Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Taffeta White 09 FG1. Great color and love it, very sharp. But two nights ago a kid in a VW Golf rear ended me during traffic causing me to hit the car that was in front of me. I wanted to get a CR-Z when I seen it in 2009 but decided to get the Civic because I didn't want to wait a year and needed a car to drive. The auto body guy told me because the frame looks bent plus they would have to replace front bumper, grille, rear bumper, trunk, and the entire trunk also damage to the underbody (could see the spare tire underneath.) The auto body guy asked me if I wanted the car to be written off, I told him yeah. Told me he would check more of the damages and talk to the appraiser about it.

If it ends up getting written off, will probably jump into a CR-Z (as originally wanted).
Debating on color right now, Canada only offers three colors PWP SSM and NSBP.
Just general question, how is the Stop-Go system? Where the engine turns off, haven't seen any videos of it in action. Does it get annoying or as soon as you push the gas pedal it just goes without hassle?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Do it, I owned a NHBP FG2 once, great car, but the CR-Z is funner imo. Im a fan of smaller cars. Speed and HP are less of a concern to me these days. I enjoy a fun drive and practicality, as well as functionalism

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, speed is less of a concern for me as well, and I like small cars especially 2 seaters. Seen too many civics being modded and it's a car that's known for it, if your between the ages of 18-26 and male, you probably drive a Civic. I know like 40 people who have either an old school EJ / EK / or new FG. I would rather drive something different that no one has vs having a common car.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
as soon as you clutch in the engine comes back on so you dont have to wait before hitting the gas. i think it works intelligently. I think the CVT works the same - as soon as you let go of the brakes.

good luck choosing a color. I hope it all works out for you. Sorry to hear about the accident, but im glad to hear you walked away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks, debating on SSM and PWP, not too many pictures on the forum of them in the color specific section. Pretty glad too we didn't get hurt either, some people aren't so lucky.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The engine shutoff and restart on the CR-Z (mine is a CVT) has taken some getting used to for me. Initially it gave me the feel of "car drifting backwards on hill," and I am still wary and quicker to move from brake to gas pedal when I'm stopped in a position where I could potentially drift backwards. Still not sure if the so-called "creep aid system" (heck, I'm enough of a creep without aid!) can be a tiny bit glitchy or it's just my imagination! One other oddity is that the idle stop feature - at least in my CR-Z -without a doubt DOES start the engine back up at times while I'm sitting stopped in traffic. This has been debated elsewhere in the forums, where some believe the restart is because the climate control system is on and triggers it or there is a shift in foot pressure on the brake pedal, but I know for a fact it happens even when I have the climate control off entirely and am very steady with brake pressure. It's no real big issue, but can surprise you-- the whole process of stopping in traffic, having the engine shut off, having it restart and do a slight rev, then stop again just a split-second before you take your foot off the brake to accelerate can feel a bit herky-jerky at times. :eek:hmy:

Still, I love my CR-Z and highly recommend it!

·
Registered
666 Posts
One other oddity is that the idle stop feature - at least in my CR-Z -without a doubt DOES start the engine back up at times while I'm sitting stopped in traffic.
I believe the way it is set up is that, any time there is significant load on the engine such as A/C or other accessories, it will fire up. Though this is just what a dealer told me, so who knows.

In the 6MT I test drove it was pretty seamless, although I have the habit of putting my car in 1st early enough so I am ready to take off from a stoplight. It may be difficult to quickly shift into gear and launch simultaneously. Just takes a bit of getting used to.

However, I think anyone who is debating getting a CRZ will have forgotten any doubts they had once they've given it a test drive.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
To me the Auto Stop is seamless. The only thing I didn't like about the engine is when in "ECON" mode starting from a dead stop. It gives like a little hick up before it gets moving, then again I plan only to use "ECON" on the highway.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I believe the way it is set up is that, any time there is significant load on the engine such as A/C or other accessories, it will fire up. Though this is just what a dealer told me, so who knows.
Got used to the Auto Stop Feature in the 07 Civic Hybrid. Took a little while. But it is one of the best eco and gas saving features. Yes, depending on the load mainly environmentals inside and outside the car and how long you are stopped or how much stop and go there is, the autostop turns into autostart.

Someone would probably have to uncompile the software to see all the variables involved with the logic on when to autostop and when to autostart when at a stop.

With the Civic in perpetual ECON mode it became pretty easy to learn what environmentals provided the longest autostop reliability. But, with the 3 choices in the CR-Z, it is a bit more complicated. ECON mode will definitely give you a more frequent and longer autostop as it turns off or tunes down some of the load. Been driving in sport mode most the time now and seems autostop does not work at certain times (yet determined) and when it does work it is very short lived. Maybe a minute or two sometimes less.

As my daily commute is pretty routine and know the intersection light timings, played with going into ECON mode prior to stop (red light) getting a longer autostop and then before the light turns green going back to sport. But that is a pain. Works though. Only did it as an experiment. Normally don't bother.

As an example of how much of a difference autostop can make, fill up your tank and restart the counter. Stop with the engine running and watch your MPG indicator go down a 10th every couple of seconds or on a cold day you have previously and proudly gotten 38MPG+ and you decide to indulge and warm up the car for 5 minutes or so, come back out and now your down to 35MPG or so. Shows the value of the autostop and how much fuel is wasted at idle.

R/Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.