, pulling away in the opposite risks either a stall, or a 4krpm launch!

To test this, find a test section of straight road and do a rolling start, single gear, full throttle run from say 1.5k rpm to 5k. Time it in the two modes and then come back with the answer.

·
Registered
282 Posts

The difference is only in throttle response, i.e. acceleration. Try this; on a flat section put the car in cruise control and switch through the different modes. I think you'll find there's essentially no difference in RPMs or mpg. Therefore the only difference in the modes really comes when you speed up. Of course as Rhammersmith says, and I hadn't really appreciated that before, this is only true for manual. Makes me all the more happy I have the 6 mt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well of course.
The driving modes can't magically change your gear ratios or engine efficiency.
So driving at a constant speed in the same conditions in a specific gear is always going to be exactly the same.

The throttle response is exactly what I was talking about.
Pressing the pedal down the same ammount in ECON and Sport mode is going to result in different ammounts of fuel being sent to the engine.
So, you could be lightfooted in Sport mode and still be efficient, but ECON mode is going to make you be somewhat efficient even if you're a leadfoot.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
theoretically econ should always be best. it limits blippy acceleration, and keeps your rev lower while coasting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. I've been getting better fuel economy lately with Sport mode, but I think it has more to do with the fact that the car has better feel than in the other two modes. I can be a lead foot or a light foot when I need it. ECON is not adequate for how crazy people drive around these parts and NORMAL is fine, but still it doesn't have the same feel. But I can understand how this kind of control in Sport only works with the 6MT. I can work the gearing a lot more and since the gearing ratios are so close, I can get to 6th gear at 30 mph and feel like I have enough passing acceleration in Sport. So lately though with 6th gear being used a lot and sport mode, I've been getting close to 40 mpg city. Love this car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.