Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for that. Ordered some.

I picked up my CRZ today. Really pleased with it. A few little age related marks to sort out but overall it’s in great condition and drives very well.

The guy serviced it but I’m thinking would I be better to book it into a Honda Main Dealer for a complete service and check over? Should I use the main dealer to ensure the correct oil/fluids/filters and Honda parts etc are used or would it be ok to use any reputable mechanic who can then stamp my service book?

First thing I’m doing tomorrow is putting new tyres on it and I’ll probably get the alloys touched up, no kerbing just some light ‘scratching’. Maybe a little tint on the rear windows also. But all in good time!

I’ll have to get some photos in the daylight. Really pleased to have joined the club! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
I have used both Dealers and a known good mechanic. Others have done the work themselves. I just make sure the Service History book is filled out. See if your service history book is filled out.

·
Registered
2011 CR-Z GT-Navi Milano Red
179 Posts
Should I use the main dealer to ensure the correct oil/fluids/filters and Honda parts etc are used or would it be ok to use any reputable mechanic who can then stamp my service book?
I would rather say to do all maintenance by yourself. For me the main dealer is the last place I can trust...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks all. I bought it from a second hand car dealer and he did service it so maybe that’s enough for now. Unfortunately I am not mechanically minded at all but will look for the air filter etc to see if it’s been replaced. The car was previously owned by a mechanic who I assume did his own servicing so it only has dealer stamps in the book up to 17,000 miles. It now has approx 36,000.
I’ve read about software updates that can only be done by Honda. Would this be a reason to book in with a main dealer?

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Call the dealer and give them the VIN ask if that and the airbag recall was done. They would have a record of it in the system if the car was serviced. Hopefully all dealers have access to a common system for things like that. I do not know if that exists there( or here for that matter). I hate that the service history book was not filled out and I would if it were me do all maintenance (or have it done) and just start from there. I have had to remember to have service places fill my book out. You can do what I do yearly which is replace both air filters and replace the wiper blades. Anyone should be able to do that. Just because it was owned by a mechanic does not mean it was well maintained. It would have been nice if he filled out the book. I have a friend who is a certified mechanic and his vehicles always had to wait to be done so he could take care of the paying customers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Call the dealer and give them the VIN ask if that and the airbag recall was done. They would have a record of it in the system if the car was serviced. Hopefully all dealers have access to a common system for things like that. I do not know if that exists there( or here for that matter). I hate that the service history book was not filled out and I would if it were me do all maintenance (or have it done) and just start from there. I have had to remember to have service places fill my book out. You can do what I do yearly which is replace both air filters and replace the wiper blades. Anyone should be able to do that. Just because it was owned by a mechanic does not mean it was well maintained. It would have been nice if he filled out the book. I have a friend who is a certified mechanic and his vehicles always had to wait to be done so he could take care of the paying customers.
Thank you.

For peace of mind I’ve just booked it into a very reputable mechanics to have a full service done and the car checked over. It may need some lubrication and or new bushings? on the steering rack/suspension as I can hear a bit of creaking when turning at low speed (in a car park for example).

I also had all 4 tyres replaced this morning.

I’ll find out if the airbag recall has been done.
Glad I found this forum!

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
While on the phone with the dealer ask if the TSB ( Technical Service Bulletin) AKA software update has been done. What year is this car? That TSB was only needed for 2010-12 cars. For years after that they were shipped with it already applied.

Please do not pay to have the wiper blades and 2 filters changed they are easy enough and much cheaper to do them yourself.

When others have talked about new cars I always recommend to have all fluids, filters and wiper blades to be changed either by the shop or the owner and to have tires replaced if more than 5 years old. I tend to replace fluids more often than some and the schedule. I change brake fluid every 2 years. Transmission fluid(I have a CVT) and its filter on back of radiator every 3 years or when minder tells me( not all markets have that system). Coolant every 2 years too which is way more frequent than recommended. When the minder tells me or every oil change (10 K miles) I have tires cross rotated.

When you have the service done fill out the book.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thank you.

For peace of mind I’ve just booked it into a very reputable mechanics to have a full service done and the car checked over. It may need some lubrication and or new bushings? on the steering rack/suspension as I can hear a bit of creaking when turning at low speed (in a car park for example).

I also had all 4 tyres replaced this morning.

I’ll find out if the airbag recall has been done.
Glad I found this forum!
Low speed creaking is something that my CR-Z also does. I always thought it's common for older cars, but please share it if your mechanic finds anything. Then I might have to look into it too.

Regarding the recalls, the dealership should be able to check it for you, but you can also try this link as a start: Honda Owners | Recalls and Updates | Honda UK

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Phoned the dealer and they told me there was no recall or software update needed for the car? It’s a January 2012 so find that surprising.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I don’t want to start another thread so I’ll ask here. Hope that’s ok. Question about the lights.

When I turn the light stock to the first position (the one just before main beam) the only front lights that are on are the daytime running lights, no ‘side lights’. Rear lights do come on. My manual says the daytime running lights should go out when in this position. The main beam and high beam work fine. Should I have other front lights on along with the daytime running lights when in that first position?
I’ve no bulb warnings on the dash.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
Do you have the LED strips or just the headlights? If you do not have the LED strip DRLs then the high beams will be on but dimmed. If you have the LED strips they will be on when in DRL mode and only they will be on. Markers will be off tail lights will be off turn signals will flash. What year is your car and do you have HIDs or not?

Being you are across the pond and it is a 2012 I am not sure if you have the LED strips or not and then the question is do you have HIDs or halogen high beams?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Do you have the LED strips or just the headlights? If you do not have the LED strip DRLs then the high beams will be on but dimmed. If you have the LED strips they will be on when in DRL mode and only they will be on. Markers will be off tail lights will be off turn signals will flash. What year is your car and do you have HIDs or not?

Being you are across the pond and it is a 2012 I am not sure if you have the LED strips or not and then the question is do you have HIDs or halogen high beams?
I should be paying you for your help and advice!

I have the led strips that run along the bottom. Car is a 2012 and embarrassingly I’m not sure if I have HIDs or Halogen. I’ll check that tomorrow.

The manual threw me when it said DRL lights should go out when the lighting stock is turned to the ‘side light’ (parking light in US?) position, but that could be for a different model. The tail lights and leds are on when in that position but nothing else.

Next position is main beam and then a pull back on the stock for high beam.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
OK LEDS are DRL They will be on whenever car is on and switch is in off or Auto and it is light out. When you turn on the high beams they will I believe go off. I believe your manual is wrong but if you have HIDs as i said either have the switch in off or on not auto that will extend the life of the HID bulbs. The marker light position is different in different contries due to lighting laws so not sure what to tell you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In the UK it is the GT spec that has HID lights with an auto option on the stalk using ambient light sensor - you can also tell because they have the little rectangles on the bumper for the headlamp washers that are required for HID.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The LED DRLs will be on in any setting for EU-spec CR-Zs:
  • OFF: DRLs on (full brightness)
  • “First click”: DRLs dimmed, rear lights on
  • ON: DRLs dimmed, normal (HID) beams on, rear lights on

Hopefully, that’s clear enough. So it’s correct that only the DRLs and rear lights are on if you put the lights in the “first click”.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Hopefully, that’s clear enough. So it’s correct that only the DRLs and rear lights are on if you put the lights in the “first click”.
Brilliant! Thanks for clarifying.

·
Super Moderator
7,362 Posts
With the LEDs are they dimmed? I thought that was only when the high beams were used as DRLs? LEDs are not usually able to be dimmed. They may look dimmed due to the other lights being brighter. I think they are either on or off. I am probably wrong since i am in a different market and never looked at it closely.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts