Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First time poster on here so go easy on me :). I’m very much considering buying my first CRZ and will hopefully be viewing one tomorrow. It’s an early 2012 model with just over 30,000 miles. Mileage seems very low for a 9 year old car. Would the lack of use have had any detrimental impact of the IMA battery (i.e not being charged often enough etc)? Just curious and also any other advice on what to look out for would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Take a look at this thread
My standard advice on all CR-Zs is forget it is a Hybrid and have it checked out like any other used car with one exception have the under hood battery either load tested or replaced once you get it as that is usually the first failure due to the fact that CR-Zs have no alternator.

The Owners manual recommends to drive it at least 30 Minutes a month so if driven often enough it is probably ok. One thing to note only 2 members(so far) have had to replace the IMA battery. it is also the first thing people ask about when looking at a CR-Z. IMO it is a non issue. I second the advice to query @PeterPerkins he is the forum expert on the IMA system.

Other than the Under hood battery the common issues not in any particular order is outside door handles failing, IMA fan failures, ABS module and other ABS and VSA issues, AC clutch needing shims removed, AC relay issues but none are high percentage failures.

First step if anything is wrong with the car ( after you own it) is have the under hood battery either load tested or replaced. Many warning lights come on when that battery fails.

Anything that can be done or is needed for a CR-Z is here in this forum somewhere. Please try searching first and add to an existing thread if possible.

Once you get it please make an introduction thread with details and of course pictures.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That is pretty low mileage on a 9yo car, but since it has the older NiMH battery it will be a lot safer over time. It may need a deep-cycle refresh, following instructions from peter in one of his VERY informative and useful threads.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
To know for sure have someone with an HDS pull the current SOC and other parameters. Still have it checked out as you would any other used car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not in every case. Maybe somebody used it to commute to work 10 miles a day, five days a week. It's difficult to guess...
I think was the case. It’s a one owner car from new and was used as a commuter, basically driving a short distance each day down a motorway. I’m going to view it tomorrow and will update the thread.
If I go for it I will be getting a full service done for piece of mind. Thanks for all the help. Appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
Good practice with any used car is to do all possible maintenance unless there is a service history book in the car that has been filled out. We have had a few members from across the pond with fully up to date MOT but they found things like very dirty filters etc.

IMO at minimum all filters and fluids, wiper blades, & tires( if more than 5 years old). It never hurts to do all of it early and then know what you have. I like to hand wash the vehicle to see what condition it is in and to see what may need some extra care and detailing.

Good luck with it and it sounds like if it is in good condition and properly maintained and all works it will be a great buy if the numbers make sense and it has no major issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys, thanks for all the very helpful replies. Was planning to see the car today but will now be tomorrow. I read a little more and if honest I’m a little concerned about the IMA battery (seems to be a common concern for first time buyers!).

I know there are a lot of high mileage CRZ’s still on their first battery but in my case it’s more the age of the battery (9 years) rather than the miles it’s been put through. Does age play a significant part in battery degradation or is mileage the biggest factor in that?

Still, based on the advice given I feel much better equipped when viewing the car and looking out for potential issues!

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
I will repeat my initial advice and comment. Of all the members here there have been only 2 who have had an IMA battery failure and subsequent replacement. It truly is not anything to worry about. Forget it is a hybrid at all.

As you stated it is the thing most buyers are concerned about and as it is different from what they are used to that makes sense. Just take our word for it that it is a bullet proof design and all you need to do is drive it once a month to exercise the batteries. The cool thing is if the IMA battery fails the car can still be driven but if the IMA system fails then the under hood battery does not get charged but at least you know with a jump starter you will get it home to have it fixed. It reverts to a very low displacement Internal combustion engine car with no boost or range extension. It is very very rare to have any issues with these cars. All it requires is once a year ( or 10KMile ) maintenance which in my case has been just an oil change and a tire rotation. It is very inexpensive to keep it happy and takes regular gas.
Just Buy it and drive it.

The battery is very forgiving and there are things you can do to keep it happy and to restore some capacity. See @PeterPerkins very detailed postings.

The bigger concern if there is one would be do you like the car and will it meet your needs? I spent a lot of time before i bought mine deciding if it was a good replacement for my previous car. In my case I live in the US and we have no back seats. It replaced a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP ( supercharged) coupe. They are two very different vehicles and I have not regretted buying the CR-Z. Don't over think it! Go drive it, test everything in it and forget it is is a hybrid. If you like it and the price, buy it.

Guys, thanks for all the very helpful replies. Was planning to see the car today but will now be tomorrow. I read a little more and if honest I’m a little concerned about the IMA battery (seems to be a common concern for first time buyers!).

I know there are a lot of high mileage CRZ’s still on their first battery but in my case it’s more the age of the battery (9 years) rather than the miles it’s been put through. Does age play a significant part in battery degradation or is mileage the biggest factor in that?

Still, based on the advice given I feel much better equipped when viewing the car and looking out for potential issues!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. Yes, I do believe I’m over thinking it :).
I’ll just go and test drive it, making sure to check out everything that’s been mentioned!

