Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving home daydreaming about the summer and I had what I would call a brilliant (maybe) or crazy (likely) idea. Let me know what you guys think.

So the owner of a CRZ is probably an enthusiast of some sort. Either a more responsible Honda guy or maybe an eco warrior with a wild side. I would tend to think other hybrid owners are also enthusiasts. The average car buyer does not go out and get a hybrid in the US. Priority here is usually interior size and "safety" and you know creature comforts. The average person probably does not go in hungry for a Prius or Fusion hybrid.

Car nerds, slow cars... why not design an event similar to an autocross but where time isn't the winner its fuel economy in comparison to your peers? I'm not sure if the idea would be popular but it could be pretty cool. It may even be something that could be pitched to the NNJ SCCA or some other group that already holds autocrosses. They have timing equipment.

People who are really good at driving economically could help others in ride alongs. People could show off their cars etc. I would think the rules would be pretty simple. Class cars by their city MPG. (20-24, 25-29 , 30-34 etc) and then create a course of cones. Cars would need a MPG logger or maybe folks could bring ODB2 + phone scanners to the event. No stopping on the course and no going off the course just like an autox. Alot of the same things would work to increase mileage, the racing line is actually the most fuel efficient one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can imagine the hypermilers taking hours to finish the course. Don't think I want to wait to take my turn. Can't imagine spectators. Perhaps something like a Road Rally with limits on time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not a bad idea. Maybe drive the course at an average pace and double that. Heck i bet they can't drive too slow to be honest the car is terribly inefficient in first gear and when launching/feathering the clutch.

PS you're beating me by 1.5 mpg :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.