Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new owner of a 014 crz ex and it has 74k on it. I am a self employeed medical courier and in the past I have used several Prius’ for my job. I had very good luck with the Prius they lasted up into the 300k mileage with mostly doing just regular maintenance and tires. I thought I would switch up and try something different, so I picked up the crz.I’ve always have heard that Honda’s last forever. I’m hoping that I can get some input about how this vehicle does with maintenance at higher miles and how long they last, for instance are there any that have gone above the 300k mark and if so what issues were there. Also how does the car do in snow and heavy weather

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It's mostly regular maintenance even as you get higher, like a stinky prius. Theres a bunch of owners that have rediculous mileage and few issues. The regular schedule and parts is roughly:
  • Coolant replacement every ~60,000 miles/5 years.
  • Spark plugs every ~100K miles.
  • Brake pads: inspect inner pad thickness visually or wait for the deafening squeal.
  • Valve clearance inspection/adjustment *if loud/noisy ~100-130K-ish.
  • Engine air filter depends on your local air quality/dust/diesel/smog; every few oil changes.
  • Brake fluid flush (and clutch if 6MT): debate about this but every 2-3 years is on safe side.
  • And obviously maintenance minder transmission fluid (and filter if CVT) and engine oil changes. Engine oil changes are approximately 7-11K average depending on your driving and weather conditions.
There's been some abnormal replacement things across the board but these are not to be expected just unfortunate. Couple dead IMA fans, a few dead catalytics above 150K, a wheel bearing here or there, door handles may be a bit fragile, 12Vs are still a regular replacement as with any other car and get a wheel alignment every so often. And don't let any shop tell you that your normal misting rear shock absorbers are leaking, they're fine. And there's some really helpful people here with their own specialties that can help with just about every aspect.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah at 313K right now, with normal maintenance everything still running fine. I replaced both front lower control arms (ball joints) and tie rod ends last weekend, it wasn't terrible before but feels much better now for ride and steering. IMA battery still strong, never had the fan failure, had to do the A/C shim fix a couple years ago. Its a 2013 6MT that I have owned since new in August of 13.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
720 Posts
Common issues that I can think of are strange electrical issues caused by a weak 12v battery. Replacing the battery fixes them. Also the door handles are prone to breaking, so be mindful of that. Other than that, the CR-Z is a very reliable car, and the hybrid system is much simpler than that of a Prius, only having a synchronous AC motor bolted to the flywheel, no electric A/C compressor, no vacuum pump, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve owned mine for just over a month. It’s a 2013 base CVT with 51,000 miles (82,076 km) at the time of purchase. I’ve owned several Hondas (we own 3 right now) and all but one were bought used. My rule of thumb when buying a used car is, “if it is fluid, replace it.”

Mine had both door actuators fail and the blower motor died, all just hours after leaving the dealership. The dealer replaced them free of charge. That has been the total extent of the problems I’ve had with any used Honda I have ever bought. I drove a Civic for nearly 400,000 miles, an Accord for over 300,000 and anothe Civic for 250,000. The first Civic was bought new. Currently we own a Crosstour, a CRV and my CR-Z. We’ve had the Crosstour and CRV for 5 years and drove them cross country from California to Virginia and we’ve never had a single issue with them.

You’ll love the Z. It’s a great little car!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
720 Posts
I’ve owned mine for just over a month. It’s a 2013 base CVT with 51,000 miles (82,076 km) at the time of purchase. I’ve owned several Hondas (we own 3 right now) and all but one were bought used. My rule of thumb when buying a used car is, “if it is fluid, replace it.”

Mine had both door actuators fail and the blower motor died, all just hours after leaving the dealership. The dealer replaced them free of charge. That has been the total extent of the problems I’ve had with any used Honda I have ever bought. I drove a Civic for nearly 400,000 miles, an Accord for over 300,000 and anothe Civic for 250,000. The first Civic was bought new. Currently we own a Crosstour, a CRV and my CR-Z. We’ve had the Crosstour and CRV for 5 years and drove them cross country from California to Virginia and we’ve never had a single issue with them.

You’ll love the Z. It’s a great little car!
I've driven my 05 Civic for over 80k miles (it had 70k when I got it 5 years ago) and it has worked amazing. Only issues I've had were a bad O2 sensor, both front wheel bearings, and a bad lower control arm, all of which I was able to replace. I also did the timing belt a few months ago. It's needed a bit of work but it's never left me stranded.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah at 313K right now, with normal maintenance everything still running fine. I replaced both front lower control arms (ball joints) and tie rod ends last weekend, it wasn't terrible before but feels much better now for ride and steering. IMA battery still strong, never had the fan failure, had to do the A/C shim fix a couple years ago. Its a 2013 6MT that I have owned since new in August of 13.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to know that regular maintenance, i may get another 200k out my 2013 6 spd CRZ. I Currently has 100k on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts