Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my crz 2 weeks ago and am still getting used to when to use (and also how to use) all three driving modes. I live in British Columbia and travel a good 50 km to work every morning (which is most of the reason I chose hybrid), including quite a bit of straining up a steep and winding mountain side. I'm trying very hard to increase my fuel economy but you can imagine it's very difficult to maintain one where I live. Right now it reads 7.3l/100km (32 mpg) which is already far better than my previous vehicle but I would definitely like to maximize it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Chris

· Registered
86 Posts
I don't know how to improve mileage while going up hills. I would like some ideas on how to maintain 70 mph with curse control while going up hills. I haven't figured out the proper mode. I end up shifting down to fifth to maintain speed. This cannot be good for mileage. My Honda Civic SI goes up the same hills in sixth with the A/C on and it holds 70 mph. Have you found a method to do this the CR-Z?

· Registered
51 Posts
I purchased my crz 2 weeks ago and am still getting used to when to use (and also how to use) all three driving modes. I live in British Columbia and travel a good 50 km to work every morning (which is most of the reason I chose hybrid), including quite a bit of straining up a steep and winding mountain side. I'm trying very hard to increase my fuel economy but you can imagine it's very difficult to maintain one where I live. Right now it reads 7.3l/100km (32 mpg) which is already far better than my previous vehicle but I would definitely like to maximize it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Chris
Hi Chris,
I too have been experimenting on which 'mode' to use whilst driving up steep hills in Somerset, UK (we haven't got any mountains!)....In ECO mode there seems to be no power at all & you drive up at a snails' pace....no good if someone is following you!
In NORMAL mode I always have to change down to at least 4th & then of course the fuel economy drops!
And as for SPORT mode....yes no problem in 4th or 5th....but drinks the fuel.
My previous car was a 1.4 diesel Toyota Yaris & it would fly up the same hills in top gear (5th) no problem at all !!
Anyone else with any comments on this issue?:think:

· Registered
60 Posts
Try accelerating down hill. Do this with a gentle pressure on the accelerator to keep as low consumption as possible, and then as you hit the hill just keep the same pressure. If done correctly you will go pretty far up the hill and not use more gas than on a normal road.

That way you use the "free" energy achived downhill in the up hill drive.
When doing that I get a 20km/l total (5l/100km).

I also tried different modes, ECO is not the best one for me driving in hills. Normal or Sport is far better. It seems as the power somehow helps me in keeping low fuel consumption, in that "environment"

Also try lift your foot a little from the accelerator and experiment with how much pressure is needed to maintain speed. I'm surprised how little pressure is necessary.

Yesterday I drove home late from work in sport-mode. 6000rev in 3rd and 4 fourth gear. Topping at 145km/h and 50km/h through the cities. I arrived home (45km) with an average of 17,8km/L :thumbup: So as little pressure on the accelerator as possible, helps a lot.

· Registered
86 Posts
My car only 38 miles on it and only drove it one day before going out of town. I hope the power increases after it breaks in. Has anyone noticed increase power after break in?

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
have you tried Cruise Control up the hill while in Eco? i read somewhere that while in Eco and using CC, the car lets the speed vary as much at 5-7mph from the set CC speed... this might allow for a sort of "Pulse & Glide" technique used by many Hypermilers for dramatically increasing FE...

basically the concept is to pulse (accelerate) to the desired speed, then glide (coast) to the lowest desired speed... doing this might help but it might do the opposite b/c since you're driving uphill, the gliding part might not be as affective...

since Eco allows for the most mph off the set speed, this will probably not work at all in Normal or Sport...

· Registered
85 Posts
Hello Chris,

I live in Colorado and took my Z up to the mountains yesterday. There were some pretty steep grades. I found the best performance was in Sport mode along with great handling. I got 32.5 mpg going up, and 45.8 combined mpg overall in my trip up and back down the mountains.

I think this is more than just how much mpg we are getting on the upside of the trip each day, but what are you doing overall each day. Even so, 32.5 going up steep grades is really good mileage, but 45.8 is much, much better.

sparrow

· Registered
159 Posts
Hello Chris,

I live in Colorado and took my Z up to the mountains yesterday. There were some pretty steep grades. I found the best performance was in Sport mode along with great handling. I got 32.5 mpg going up, and 45.8 combined mpg overall in my trip up and back down the mountains.

I think this is more than just how much mpg we are getting on the upside of the trip each day, but what are you doing overall each day. Even so, 32.5 going up steep grades is really good mileage, but 45.8 is much, much better.

sparrow
That is excellent mileage going up the grades and overall too! Can you tell us at what rpm you'd upshift going up and what rpm range you were usually within?

· Registered
375 Posts

Chris

Don't know if you figured it out yet since this was posted awhile back.

I don't think you could do anything about MPG going steep uphill. What I did was sport mode all the way. You can be gentle or hard on throttle going uphill. I'd let go of the throttle and glide when going downhill but very very gentle on throttle when I need it. You make up the MPG gliding downhill...just don't follow too close to the guy in front cause you don't want to apply brake and loose momentum (only apply brake when necessary for safety).

Personally I like to be in control of the vehicle therefore did not use cruise control. Using 6th gear is out of the question going uphill. Glide downhill in 6th gear to regenerate battery with no throttle apply. Good luck!!!:wavey:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.