Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we seem to have quite a few knowledgeable people on here, I have yet more stupid questions as usual ;)

How complicated is it to install an LSD? I will most likely be using a shop to do this or have a friend of mine who used to be a Honda mechanic do it.

How will it affect the warranty?

Which one would you choose and what type? - I've looked around and so far I've seen mfactory, cusco and spoon.

I will be using the car as my daily driver also in winter on snow, as well as competing in autoX or autoslalom.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Complicated. You have to drop and open the transmission. If i were looking i would go with the MFactory one. In their thread they also have a comparison of the different types of LSD and where they work best / the maintenance required

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unless you plan on tracking your car, a lsd is not worth the time or the money involved.

*As for your warranty, adding a lsd will give Honda a great way to void your drivetrain warranty. You can scream Magnusson-Moss all you want, but if something does break, or the install is improper, the headache to you will be significant.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
^ like he said. LSD is more for racing, especially quarter miles to reduce the initial torque spin at take-off.

if that is your plan and you don't care about warranty then I suggest Quaiffe for LSD, it will be a bit more expensive that others but they are the best performance and quality wise. not sure if they make one for the CRZ though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
LSD's are definitely not an install for the average joe. it requires the removal and tear down of your tranny, plus you have to shim the LSD to proper specs to ensure that you don't tear up your tranny.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/j-racing/4172-ajr-crz-x-mfactory-lsd-final-gear-installed.html
Since transmission will need to be opened up, you may want to put in a final gear like that post has done.

I don't know about the warranty policy in Norway. I guess it is not covered and Honda will void the warranty. However if you don't tell and you need a new transmission under warranty, it is possible that Honda will just swap you a new one. Unless there's a mark or some sort of an easy trick to find out that the transmission has been opened up or not.

Beside Mfactory, Spoon and CUSCO, M&M Honda, OS Giken and ATS&Across also make LSD for CR-Z.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do plan on competing in auto slalom events as I said, and I did feel that I would benefit from one the last two races I was in. Researching a bit more last night and looking at the AJR thread I may go for the final gear as well. Definitely something I want professionals to install now that I see what is involved though. Considering taking a drive down to Germany and have it installed at one of the mfactory dealers down there and maybe visiting the Nürburgring as well ;)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I do plan on competing........drive down to Germany and have it installed at one of the mfactory dealers down there and maybe visiting the Nürburgring as well ;)
Sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup:
I also had taken my CR-Z to an outdoor go-kart track. I definitely wanted an LSD.
In my own opinion, I will only change final gear if I keep the engine NA. For adding any kind of force induction, I think the stock 4.11 final drive is better.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt I will be going for any kind of forced induction any time soon. It is close to impossible to do in Norway, legally that is. Even people I've met in the traffic division in the police say to forget about doing it legally. You would need papers from Honda stating that the car can safely handle the power increase as well as having TÜV papers for every single part. Then if you get that far, the car has to pass inspection at a traffic station, where they can fail the car if they feel like it for no reason. If you by some miracle manage to get past all that, you then have to pay tax per HP gained. The next person that does it however will get away with just using the same parts that you did and paying the tax. /rant

At least 2 of the locations I will be competing at regularily are using parts of go cart tracks. The others usually use open parking lots or sections of a road track. On the fastest section of the last race I didn't even bottom out second gear, so lowering that a bit to give me more torque as well as adding an LSD for those tight turns will help I imagine. After all, we can't have a BMW in the lead year after year. 3 of us in the Honda club are mind set on beating the BMWs ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had LSD on my Civic Type R EP3: it was the best component i've ever mounted... hundreds times better than air filter or exhaust...
But is really good if you have more than 180cv only!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd love to install an LSD into my forthcoming CR-Z. I had quaifes front and rear in my Subaru, and would definitely go that route on this car.

But it doesn't look like one is listed directly for the CR-Z. Does this car share its 6speed with any other Honda model? :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can find a couple of shop on line for an LSD for your CR-Z but i think you don't need it... 130cv on the front without turboboost are not so difficult to control...
LSD is useful with more than 170cv on the front, specially with turbo...

You're lucky: i've found the link for the spoon lsd:
http://www.spoonsportseurope.net/products/crz/drive-train.html/

·
Registered
95 Posts
The 6MT can equip a differential made for an RSX. No options exist for CVT CR-Zs.
Eh, if you bought a car with a CVT chances are you aren't aware of why you would want an LSD anyhow :giggle:
Around here, the roads have such crap asphalt and are about 60% tar sealer snakes, any sort of traction adding device is appreciated. There were spots on my normal morning commute where if it was raining, I could not get solid traction in my Jetta TDI until the top of 3rd gear.

Kinda wish it was an option from the factory; never fun risking a warranty fight just to improve upon stock... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
OBX has been making LSDs for at least 5 years now. In my last sports car OBX LSDs where a common, cheep LSD for the car.
No kidding? I haven't paid attention to them in a while.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
guys sorry to bring this thread from the dead but I have the m factory lsd that was designed for the 2011 crz and i have a 2013. im thinking of doing the install with my friend to save $$ but i remember when i bought it last year and called m factory to get a quote from them on their install price they mentioned there might be a difference in some bolt size or something between the zf1 and zf2 and something about grabbing a part off the euro version to install correctly. i cant quote what the guy said as this was prolly half a year ago but i was wondering if anyone has insight on this install and/or has anyone installed the lsd on a newer crz and run into any issues? kinda wana figure this out before my car is all apart and get this done all in one day...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.