Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Looking to do an Engine rebuild and a few performance upgrades

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TankZF1 
Hey everyone, figured I would ask for some advice on here about rebuilding the motor and how difficult/ time consuming it would be as well as any suggestions for a few performance upgrades. I'm definitely not looking to do an engine swap or anything like that, since she'll still be my daily driver, but I do want to give her some more pep and breath new life into the car since its sitting at over 200,000 miles. I have all the dealership shop manuals, just need to know what I'm getting into since my only experience is 90's Hondas and Fords.
Catcams have some options for cams if you swap to the for ge8 rocker arms.
There are some higher cr pistons available if you search by the L15a7 engine code rather than crz.
Rcz crew have options for intake manifolds that have the stock tb bolt pattern so you could upgrade to an r18 tb.
You could, if you find someone local and cost effectivs, add low friction coating to the pistons skirts and thrust faces of the rods and the cams rocker shaft to reduce mech losses a bit.

I recall reading there was a write about about the dangers of working near the ima motor. The magnets were so powerful that it would pull wrenches out of the mechanics hands and go flying.

It was on the shop that did the full engine build and turbo in the uk... the one shop that went crazy on the build. Do you recall that build the Turbo uk crz or something...
It was so over the top the money that was spent it was sickening.

If you are rebuilding, wouldn’t the engine need to come out? t
Turbo kit makes a massive difference, I would assume the superchargers would be a great upgrade As the install would be a lot easier.
If I was to do it again, the supercharger route would make more sense.
There is a special non magnetic tool to remove the stator i believe. Its neodinium iirc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.