Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! For some reason, there is quite a bit of rust in my car's interior. It's all surface rust so my guess is that someone left a window open and it rained or something and the car got very humid. I think that because of the rust, the handle on the back-rest to tilt the seat forwards is completely frozen, it won't budge at all. The lower handle works fine, thankfully. I've tried going in from the bottom and back-side of the seat to find what the lever connects to to see if I can un-freeze it, but I haven't seen anything. Does anyone know where and how the lever connects in the seat, or how to fix it?

Another more significant issue is that the seat keeps going down. I'm 5'5 so I need the seat pretty much all the way up as high as it'll go because I like to be able to see where I'm going; I'll never understand those people who drive practically laying down with their head a few inches above the car's windows.

The issue is that I'll adjust the seat as high as it'll go until it doesn't go any higher, but after a few weeks I'll notice that it's too low and I am able to pull the lever 2-4 times before the seat is fully raised again. This issue seems to be getting worse, and I'm the only one who drives this car. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
My thought is obtain a replacement seat or seat base and replace it. Before doing that though I would talk to a dealer and see if they will assist you in repairing it as courtesy. You have nothing to lose by asking. Another option is talk to an upholstery or body shop and see if they have any clue as to what has failed and if there is a way to repair it without replacing the whole seat or seat base. @ITEM9 has done a lot with the seats he is not on often but if you can contact him he might have an Idea where to look. He had aftermarket seats in his then went back to factory and changed to the newer color so he is intimately familiar with the seats.

I recently ordered something from them and it arrived quickly and in good condition but it was not as large as a seat. They did not charge me shipping .

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
For your seat-back lever at the top/side of the seat, it has a cable linked to it, which may have gotten unhooked. Ther are zippers on the side edges of the back of the seat-back, which you can get to (and unzip) by unhooking a couple of hooks under the seat in order to get your hand inside the bottom/back flap to unzip, and get some access to the cable.

The up/down lever has plastic covers which can be removed, but there are a couple of screws/bolts which may need to be removed first (but I can't remember for sure, but think you can just pop those plastic covers off to get to the lever mechanism.)

As you're checking for rust, check the front mounting points--they have rusted first on just about every Honda I've ever owned. I'm thinking that's because of winter salt/ice finding its way to those low spots and just sitting there 'til Spring and eating away at the paint/frame rail.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thought is obtain a replacement seat or seat base and replace it.
To be fair it is a minor issue; it's annoying but that's it, so I don't think its worth it for me to just replace the seat, if I can't fix it I can live with it, but I'd rather not
Before doing that though I would talk to a dealer and see if they will assist you in repairing it as courtesy
Yeah I guess I could also have them tell me my new brakes are almost metal-on-metal as a courtesy too lol. You do have a fair point, there's nothing to lose by just asking, but given that I bought the car from a 3rd party and that the only thing I got from a dealer was having a blank key cut, I am 99.99% sure they'd charge me. I just don't trust dealers at all, they don't call them stealerships for no reason. Thanks for the suggestion tho, I'll try it as a last resort.

For your seat-back lever at the top/side of the seat, it has a cable linked to it, which may have gotten unhooked. Ther are zippers on the side edges of the back of the seat-back, which you can get to (and unzip) by unhooking a couple of hooks under the seat in order to get your hand inside the bottom/back flap to unzip, and get some access to the cable.
I think I tried that when I first got the car but I wasn't able to see anything from the rear, I think the cable may be buried under foam. I don't think it's the cable, though, since the handle is completely stuck, I can't move it at all. Good to know there is a cable tho.
The up/down lever has plastic covers which can be removed, but there are a couple of screws/bolts which may need to be removed first (but I can't remember for sure, but think you can just pop those plastic covers off to get to the lever mechanism.)
I hadn't thought of that, but when I have some free time I'll start here. I wouldn't be surprised if I need to remove the seat to get to everything though.
As you're checking for rust, check the front mounting points
Do you mean the front of the rails where the seat bolts to the car? Mine are actually rust-free, thankfully. Even my rust bucket Civic, which does have a bunch of salt on the interior, has them in good shape. my CR-Z has spent its life in Texas and Florida so I don't think it's ever been exposed to road salt, thankfully.

·
Premium Member
6,194 Posts
Do you mean the front of the rails where the seat bolts to the car? Mine are actually rust-free, thankfully. Even my rust bucket Civic, which does have a bunch of salt on the interior, has them in good shape. my CR-Z has spent its life in Texas and Florida so I don't think it's ever been exposed to road salt, thankfully.
Yes, but it hasn't happened to the CR-Z, so far. Hmmmmm...maybe it was due to spilled soft-drinks, since I don't eat/drink in the CR-Z. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts