Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a stuck rear caliper. Pad has completely worn and is grinding on the rotor. I didn't figure this would be a complicated job, but my local repair shop is saying they can't replace the caliper because my car is a hybrid, and the "brake bleed procedure is complicated because of the hybrid drivetrain, and if I do it wrong it could mess up the transmission."

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely respect the shop for saying they're not comfortable working on it. But is that really true about the brake bleed procedure? I can't fathom that the brakes would in any way interconnect with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
@Syndil .. that shop is a bunch of morons.

All you need to do is remove the caliper bracket, clean and sand the slider pin holes and get new slider pins. They just don't want to do this because it takes time and they are lazy. This is a common problem on these cars. Search around on the forums here and you will see it's done several times. By myself included. You don't need a full new caliper.. just need your brackets rebuilt with new slider pins and some elbow grease.

See post #5 from this recent thread to see what I mean:

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
Find another shop. There is nothing special about the brakes on this car because it is a Hybrid. It is simply corrosion as Digiphux states. You can either fix it yourself, Buy a set of used/ re-manufactured calipers or find an actual shop who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
@Syndil - Sent you the FSM my friend. Check it out, and see how easy it is. Find another shop though. If they are not willing to do this, they either don't want to work on your car, or are gonna rip you off. This isn't rocket science, a child could do it!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
When it comes to that shop, Do as smeagol says: go away and never come back!

Since you'll probably have a hell of a time finding a replacement crz caliper:

The crz doesn't have a regenerative braking setup in their brakes though, it reverses polarity in the IMA rotor to act as a generator.

I think only very early prius models had actual regen hubs... And they wentaway from those pretty fast Iirc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They may hold some water to turning you away if you have a 16’.

That would mean you have the electric parking brake. Now, bleeding the brakes is generally the same as the fronts or as vehicles with non-electric parking brakes, but to service the rears, it requires a scan tool to be connected so the internal screw in the caliper can be retracted, thus allowing the piston to be compressed. The scan tool would need to have a pretty recent software update as well to support the function.
I service Hondas at a dealer in Florida, i have done brake services and this is the process required to change pads on the rears. I’ve yet to encounter a problem where I’ve had to change calipers, but I’m fairly certain I would need the scan tool to actuate the caliper during service and to ensure the repair is done properly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Syndil .. that shop is a bunch of morons.

All you need to do is remove the caliper bracket, clean and sand the slider pin holes and get new slider pins. They just don't want to do this because it takes time and they are lazy. This is a common problem on these cars. Search around on the forums here and you will see it's done several times. By myself included. You don't need a full new caliper.. just need your brackets rebuilt with new slider pins and some elbow grease.

See post #5 from this recent thread to see what I mean:

I would 2nd this recommendation if you don’t have a 16’

if the caliper piston itself is not seized, it’s likely sticking slide pins in the brackets. That’s common across many platforms. If you can remove the slide pin without too much trouble, just simple clean/sand and lube. if they are stuck stuck stuck lol, then new brackets and slide pins are likely required.

·
Super Moderator
5,942 Posts
Replacement re-manufactured CR-Z calipers are available for the rear from https://www.rockauto.com/

Part Price Core Total 2013 HONDA CR-Z 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS
Brake & Wheel Hub : Caliper

NUGEON 9900968B {#2200968L} Reman; Includes Mounting Bracket & Installation Hardware Info
Rear Left
$53.79 $45.00 $98.79
NUGEON 9900968A {#2200968R} Reman; Includes Mounting Bracket & Installation Hardware Info
Rear Right
$53.79 $45.00 $98.79
Subtotal $197.58

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies. I used to do my own car repairs but I don't have the free time for that any more. I have replaced the clutch/flywheel in my 1973 Opel GT (rusted to death and junked) and have done a lot of work on my '82 RX7 (still have).

Anyway I took it to the Honda dealership, and they were able to get it fixed in about an hour. Only needed new pads--no caliper or rotor. So I suspect they performed the repair you all were referring to. So yeah, won't be taking it back to that local shop again. I generally prefer to deal with the smaller local shops, but if they don't want the business then I have to take it somewhere.

My CR-Z is a 2012 manual EX w/o nav in Ocean Blue Pearl so it doesn't seem like there would have been anything particularly funny with the brakes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts