Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
601 - 620 of 637 Posts
Discussion starter · #601 ·
I don't know why I didn't put this together sooner but I am fairly certain you are the one I stayed and rode with during the Dragon this year. Thank again for that and I am glad next year I will be able to be there in my own Z :)
Yep, that was me! That's about the best thing about getting together with other CR-Zers at the Dragon--putting together the forum posts with the actual driver in person. Nice to hear you found your own Z and I'll see you again next Summer. :grin2:

Discussion starter · #603 ·
Since I have two CR-Z's now, I'm not sure what to post in my build thread anymore, lol. The "build" started with the CVT, but after getting the 6-Speed, all the mods (except for the Sprintex and Mugen air box) were transferred over to the 6-Speed.

Everything seems to be down to general maintenance on both cars, but there are parts and projects awaiting my ambition to install/fabricate them in the future (on both.) Meanwhile, I was noticing the CVT not doing its "continuously variable" thing during wide open throttle at times lately, so I've finally gotten around to change the fluid again. I figured that fluid level and/or fluid change would solve the problem, but Cameron and E.J. have both had to replace their CVT's recently, so I've been preparing for the worse--that it will just leave me stranded, and I'll have to invest in a new one sometime soon (although they replaced theirs with lower mileage, gently used CVT's.)

The Sprintex/CVT's gotten 40 mpg average on the most recent tank full, but I count that as unusual due to the fact that I've been driving it more frugally than normal lately. At least, until today...after the fluid change, I took it out for a run that dropped the mpg's down to 38 mpg, but at least it's not showing any signs of the CVT acting up and not shifting properly at WOT. Seems the fluid change solved that problem. :smile2:

April 27, 2019 maintenance:
Mileage: 54,225
Oil change (was at 40% remaining on the MID, but oil looked a bit too dark/blackish...)
CVT fluid change (20,000 since last CVT fluid change)
Sprintex belt and oil change

...only a couple of months, or less, before the HPD 6-Speed is due for traction fluid and belt change. :|

Discussion starter · #604 ·
Been reading the tread, your CRZ is beautiful. I was going to ask about the middling, so thanks for the info.
Thanks--I appreciate it! I haven't keeping my build thread very active lately, but let me know what wing you decided upon (if any.) :grin2:

Discussion starter · #605 ·
Seat Belt Mod

I don't know about anyone else, but the anchoring of the seat belt with the 180° twist has annoyed me to no end since I got the CR-Z. Well, someone posted a link to safetyrestore.com a few weeks ago, and they do seat belt repair. Thought I'd try them out, and see if they could rotate my bottom anchor point(s) to make the seat belt sit flush between the door and the seatback when retracted, instead of sitting perpendicularly between them.

They received them on Monday and sent them back via USPS later that day. I opted to get them "upgraded" to orange to match the other accents of the interior--they look good, but just a little bit too-bright orange compared to the seat and door panel inserts, but I think I'll send the other set out to them to do the same thing with the twist, but keep the color black. (So, the 6-Speed has the orange, and the CVT will get that mod done in black.)

Here's a before and after pic:

Attachments

I opted to get them "upgraded" to orange to match the other accents of the interior--they look good, but just a little bit too-bright orange compared to the seat and door panel inserts, but I think I'll send the other set out to them to do the same thing with the twist, but keep the color black. (So, the 6-Speed has the orange, and the CVT will get that mod done in black.)
I too pondered the orange belts for a bit, but decided I'm not that flash yet. they do look sharp though

Discussion starter · #607 ·
I too pondered the orange belts for a bit, but decided I'm not that flash yet. they do look sharp though
Yeah, they're almost embarrassingly too flashy--maybe they get a little dirty/worn and blend in a little bit better in a year or so....

Discussion starter · #610 ·
Where did you get those from? Pretty cool in my opinion!!
I'm starting to like them (the color) a bit better than at first, but the main reason for getting them is the 180° twist I had them put in the belt. I will now send my belts out to them for my other CR-Z--but order the black--since in that orientation, they slide back and rest between the seat and door better than the OEM desinged-in twist.

Check out the other colors they have available too.
For general seat belt repair:
For different belt color/web replacement:
...and/or custom colors:

I suggest you have them to the same 180° twist as I had done too. They have a quick turn-around and great customer service. The 180° twist that I requested them to do was lost in translation, so they sent them back the first time with just twisting the buckle only (and not the anchor too,) but they took care of that immediately, once they realized what I was trying to tell them I wanted. :)

Discussion starter · #611 ·
Oh i hate the 180deg twist with a passion. Did that get fixed? Id love to fix it on mine too
Oh, yeah. That fixed it--was bugging the hell out of me!

Discussion starter · #613 ·
I, Uh, Retract that previous statement.

though if they were closer to the 16' orange...
Yeah, but come to think of it, I should have sent them a swath to see if they could match it better. My priority was to get that twist out of it--mission accomplished.

Discussion starter · #615 ·
One of these days, I'm going to update page #1 of this build thread (to fix the quick links and post some 6-Speed and CVT pics of the otherwise "identical" CR-Z's.) Meanwhile, I've been updating the cars with little mods, and am happy to say I got the replacement seat-belts, sans the 180° twist they came with from the factory. While I was at it, I changed to color too--picked burgundy for the CVT's "red" interior, thinking it would match (and it came pretty close.)

Discussion starter · #617 ·
@litz what did you tell them in order to get the half-twist removed? looking at the red with black edging...
You just place your order as instructed on their website, then put a copy of the bill of sale in the box, and write in bold or magic marker, "Rotate Anchor points 180° as marked." Then put tape around the buckle, marked "Rotate Buckle 180°", along with another note on the bottom anchor (the one that mounts to the bottom sill or the passenger's side bottom-seat) "Rotate Anchor 180°"

The first time I sent them out, I just put a note on the bill of sale to rotate anchor 180°, but they just rotated the buckle, so mark them clearly (they fixed/reworked my order right away, so Customer service was great.)

Also, send them out USPS using a MEDIUM FLAT RATE BOX, and that will keep shipping less than $15, otherwise the extra weight with the same size box will add $3 or so....

I don't know why Honda designed it that way, but it could be that, if there is noone in the passenger seat, the belt will flutter if you have the window rolled all the way down AND there's a strong cross wind blowing at the passenger side. I didn't notice it at all in the 6-Speed because I also have the Groovy Shades on the side windows, so they must divert the air better when the window is all the way down, but the CVT (with no Groovy Shades) is good at highway speed with the windows down, unless there's an additional cross wind--then I just rolled it up 6 inches, if it starts flapping in the breeze. Best thing, though, is that if the buckle gets released quickly, the metal part will not hit/knock against the door panel, and you won't find it lodging itself between the seat-back and the B-pillar anymore. :)

Discussion starter · #619 ·
My rear H-emblem; started its life chrome, then went to chrome circle around a red "H", then plasti-dipped white. Took it off to replace the 3M tape (too thick, didn't fit flush.) But plasti-dip started to peel, so I'll be painting it PWP.
I found some of the thinner 3M tape online, but I don't see the actual part# of the used roll I have in the garage, but I remember I ordered a couple different thicknesses before finding the right one--good luck on that. :)
It's takes a good bit of prep work to get the PWP to adhere to the emblem, but I think mine only lasted a year or so before the clear coat on it started to crack, so I'm back to all chrome H's until I get around to sanding and repaint. Hope it turns out well for you!

601 - 620 of 637 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.