Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I talk and read about the CRZ it seems to me the more and more people are apparently missing the point. Not just of what the car is, but what it can mean as well. I know this is probably preaching to the choir but I want you guys' opinion on this stuff.

It seems to me that the people come at the CRZ from one of two sides. Either looking for a hyper-miling 70mpg people toter, or a screaming performance machine. As I'm sure we all know it's neither. What it is, is the first foray into a new real of what a hybrid is and can be. With this car Honda has taken the first steps into the sport hybrid realm, a place where a car can be both quick on its feet when one wants, but also a gas sipper during more sedate times. Now, while I feel the car in its current form is much more sedate than it should have been, it does provide the spring board for what I hope will follow. Where, much like as the inline 4 really came into it's own as an out of the box performer we'll start seeing hybrid designs that incorporate either larger more efficient engines, or more powerful electric motors, or ideally both. That it will follow into designs that take the very best of the low end instant grunt that an electric motor offers and pair it with with top end pull of a gasoline motor chasing the red line to offer a car provides the thrill when wanted, and keeps gas in the tank when needed.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it seems far too many people see the car only as what it is NOW, not what it can be or can mean for the future. A fact that really worries me as I fear the CRZ and what it could mean dying off because Honda held back too much and because people don't think forward on it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I think most buyers would think most about what the car is right now. For myself though, I must agree with you. I could have bought any small echonomic hatch on the market right now, but not only is the CR-Z a great and fun car, I see it as a step in the right direction. I'd like to think that by buying one of these rather then say a diesel civic or something else, I'm showing my support for what Honda have done. Hopefully, if only a small push, it will mean that we will see more cars with this philosophy in the future.

Before the CR-Z was shown as a prototype, I wouldn't even have considered buying a hybrid. They could have made it look more like the concept car in my opinion, but I think it appeals to a larger market the way it looks now.

In short: Go go Honda :thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking along the same lines. Seems like every time you read a review of the CR-Z lately, it has a negative, snarky spin. Plus, I never realized that there are just a lot of hybrid haters out there!

Having tested both the MT and CVT CR-Z, I found that it's just a hoot to drive in either form and it stands on it's own as a super fun, fuel efficient car. Unlike a lot of the professional reviewers, I didn't find the ECO mode all that horrendous. I mean, it's to help you save fuel after all! They make it sound like it's the absolutely worst thing ever put in a car.

Z

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I also was not about to buy a hybrid, but the Z actually changed my mind not just by its looks but how it feels also. I also wanted to make sure that this concept didnt get killed in the first stages because no one bought the car, so i did what i could which was buy one no matter what. After a test drive if i didnt like the performance enough then i would have thrown out the warrentee and did a massive swap just so i had a good platform to start with, but im happy enough for now with it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Most reviews suck. Mostly because they simply judge the CR-Z compared to the shoes of the old CRX Si. Or compare it to a Sonta GLS. Or the review of the ECON mode is summarized by being dead slow without any details.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think most buyers would think most about what the car is right now. For myself though, I must agree with you. I could have bought any small echonomic hatch on the market right now, but not only is the CR-Z a great and fun car, I see it as a step in the right direction. I'd like to think that by buying one of these rather then say a diesel civic or something else, I'm showing my support for what Honda have done. Hopefully, if only a small push, it will mean that we will see more cars with this philosophy in the future.

Before the CR-Z was shown as a prototype, I wouldn't even have considered buying a hybrid. They could have made it look more like the concept car in my opinion, but I think it appeals to a larger market the way it looks now.

In short: Go go Honda :thumbsup:
well said.. The crz is definately a step in the right direction for Honda, and Ecotuning :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree, I bought the car because I wanted a good looking fuel efficient car with a little bit of grunt. Initially I was looking at the Volvo C30 or the Scirocco 1.4 TSI, but when I saw the CR-Z I was smitten, and after owning the car for 6 weeks I still smile when I see it and I love driving it.
I agree about the reviews with the ECO mode, they seem to put it down all the time, and I must admit when I first started driving it, I thought I would not use the ECO mode alot, but I now find myself using it quite a bit, once your up to speed on the motorway or driving through town.
All in all I can't fault the car, and suspect people don't get the concept of being a FUN fuel efficient car, that looks fantastic. :wub:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most reviews suck. Mostly because they simply judge the CR-Z compared to the shoes of the old CRX Si. Or compare it to a Sonta GLS. Or the review of the ECON mode is summarized by being dead slow without any details.
I dunno, I judged the CRZ heavily based on my love of the CRX; in my opinion they're very similar in what they are and mean and it's a great deal of why I love the CRZ as much as I do. X3

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I dunno, I judged the CRZ heavily based on my love of the CRX; in my opinion they're very similar in what they are and mean and it's a great deal of why I love the CRZ as much as I do. X3
Yet like stories swapped down a line of people exagerations tend to become reality.

Ask any automotive forum and you'll be told that the CRX did 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, weighed 1200 lbs, got 50 mpg being driven hard....

The reality is far difference but even the reveiws seem to buy into some of these stereotypes.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
actually the CR-Z has already been hypermiled to over 70mpg (US) and i'm sure i can get over 50 if i tried a little bit... and the performance side is quite adequate for when it needs to be...

Funny, I was just thinking along the same lines. Seems like every time you read a review of the CR-Z lately, it has a negative, snarky spin. Plus, I never realized that there are just a lot of hybrid haters out there!

Having tested both the MT and CVT CR-Z, I found that it's just a hoot to drive in either form and it stands on it's own as a super fun, fuel efficient car. Unlike a lot of the professional reviewers, I didn't find the ECO mode all that horrendous. I mean, it's to help you save fuel after all! They make it sound like it's the absolutely worst thing ever put in a car.

Z
i couldn't agree more that with this post... except the fact that the CVT lacks a tiny bit of fun over the 6MT IMO...

but the part i agree with most is where you commented about the reviewers describing Eco mode... i thought it was gonna be a huge turd in Eco... but it is more than tolerable to drive in Eco and would do most of my driving in that mode b/c the area i live is more laid back and i don't have as much aggression driving around here lol... but when i go down to Miami/Ft Lauderdale it will be in Sport mode almost all the time haha...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yet like stories swapped down a line of people exagerations tend to become reality.

Ask any automotive forum and you'll be told that the CRX did 0-60 in 6 seconds flat, weighed 1200 lbs, got 50 mpg being driven hard....

The reality is far difference but even the reveiws seem to buy into some of these stereotypes.
I wish my rex did 60 in 6 flat. XD Though weight wise it's pretty close, mine weighed in at 1600 and change dry...Then again I've also removed most of the interior since I got it. XD I do see where you're coming from though. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
USDM '91 CRX Si weighed 2174 lbs and did 0-60 in about 8.5 s

In other markets they had a SiR with the B16A motor which was obviously much quicker, but that model would only average 28-30 MPG (an estimate based on what I average in my CRX with the B16A1 swapped in)

The CR-Z, in Sport Mode, is a more refined, safer, 91 CRX Si. The 0-60, handling, and gas mileage are all as good or better. The beautiful thing about it is you can make it a DX by placing it in Normal or make it a HF by placing it in Econ. Makes sense!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
D15 B2 in mine right now, an 88 DX. X3 Mostly stripped too, hence the weight drop. Though I'm hoping to get ahold of a B16 here soonish to get into it. Though the ultimate plan is gonna be a boosted H22. X3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Spot-on,to the original post.

For the months leading up to this thing coming out, every "review" I read (pre-production cars being driven by folks who are used to racing around in the latest Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo :rolleyes:),the thing was being slammed as slow or something.
In tons of other blogs/forums,etc. you had lots of Honda Civic die-hards crying about how they wont be blowing the doors off of Mustangs (not that they are doing so now,in their boy-racer-ricers,anyway-no matter what silly,over-sized exhaust tip they slap on the thing) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then there were the criticisms about it's looks,etc..not to mention the hybrid aspect...

There were even folks crying about how Honda "ruined" things by having only 2 seats (how many of you honestly ever put more than one other person in your Civic/Del Sol/CRX,etc. anyway? and if u Do insist on putting adult-sized people into the back seats,they should be beating you to a pulp for it... :popcorn:)...

Why folks cant just take a vehicle for what it is,I'll never know.
No,we will not anytime soon be seeing a sub $20K car that will go 200mph,0-60 in 3 seconds, and getting 90mpg while being graced with the looks of the latest Italian Supercar...but,it seems everyone wants all these cars to be everything,to everyone, and be affordable to everyone as well..

At the end of the day,It's a HONDA. 20+yr.s from now,you'll be laughing your way down the road in this thing-while passing the other poor sods broken down on the shoulder in whatever whizz-bang car they chose instead..

·
Registered
579 Posts
^Dito -Look, i tell pple that i did not buy this car for the speed. I bought it cuz of the tech in it. I am blown away by the subtle things like blue tooth calling which i used for the first time ever. It was very pleasing. Great sound system. Coming from my previous car which had 2 blown speakers and shitty base. This is a hybrid. Thats why I wont plan to take off the hybrid badge. Becuz im not trying to really pose. I love getting into this car each time. To turn the ignition and see the dash light up like a space ship. Its comfy, cozy, roomy and sporty. Its got enough zip in it to get in and out of traffic. Trust me, my bros 130hp sentra cannot touch the crz's performance and it has more hp.

I plan on doing some cosmetic stuff to increase the cars eye candy. But no where in my mind will this turn into a drag car. Otherwise I would have gotten something else.

Bottom line is, i wanted a reliable fun car which all the gadgets and gizmos of more expensive cars. Everyone that sees my car loves it or think its really cool looking. My coworker said its like a little hot rod. My other female co worker said it was really nice looking.

We all understand why we are buying this car. Most will not will buy this car with the intent of making it a monster on the road. Perhaps some will. But most will not. I want this car to stay as stock motorwise, and cosmetic wise as much as possible. I dont even want to think about touching the motor. perhaps an ecu reflash. But no garbage exhaust, intake. Look, i got a shitty trade in value on my prelude because i ruined the car by doing so much stuff on it, it brought the value down. I am starting all over with the crz. So that IF i did trade it 5 years down the road, it will still look as nice as it did as when i bought it, or even better.

As far as seating? Get an accord if you want seats. Ive only had more then 2 pple, including myself in my car at one time once in a very great while. Not enough to justify owning a car with seating for 4. I hated to clean my rear seats in my prelude becuz they never got used. Just a waist of money, time and space. Im glad they made use of the crz's space for cargo and funtionality. No/less seating in the back means more/better seating in the front. Where it counts.

The day they dropped the rsx and s2000 and didnt come out with anything in the news for years of a replacement, i knew honda was changing their objectivity slightly for a more eco friendly world.

All those people complaining on other forums can eat their hearts out. Because that makes it better. We wont have to worry about them ricing these cars up and clinching our teeth when we pass by them on the road each time.

I just wanted a reliable comfy commuter with all the cool tech stuff that are in more expensive cars at an affordable price for the next couple of years to get me to college and work. And I've found it. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone complains about the eco mode being slow, they're an idiot. OF COURSE ITS SLOW! That's why we have 3 modes! lol. If you dont like eco mode or want to go faster, guess what? Dont put it in eco mode! Lol, I haven't read the reviews you guys are referring to but they sound like idiots. Even on the Honda website they show videos about the modes and the guy uses eco when he's in stop and go traffic or construction. Also, it's the best way to get mileage on the freeway. When combined with cruise control, hitting Eco mode gives you a significant mpg bump.

I didn't even know the CR-Z existed until about 3 hours before I was driving home in one. I was riding my R6 past the dealership at 9:30pm when I saw it on the Honda lot. I did a double take and immediately flipped around to figure out what I'd just seen. Long story short, I discovered that the sexy car I was looking at was also sporty 6-speed hybrid. The salesman showed me a black one with tint and a spoiler on the showroom floor and I felt like Honda had literally gotten into my head and built the exact car I've always wanted. I've always wanted a hybrid but could never deal with the ugliness or the monotony of what was available. This car is EXACTLY what I want it to be and several of my friends agree and plan to get one themselves. My friends with a Civic SI and S2000 love it the most and have actually called me to ask if they can drive my car again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.