Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started seeing a lot of disjointed post associated with lowering the CR-Z. With the Swift Group buy and others purchasing springs, a thread that was easy to find - one stop shop - might be a good thing.

Thinking anyone who has lowered can post pics, specs, talk about results and and answer questions. Those who have not can more easily find answers. Also a place to link other threads of benefit.

I'll Start - Previous Thread - http://www.crzforum.com/forum/handling-suspension/3245-going-do-eibach-pro-series-springs.html

Summarized:
Eibach Springs - Drop approx 1"

Positive.
- Looks outstanding IMO - What it should look like coming off the lot.
- A bit of a firmer ride, but still comfortable.
- IMO not enough of a drop to require roll center adjusters (RCAs).. Still feels stable.
- Did not need camber adjustment.
- Alignment was checked, but did not need re-alignment directly after install. *May need one after settling, but have not driven enough since drop to determine. Still drives fine.
- Better aero at highway speeds.
- Front wheels do not get so eh squirly at fast acceleration.

Negative.
- Is a little more eh "bouncy" on some road surfaces. But not really enough to compain about.
- I'm thinking road noise is a little more prevelant. IMO. Probably correctable with higher quality rubber.
- Although it has not really affect me, the front end - especially with the Honda Spoiler - may scrape the road more often.
- Impact on stock suspension. Advertised as minimal, but only time will tell.

-

·
Registered
618 Posts
The effect of driving a lowered car in the snow needs to be included as well.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely. Any positives or negatives.

My primary concern is what the long term effects will be on the suspension. I like it now - everything seems good - I like it - But, more to follow I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
well the affects will be that with the lower clearance you might not be able to get threw certain situations. your have more snow accumulation in between the wheel and splash guard and something turning ration maybe affected by it. oh and possibly more paint chip :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
well the affects will be that with the lower clearance you might not be able to get threw certain situations. your have more snow accumulation in between the wheel and splash guard and something turning ration maybe affected by it. oh and possibly more paint chip
I know. I'm struggling to figure out the positives in that scenario. ;) But hopefully that's a rare occurrence.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know. I'm struggling to figure out the positives in that scenario. ;) But hopefully that's a rare occurrence.
I'm not sure 1" is going to make that much of a difference as opposed to "slamming" the car (big drop) But, I cannot attest to any personal experience. But, if living in an area with a lot of snow and it is the car you would have to drive, then it needs to be considered in your decision making process.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
666 Posts
Negative.
- Is a little more eh "bouncy" on some road surfaces. But not really enough to compain about.
- I'm thinking road noise is a little more prevelant. IMO. Probably correctable with higher quality rubber.
- Although it has not really affect me, the front end - especially with the Honda Spoiler - may scrape the road more often.
- Impact on stock suspension. Advertised as minimal, but only time will tell.
Scotty, can you elaborate a little on what you are experiencing that you referred to as "bouncy"? I have not experienced any bounce at all with the Eibach springs, but I guess it depends on what you mean. I consider bounce to be excessive rebound, where you hit a bump and the car continues bouncing several times before leveling out. This happens with springs that are poorly matched to the shock absorbers, where they are so stiff that the struts cannot control the rebound. Only when you have actual bouncing from too stiff of springs, will it cause premature wear from overworking the shocks.

If you just mean that they are a bit firmer so you can feel the bumps in the road, then I agree. I think Eibach did a great job making springs that pair well with the stock struts, but also provide better handling and aesthetic appeal without sacrificing much, if anything.

Here is a link to my thread:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/handling-suspension/4075-my-eibach-springs-home-install-write-up-review.html

I will be adding more pics to that thread as requested, but here is a quick peek.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scotty, can you elaborate a little on what you are experiencing that you referred to as "bouncy"? I have not experienced any bounce at all with the Eibach springs, but I guess it depends on what you mean. I consider bounce to be excessive rebound, where you hit a bump and the car continues bouncing several times before leveling out. This happens with springs that are poorly matched to the shock absorbers, where they are so stiff that the struts cannot control the rebound. Only when you have actual bouncing from too stiff of springs, will it cause premature wear from overworking the shocks.

If you just mean that they are a bit firmer so you can feel the bumps in the road, then I agree. I think Eibach did a great job making springs that pair well with the stock struts, but also provide better handling and aesthetic appeal without sacrificing much, if anything.

Here is a link to my thread:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/handl...ach-springs-home-install-write-up-review.html

I will be adding more pics to that thread as requested, but here is a quick peek.
Yea, would classify is as just a bit firmer... Say - going down an uneven concrete slab road you'll feel what could be considered more rebound than stock. But nothing at all to complain about. I like them and am extremely satisfied with the Eibachs on the Honda OEM 17" rims/tires which are a bit firmer with the lower profile.

BTW, said it on the above thread, but your DIY and pics were an outstanding contribution to the Forum. Thanks..

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yea, would classify is as just a bit firmer... Say - going down an uneven concrete slab road you'll feel what could be considered more rebound than stock. But nothing at all to complain about. I like them and am extremely satisfied with the Eibachs on the Honda OEM 17" rims/tires which are a bit firmer with the lower profile.

BTW, said it on the above thread, but your DIY and pics were an outstanding contribution to the Forum. Thanks..
Good, thats what I thought you meant :grin: I was going to say, if you're getting bounciness out of these then something must be wrong lol.

I agree with your summation of the ride quality, and it is probably a bit more comfy on my 16's with higher profile tires. I would not want to go with any stiffer springs for my daily driver, this car will probably never see the track so I think this is the perfect street setup. Especially compared to the rock hard coilovers I had on my del sol prior to this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.