Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am going to be purchasing a CRZ during XMAS time and I have two questions:

1) As a hybrid car, are the maintenance/repair fees higher than typical car?

and

2) How does your insurance cover your CRZ (sport or hybrid?)

Thanks everyone! And you're all soooo lucky to own this beautiful car.:blush:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wouldn't expect any maintenance to be more expensive. The IMA system is really quite simple and I don't think it will require any maintenance...brushless electric motors are ridiculously reliable. the battery will eventually need to be replaced but it has a 8yr/100000mi warranty.

As for insurance, I had a 2006 4cyl Accord Coupe..my insurance went down$ 100 per 6mos

·
Registered
618 Posts
As far as wearable items are concerned, I would expect that the brake pads/rotors would last far longer than usual on a hybrid vs a conventional car.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
1) For most hybrids wear items like brake pads and tires last longer than conventional cars. Changing filters, oil, and fluids is about on par with everything else. Better than a TDI and the $400 DSG fluid changes every 40K miles.

2) Insurance will be $15 more for a 12 month policy compared to my 2006 Civic. If your coming down from a midsizer or other larger vehicle the CR-Z will probably be less to insure. At least for the time being.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Insurance wise I will pay about half what I pay to insure my CL9. Just another reason why I ordered one :D 6 days ETA on my car now and I just can't wait!
Same here on insurance. To insure my Z it's 55% less than my FJ Cruiser.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been a Honda hybrid owner since 2000 (Insight, 2 Civics and now the CRZ). Maintenance wise, if you use the Honda 0W-20 oil, then the cost of an oil change and filter for the CRZ will run you about $15-$20 more per change than a standard engine car. The frequency of oil changes is the same as any other car.

I have not found the frequency of general maintenance to be any more than a standard car, and the costs for my other hybrids have been very comparable to a standard engine Honda. I do not expect this to change with the Z.

I checked with my insurance company, and I'm not paying any more for insurance than I would for any other car in the same class. So no, you won't be penalized for owning the car. You might want to check around. Other companies may be offering lower rates.

You will actually save money in the long run because of the fuel savings, and the higher the cost for a gallon of gas, the more you will save.

Another area of savings is on your taxes. I believe the federal tax breaks have expired, at least for the Hondas. But here in Colorado, there are still tax incentives available. And, some communities are starting to offer free public parking for hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles. Manitou Springs here is Colorado is one such city. Check with your state and local governments to see if there are any perks available if you buy the car.

What might also cost you more are some other consumables, such as tires. The tire size on the Z is a bit unique, and I recently replaced the tires that came with the car with something a bit more usable here in Colorado where the weather can get very unpredictable most of the year. I did eventually find some good quality tires, but to give me more of a choice, I went from the 195's on the car to 205's. Some Z owners have gone even wider. Slightly changing the tire size really opened up my selection and helped me bring down the cost.

Other than that, everyone has been admiring my car and I have been asking them what they thought the cost of the car was for me to buy it. So far, everyone has guessed way too high, consistently in the low 30's range. When I tell them what I paid for it, I get a 'No way!' response.

For everyone who owns a Z, I suggest you play the same game with admirers. Have them guess the price of the car. When you tell them what it actually cost, watch their surprised reaction. It goes a long way to really promoting the car and technology.

sparrow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.