It really should suit my needs as it’ll be mainly a commuter and a 2nd car, we have a bigger car for the family. So I’m looking and something a little different, fun and reliable while being fairly inexpensive to run and maintain. Also, s much more practical than a motorbike, especially for the UK weather 😀.

Thanks again

I will repeat my initial advice and comment. Of all the members here there have been only 2 who have had an IMA battery failure and subsequent replacement. It truly is not anything to worry about. Forget it is a hybrid at all.

As you stated it is the thing most buyers are concerned about and as it is different from what they are used to that makes sense. Just take our word for it that it is a bullet proof design and all you need to do is drive it once a month to exercise the batteries. The cool thing is if the IMA battery fails the car can still be driven but if the IMA system fails then the under hood battery does not get charged but at least you know with a jump starter you will get it home to have it fixed. It reverts to a very low displacement Internal combustion engine car with no boost or range extension. It is very very rare to have any issues with these cars. All it requires is once a year ( or 10KMile ) maintenance which in my case has been just an oil change and a tire rotation. It is very inexensive to keep it happy and takes regular gas.
Just Buy it and drive it.

The battery is very forgiving and there are things you can do to keep it happy and to restore some capacity. See @PeterPerkins very detailed postings.

The bigger concern if there is one would be do you like the car and will it meet your needs? I spent a lot of time before i bought mine deciding if it was a good replacement for my previous car. In my case I live in the US and we have no back seats. It replaced a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP ( supercharged) coupe. They are two very different vehicles and I have not regretted buying the CR-Z. Don't over think it! Go drive it, test everything in it and forget it is is a hybrid. If you like it and the price, buy it.

·
Super Moderator
7,160 Posts
If you get it , Just make sure it gets driven often enough to keep it happy :cool:

The Speed Bump is an only vehicle but I am single and live alone. At the beginning of the pandemic I bought it a charger maintainer and when not being driven it is in its garage on the charger so i do not have to worry about the under hood battery. It has only failed once and was replaced but it gives me piece of mind. It also has in one of the bins a LI-ION Jump starter. Being an only vehicle and working contract I have to make sure if I ever have to go to the office( currently due to pandemic I am totally remote) the car is able to be started and take me where ever I need to go. As a contractor if not at work I do not get paid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it looks like I’m a new CRZ owner! Went to view the car, had a good look around it and took it for a nice drive. It’s really does drive very well indeed and all buttons/functions are working and I could also tell the difference switching between modes. Battery was at 6 bars and increased to 7 during the drive. Car stayed nice and straight on braking. Few little cosmetic issues to sort out like a clip missing from the ‘side trim’? (inside rear arch), but overall it’s in good condition for a 9 year old car. 36,000 miles is a bonus.

It’s been owned for the past 7 years by the wife of a mechanic and she’s only used it as a daily commuter for short journeys.

I’m going to put new tyres on it but it’s going to be serviced and MOT’d (yearly roadworthy test all cars in UK have) for me before I pick it up.

Very pleased and now have to wait until next Wednesday before I pick it up! Thanks for all your advice. Photos will follow next week!

If you get it , Just make sure it gets driven often enough to keep it happy :cool:

The Speed Bump is an only vehicle but I am single and live alone. At the beginning of the pandemic I bought it a charger maintainer and when not being driven it is in its garage on the charger so i do not have to worry about the under hood battery. It has only failed once and was replaced but it gives me piece of mind. It also has in one of the bins a LI-ION Jump starter. Being an only vehicle and working contract I have to make sure if I ever have to go to the office( currently due to pandemic I am totally remote) the car is able to be started and take me where ever I need to go. As a contractor if not at work I do not get paid.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congratulations with your CR-Z! :)

These clips, if I understand you correctly, are the ones that can be pushed in (and pulled out), right? If so, I ordered a bag of 50 of them on AliExpress for a few dollars. Always nice to have, because these clips are also used under the car, which have to be removed for servicing. Sometimes these break, so I always give a few to my mechanic for if one breaks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you and yeah, those are the clips.
I actually have a bag full of automotive clips that I purchased from Ebay. Just not sure if I’ll have one that fits! Do you have a link for the ones you purchased?

Congratulations with your CR-Z! :)

These clips, if I understand you correctly, are the ones that can be pushed in (and pulled out), right? If so, I ordered a bag of 50 of them on AliExpress for a few dollars. Always nice to have, because these clips are also used under the car, which have to be removed for servicing. Sometimes these break, so I always give a few to my mechanic for if one breaks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thank you and yeah, those are the clips.
I actually have a bag full of automotive clips that I purchased from Ebay. Just not sure if I’ll have one that fits! Do you have a link for the ones you purchased?
Unfortunately not… I tried to order the ones I bought again for a friend, but the seller removed his store from AliExpress.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Congrats. And yes don't worry about the 100V. Some of us have had this car since 2011, original high voltage system still chugging along.

Take a pic of the clip hole location, there's a least a couple dozen different types and since you said rear arch (wheel-well?) those are a bit different from the more common ones.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts