Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

looking to buy?

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Max99 
#1 ·
hi
Looked at a 2011 crz sport today considering buying uk spec 95000 miles full history / 4 owners asking £4500 , drove well all seemed tight and everything seemed to work . like the idea of £30 tax and 56mpg" anything i should look out for ? would be a great help
thanks G

#2 ·
Have a read of this thread, you should find it helpful-
Not sure about that 56mpg, both official ratings and real-world mileage are much less here across the pond.
Good luck in your search, hope to see you end up here as a happy owner.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I know the price of second hand cars is going up but that seems a bit expensive to me.

I bought mine 14 weeks ago for £4500 and it had only done 82,000 miles, also has a full service history, however it had 8 former owners. As it was from a dealer it had a 3 month warranty, a new mot, and I negotiated a set of new tyres (A rated for wet stopping) in the price.

From my recent experience I would recommend checking both doors when collecting it - I didn't and ended up in a horrible loaner Golf for a week while it had the passenger external door handle replaced.

#11 ·
Wow I am shocked - I just looked on Ebay in the US and the cheapest CR-Z is nearly half as much again in price for half as many miles again. I've no idea why ours are so much cheaper - I would suggest importing but we drive on the right over here of course.

As for the cost of car ownership - well this article suggests you pay more in the US than we do in the UK:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...-america-is-more-expensive-than-in-germany-uk

This article is three years old though - we have the highest petrol prices on record right now earlier I spent the equivalent of $2 per litre (roughly $7.5 per US gallon) :sick:

#9 ·
Yeah I just paid $7k for my 2011 with 172k miles and I got a good deal and the seller's phone was getting blown up all day. One sold out from under me for about the same price a week earlier. UK has lower initial prices for used cars I've noticed but don't worry they more than make up for it with taxes and insurance and gas prices.

#13 ·
hi
Looked at a 2011 crz sport today considering buying uk spec 95000 miles full history / 4 owners asking £4500 , drove well all seemed tight and everything seemed to work . like the idea of £30 tax and 56mpg" anything i should look out for ? would be a great help
thanks G
Thanks to all the members who have replied has been very helpful info ,
regards g

#14 ·
hi
thanks G
My car has nearly 60000 miles and rest is same specs with £20 tax. You can have it £4500

#18 ·
I bought my 78k car recently from a dealer. I had been looking for a while and managed to get it as a trade sale with no preparation or suchlike. The gamble worked out and the car is a peach. I opted for the top spec with the Nav unit which is quite rare. I'm pretty pleased on the whole. If the car matches your narrow criteria of a fun hybrid (note - for many it won't) then the car nails the brief.

I am only intending to keep mine until my GR Yaris arrives next year but it's keeping me interested. It's not fast, but is quick enough and good fun to drive. I don't really understand those who try to modify these cars for performance. Seems like a bit of a waste of time to me but each to their own.

Again I can't reach the high fuel numbers quoted. However.. my commute is very short (<4 miles) of rural roads but I don't see LESS than 40mpg. The car is a great commuter and the hybrid assists mostly at low revs which makes the car very usable in town etc.

To look for I'd say in the UK is RUST. My car is in good shape but this is the achilles heel for our climate. Check the rear arches and underneath. Also the control arms are super expensive to replace so be wary of clunks in the suspension. The ball joints can't be replaced, only the entire arm.

#19 ·
I bought my 78k car recently from a dealer. I had been looking for a while and managed to get it as a trade sale with no preparation or suchlike. The gamble worked out and the car is a peach. I opted for the top spec with the Nav unit which is quite rare. I'm pretty pleased on the whole. If the car matches your narrow criteria of a fun hybrid (note - for many it won't) then the car nails the brief.

I am only intending to keep mine until my GR Yaris arrives next year but it's keeping me interested. It's not fast, but is quick enough and good fun to drive. I don't really understand those who try to modify these cars for performance. Seems like a bit of a waste of time to me but each to their own.

Again I can't reach the high fuel numbers quoted. However.. my commute is very short (<4 miles) of rural roads but I don't see LESS than 40mpg. The car is a great commuter and the hybrid assists mostly at low revs which makes the car very usable in town etc.

To look for I'd say in the UK is RUST. My car is in good shape but this is the achilles heel for our climate. Check the rear arches and underneath. Also the control arms are super expensive to replace so be wary of clunks in the suspension. The ball joints can't be replaced, only the entire arm.
Hi
thanks for all that i did find it quite nice to drive and going from eco to sport mode fun to drive . thinking it is a cheap little hybrid to run and insure and like the way they look from most angles . also might look to pass this on to my son after he has been driving for a year plus . do you mind me asking what you paid from the dealer ? cheers G

#20 · (Edited)
Hi - I paid just under 6k. The car would retail for around 7k as its a GT Nav. My nephew is learning to drive and I would recommend as a first car for sure. Low insurance, different, good stereo as stock, cheap tax at £20, reliable. Useful feature is hill hold which works pretty well too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

#22 ·
hi
thanks G
Thanks to everyone who replied and offered up advice to my post " Looking to Buy "
So i have put a deposit down on the 2011 sport in storm silver the current owner having ownership last 5 years spending 1k on suspension and ball joints and steering track 2019 , and serviced with new discs and pads and has always had it serviced by main dealer , also got him down on the price ...
Something i like about these cars hoping i have chosen well . Will be checking the handles any damp under mats and will check everything works prior to driving away ... thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.