Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
IMA Error would go away after restart. It only returns if you drive constantly with brake pedal sensor deactivated. If you flip the DIY switch back and forth a couple of times during daily commute, then there's no error. I wasn't able to check the actual OBD2 code yet, will test it as soon as I get the scanner.
Thanks for the input. If I go through with it I'll post my experience. Also IMA codes are on the Honda proprietary system and not readable by the OBD2 unfortunately.

NOTE: My 12v battery died on me last night, I don't even have 2K miles on the odometer yet. Can it be that the engine getting off and on too often may be caused by crappy battery not holding charge?
It's possible. I sat in autostop for 15 minutes before while eating lunch. If you're only getting 10 or 15 seconds there's definitely an issue.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Looked under the steering wheel today for these brake pedal sensors. On my 2014 model the one that activates the stop light is 3-pin blue plastic sensor on the right with push-in locking connector, the one that is responsible for Auto-Stop is 2-pin all metal located on the left side. I didn't want to drill anything, so I simply disconnected the 2-pin sensor on the left, you don't even have to take the bottom plastic panel off to do this. Tested it already, no more Autostop...nice an easy! Pretty sure I will not need this feature at all, so I'm fine with disconnecting it permanently. Anyway if I ever need it it's a 10 second deal to put the connector back in.

Will try to find the same 2-pin locking wire connector at some parts store, this would allow to put in the switch without having to cut and solder the wiring.

This picture gives the idea where the sensor is located -

any one tried this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
AUTO-STOP is for idiots , it only is good for the Companies that supply you with STUFF ... not good for the user... auto-stop stops oil circulation in the engine and transmission leading to premature engine and transmission failure , this is a FACT gaurenteed , take a car that has auto-stop and run it for 5 years and one with no auto stop , the car that had auto-stop is going to have less engine compression and more transmission slip in the 5 years , also it will burn up the catylic converter also , becuase the catylitic converter needs to stay hot , by auto-stop the catylist cools down and is garbage...
AUTO-STOP only helps the companies that sell you stuff , doesn't help you in anyway ...

·
Super Moderator
4,819 Posts
AUTO-STOP is for idiots , it only is good for the Companies that supply you with STUFF ... not good for the user... auto-stop stops oil circulation in the engine and transmission leading to premature engine and transmission failure , this is a FACT gaurenteed , take a car that has auto-stop and run it for 5 years and one with no auto stop , the car that had auto-stop is going to have less engine compression and more transmission slip in the 5 years , also it will burn up the catylic converter also , becuase the catylitic converter needs to stay hot , by auto-stop the catylist cools down and is garbage...
AUTO-STOP only helps the companies that sell you stuff , doesn't help you in anyway ...

You are quite the opinionated idiot aren't you? There are CR-Zs with well over 300K miles with none of what you are stating above. If you don't like Auto stop don't buy a car with it but they will be hard to find most cars have some form of auto stop. The CR-Zs is seamless and not intrusive at all.

I'll bet you don't even own a CR-Z.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You are quite the opinionated idiot aren't you? There are CR-Zs with well over 300K miles with none of what you are stating above. If you don't like Auto stop don't buy a car with it but they will be hard to find most cars have some form of auto stop. The CR-Zs is seamless and not intrusive at all.

I'll bet you don't even own a CR-Z.

I bet he doesn’t own one. He became a member on 4/5. I am guessing he was kinda interested in CR-Z so probably started looking at this forum. And some time after April, he probably read other forums or other people probably told him how “stupid” auto stop is and he decided to chime in and talk trash about the car. His first ever post btw ... lol and upon looking up his user name, he is apparently a car guru answering repair related questions on other sites

Anyways, I fully utilize the auto-stop feature as much as possible and love it even more when the traffic is extremely slow going downhill. My engine sometimes remains off for a long distance.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
About a year or so ago I watched a youtube video of some upper middle aged guy talking about how auto-stop systems were just gimmicks used to inflate Epa estimates. He ran through all these "reasons" as to why but didn't give any real hard evidence, citing 30 year old tech and other not quite accurate info. The bottom line that he failed to address is that in MOST instances, autostop does actually save fuel. And, with most hybrids and especially the CR-Z,it's pretty seamless in operation.
Found it: https://youtu.be/k159M8QhCIE

·
Registered
326 Posts
I could see auto stop on a nonhybrid being intrusive and saving only a small amount of gas which to be honest would prob be made up many times over by buying batteries however auto stop on our cars is very efficient and nonintrusive and saves some or alot of fuel and money due to the IMA starting the car back up batteries are not a issue nor is sound however for someone like myself the fuel savings are minimal at best I rarely use auto stop I really like the feature I just dont drive in the city much so when Im driving I normally dont hit alot of traffic or traffic lights

That said the only thing that kinda made sense was premature catalytic converter wear however its unlikely but he is correct in assuming massive temperature differences by shutting the car on and off all the time could cause metal deformations which could in theory warp and there for prematurely wear the catalytic converter however its unlikely to make much of a difference unless you are in stop and go traffic every day and hit tons of red lights every day and consistently have auto stop kick in which can happen but its not a issue for most people

The whole engine and transmission wear stuff shows a significant lack of knowledge about how engines work if anything autostop would make the engine last longer by putting less idle wear on the parts, lack of oil flow is 100 percent irrelevant as no parts are moving and thus do not need lubrication the only issue I see for this is theoretically could cause about the same wear as a car without autostop that idles at lights and such by allowing the oil to cool down enough that it would cause it to thicken and need to warm up again to lubricate properly however really I can think of only one realistic example where this might happen and that is stop and go traffic in a blizzard and even then its not very likely for the oil to cool down enough

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
xhpssn logic: something isn't used therefore that thing will wear out faster.

Its an engine, not a banana.

Catalytic converters operate at around 1000ºF and are made of steel. That would have to be a traffic signal time of like a half an hour depending on ambient temperature and wind for it to cool enough to heat-cycle. Same with engine oil temperature: around 200ºF at operating temp. In either case the EGR valve helps to get the engine and related components up to operating temperature rather quickly.

If anyone is hitting stoplights that long the real question is: why aren't you taking a different route or building your own overpass?

·
Registered
326 Posts
xhpssn logic: something isn't used therefore that thing will wear out faster.

Its an engine, not a banana.

Catalytic converters operate at around 1000ºF and are made of steel. That would have to be a traffic signal time of like a half an hour depending on ambient temperature and wind for it to cool enough to heat-cycle. Same with engine oil temperature: around 200ºF at operating temp. In either case the EGR valve helps to get the engine and related components up to operating temperature rather quickly.

If anyone is hitting stoplights that long the real question is: why aren't you taking a different route or building your own overpass?
Draft and air temp can cool your car down way quicker than that, for instance, my catalytic converter drops almost 500f within a few minutes and drops about 150f instantly but I would argue that it would still be too short of a time frame to matter too much
The engine shields trap hot air so for most people with our cars our engine temp would not drop much if any at all, its more likely to get hotter rather than cooler as the cooling system will be shut down as well but for people like myself who have removed the engine shields it will cool down much quicker due to the improved airflow however it would have to be rather cold outside to make much of a difference due to the lack of efficiency of hot air drawing the heat away

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Plus the fact that our cars are programmed to only use autostop when a long list of certain parameters are met, not the least of which is operating temperatures of various items: Engine, oil, catalytic converter, coolant, ambient air, etc.
And if for some reason one is really determined to keep the engine running the system is fairly easy to circumvent. Turning the main defrost on, air con to "LOW" or just put it in 1st gear(clutch in, 6Mt only).

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Egad, how'd I miss this one?

AUTO-STOP is for idiots , it only is good for the Companies that supply you with STUFF ... not good for the user... auto-stop stops oil circulation in the engine and transmission
Well, yeah. Nothing's moving. What the hell are we supposed to oil?

leading to premature engine and transmission failure , this is a FACT gaurenteed ,
Wait, what? Wear from being turned off? What? Refer to Koala's banana comment.

take a car that has auto-stop and run it for 5 years and one with no auto stop , the car that had auto-stop is going to have less engine compression and more transmission slip in the 5 years , also it will burn up the catylic converter also , becuase the catylitic converter needs to stay hot , by auto-stop the catylist cools down and is garbage...
Can I get a bucket of this for the petunia bed? Should bring on lovely blooms. And please, auto-correct if you're the kind of drillhead who can't spell.

·
Super Moderator
4,819 Posts
Oh No we woke Defiant up for a one and done poster!:surprise: Sorry All was looking for something else saw the posting and couldn't believe I missed it either so I thought I should resurrect it!>:)

Egad, how'd I miss this one?

Well, yeah. Nothing's moving. What the hell are we supposed to oil?

Wait, what? Wear from being turned off? What? Refer to Koala's banana comment.

Can I get a bucket of this for the petunia bed? Should bring on lovely blooms. And please, auto-correct if you're the kind of drillhead who can't spell.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts