Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is my delima (sp), I've got a great hookup at my local honda dealer who is holding on to a CR-Z for me....now, I have another friend of mine what has a used car lot that has a Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe. I like the Benz when it first came out back in 03, if I'm not mistaken. I won't post the cost of the vehicle, but would like some thoughts on this.

Here is the CR-Z:

And, here is the Benz:

Sorry for the pics as they were taken with my phone cam.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Benz looks clean. Those headlights need to be buffed, stat.

I'm not sure on the C class, but I know MB build quality as a whole took a dump around the time the W210 body of E class came out (96 I believe) and didn't recover until recently. It arguably has yet to fully recover.

Keeping that in mind with the potential for issues and high repair/maintenance costs I'd go with the CR-Z, even with a higher buy-in cost. Sure you save money used but a combination of high cost repairs and maintenance coupled with a higher likely hood of getting stranded when you least expect it aren't worth it in this case, IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Had a 2005 c230 and it was the worst car i ever had!! Put me down 3 times and was in the shop all the time! I got it new so i know it was ok but just not good cars any more. I had a 2003 E55 was doing same thing alway in shop! So i wpuld go for the Z
I love mine...

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What year is the C230?
There were two engines (1.8L/2.3L) depends on year model. If I remember correctly, the coupe didn't get the 2.5L V6 as the C230 sedan.

Since there are no mileage, age and price of c230, I can't tell if it's worth to buy. I guess USD$4000-7000 should be some numbers to look at.

·
Registered
674 Posts
C230 auto is slower than 6-speed CR-Z, gas mileage is worse, obviously, handling might be better or similar, and it's also way out of warranty and very expensive to maintain. Besides the RWD, that Benz has nothing on the CR-Z.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What year is the C230?
There were two engines (1.8L/2.3L) depends on year model. If I remember correctly, the coupe didn't get the 2.5L V6 as the C230 sedan.

Since there are no mileage, age and price of c230, I can't tell if it's worth to buy. I guess USD$4000-7000 should be some numbers to look at.
The year is an 2003 C230 and it has est. 58,000 miles when I checked. Its also a 6MT.

·
Registered
674 Posts
6MT is a tad quicker than CR-Z and at this mileage/year should be half the price. Still can't justify the possible maintenance headaches you'll get for the next 3 years while the CR-Z is under warranty. 1.8L supercharged I4 is a fun little engine, though. My friend has an '05 C230 sedan and it's a cool little car - still slow, but handles well and is very presentable (it did cost him close to $2K in parts last year and he does all the work on it himself).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Damn that benz is ugly as hell.. I dont know about you all but if i get a benz i will make sure i have the money saved up to get a nice one! CR-Z all the way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
c230.
If you can get the price around $5000-7000, go for it. Chip it if it hasn't been done. Enjoy it for a few years. If it ended up getting you into headache, buy the MMC CR-Z then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.