Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another post about this :blushing:

I know many of the users on here have owned one of these vehicles, or both, and I'm trying to find a car. I need to know about...

MPG's:

Reliability:

Problems:

Pros:

Cons:

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stay away from the Mini. My mother has owned 3 and they have problems. The Mini's come with service plans. It's just a matter of wanting to deal with the hassle.

The 350Z VQ35 motor is bulletproof, but be prepared to pay higher insurance along with higher gas because it requires Premium gas.

·
Registered
693 Posts
]Sorry for another post about this :blushing:

I know many of the users on here have owned one of these vehicles, or both, and I'm trying to find a car. I need to know about...

MPG's: GO TO fuelly.com

Reliability: GO TO Consumer Reports

Problems: Visit forums for MINIs and Z-cars

Pros: Depends on your priorities

Cons: same as above

Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've owned all 3. '05 350Z, '08 MINI Cooper S Clubman.

All very different vehicles.

350Z was a ton of fun, to the level of dangerous - back then I didn't care about MPG, but it was mid-to-low 20s. Don't talk about MPG when you are looking at the 350Z, please. Other than that VQ is one of my favorite powerplants, 350Z exhaust note makes me hard, and killing yourself by doing stupid stuff is extremely easy in that beast.

MINI (or any other BMW) should not be considered unless it's under warranty and you have a dealer nearby (or you don't care about money at all). I bought mine new, had to have it towed twice to the dealer within the first year, eventually bit the bullet on 1st year depreciation and sold it. Tons of fun to drive, 29MPG average over 12,000 miles on premium, no spare tire on S models (runflats, $300 to replace).

Got specific questions - feel free to ask.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We've got a 370Z (2009) as well as the CRZ. 370Z is a track car and also used as a daily driver from time to time. It's a blast to drive, 'nuf said. Cost to insure the 370Z is about 4 times what the CRZ costs on our policy - it took a big jump last year due to cost to repair 370Z's being higher than anticipated.

The plusses on the 370Z are many and I love the car, but the CRZ is a different car with different advantages. More room in the hatch, better mpg, cheaper insurance, CRZ uses regular instead of premium, CRZ is cheaper to buy, has a more pasenger friendly ride in terms of older passengers find the 370Z too low and too harsh (with track suspension anyway). Both great cars but are so different how can you compare?

On the mini, we've only owned one many years ago in the UK, so can't comment on the modern ones. I did consider one when I got the CRZ, but having a "miniZ" was appealing and once I test drove the CRZ, I was sold. To me, the CRZ does all the things I wish the 370Z did as a daily driver. And the 370Z is there to do all the things I wish the CRZ could do on the track.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What Iran said!!!

hard to believe Porsche has the least problems! They must have improved drastically since I had anything to do with one. our 370Z has had no problems at all in two years, so must have been lucky according to that chart as Nissans don't do particularly well in that survey.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I get a kick out of this everytime I see it. Notice that this is per 100 vehicles. Divide by 100 to get the average per car.

Now look at this way: for the entire auto industry the number of problems ranges from 1.1 to 2.55. That's right: the average difference per car from best to worst is only about one and a half problems!

Compared to past decades the quality standard across the board now is so high that you're debating about the noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I traded in my 350Z for the CR-Z. They are definitely 2 different animals and can't be compared to each other. I loved the 350Z but it was a matter of practicality that lead me to the CR-Z. There is a lot more maintenance involved with the 350Z. I averaged about 21-22mpg. I only had it for about 6 months and had no problems. Mine was an '04 that had 56k miles when I bought it. There are a few common issues with the 350Z:

-Power window motor failure is common
-"Notchy" transmission and synchro failure
-Oil consumption (mostly on the '05/'06 models I believe)
-The stock stereo is terrible, even with the "premium" Bose option.
-Gas gauge sensors are notoriously bad. I had to pull both sensors out of the tanks (yeah, it's a divided tank with 2 sensors) and clean the contacts. When I bought the car a full tank would only register about 3/4 full on the gauge and it annoyed me.

The CR-Z is not nearly as fun to drive, but the overall driving experience is a lot better for me. It's more comfortable, costs much less to own, and I'm not always stressed about "what if" the tranny goes out or I need to spend $400 on power window motors or need a new clutch, etc. Not to mention, after driving 360 miles on the CR-Z, I fill the tank with 9 gallons of 87 octane where the same miles driven on the 350Z required about 17 gallons of premium.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Coming from a Mini/ MINI lover to the one millionth degree................... Stay away from MINI.

I owned a '04 MINI Cooper S from 2300 miles on it was in the shop every month. In 42k miles I had to have the front and rear suspension rebuilt (rear twice), Coolant bottle, power steering pump and hoses (Which there is now a a law suit over), Window motors, A/C system, fuel pump, 4 motor mounts, mushrooming strut towers, O2 sensors, 3 clutches and fly wheels, and more rattles than you can shake a stick at. The MINI was only tracked one time in the beginning because I felt after all its problems it was not capable or safe enough to do so again.

The new ones with the peugeot motor are haveing timing chain issues with the tensioner breaking and destroying the engine and deposits building up on the valves causing rattleing and valve train issues and they are still haveing clutch issues.

Lets put it this way- my classic 71 Mini has been more reliable. If you know anything about MINI/ Mini's that is saying something.

MINI's are fantastic to drive and incredibly fun but they are expensive to keep and maintain. Someday I hope to get a MINI again but not until BMW gets there act together.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I get a kick out of this everytime I see it. Notice that this is per 100 vehicles. Divide by 100 to get the average per car.

Now look at this way: for the entire auto industry the number of problems ranges from 1.1 to 2.55. That's right: the average difference per car from best to worst is only about one and a half problems!

Compared to past decades the quality standard across the board now is so high that you're debating about the noise.
You could look at it another way - your twice as likely to have problems with a Mini than a new Porsche :wiggle:

Even if everyone is more reliable these days there are still those who are more or less reliable than others.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You could look at it another way - your twice as likely to have problems with a Mini than a new Porsche :wiggle:

Even if everyone is more reliable these days there are still those who are more or less reliable than others.
LOL, CNet did a review of the Mini Countryman and it died during the shoot. (about 4:20)

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Freaking hilarious! Watch to the end for the short bloopers.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
LOL, CNet did a review of the Mini Countryman and it died during the shoot. (about 4:20)

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Freaking hilarious! Watch to the end for the short bloopers.
That is way to funny! Last week when I went to my friends funeral he was a MINI club member. We had over 35 MINI's and me in my CR-Z. On the way to the cemetery we had two MINI's break down. It is so sad BMW can't get its act together. It really is a nice car and fun to drive but the unreliability of it really sucks and destroys any fun or enjoyment of it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That is way to funny! Last week when I went to my friends funeral he was a MINI club member. We had over 35 MINI's and me in my CR-Z. On the way to the cemetery we had two MINI's break down. It is so sad BMW can't get its act together. It really is a nice car and fun to drive but the unreliability of it really sucks and destroys any fun or enjoyment of it.
That's amazing! Two of 35 in a such a short period of time. In the video, I loved the expression on his face as the car took him "off script". Priceless!

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
^ and to think I was considering buying one for the wife.. Even have a my-mini PDF on my desktop...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
That's amazing! Two of 35 in a such a short period of time. In the video, I loved the expression on his face as the car took him "off script". Priceless!
Not really.... My MINI/ Mini club has over a thousand members and is the largest club in the western United States and there is always someone somewhere in our club having serious issues.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mini Cooper ~ CR-Z ~ Nissan 350Z
Well the 1st two seem like they could be compared to each other, but then you go from FWD hatchback to RWD sportscar, sort of an odd 3-way match

I hate the MINI, and hear about the lack of reliability and the high cost of crappy service all the time, that alone says no to me, but then I also despise the interior, gauges in the center of the dash are not for me, they are cheap for making left-hand and right-hand models

If you are looking for a RWD sportscar, the Z is a great choice, it will use gas, and it will go like a bat out of hell

If you are looking for a FWD hatchback, the CR-Z is a great choice, it will be fuel efficient and it will not go like a bat out of hell

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.