Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the new Honda Civic Hybrid has the Lithium-Ion battery pack.
Can we hope the new CRZ will too !
Enjoy

·
CORRUPT
2,351 Posts
Li-ion will cost more for sure. The only advantage is weight savings really. I think Li-ion batteries take up the same volume for similar energy capacity, but at like half the weight. The CR-Z has the battery in a pretty good location, where I think on the Civic it's up higher in the car behind the rear seat, so I don't think it's as critical for the Z to save weight in the pack, especially for the cost.

·
Registered
200 Posts
ive read the l-ion batteries don't last very long. i'd rather have the NiMH which will last 8 years or so

Li-ion will cost more for sure. The only advantage is weight savings really. I think Li-ion batteries take up the same volume for similar energy capacity, but at like half the weight. The CR-Z has the battery in a pretty good location, where I think on the Civic it's up higher in the car behind the rear seat, so I don't think it's as critical for the Z to save weight in the pack, especially for the cost.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Edit..
I totally missed the point of this thread... For modding, the batteries wouldn't be a direct replacemtn... different controller would be needed.

I'd expect the new model CRZ (whenever they do a big change) to have lithium batteries. There's more energy density. Any weight savings is a plus.
And, from my personal experience w/ RC stuff, lithium has lasted longer than NIMH. I don't have any cell memory or slow/constant decrease in capacity w/ lipo's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The volume and weight are significantly less. Discharge and charge ratings are usually higher with any chemistry of lithium too. There's a lot of threads on insightcentral of people putting together a 50 cell 20ah a123 packs in the same case as the stock 144v 6.5ah pack. Hopefully Honda will update the IMA with lithium.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wonder how much better the performance of the CR-Z would be if you could lose all the weight related to the IMA system?

·
Banned
650 Posts
^
if you got rid of the entire IMA system, electric motor, etc, then running on gas only, it would get 55mpg like any old CRX HF did, you know, they weighed like 1850.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
^
if you got rid of the entire IMA system, electric motor, etc, then running on gas only, it would get 55mpg like any old CRX HF did, you know, they weighed like 1850.
Still would have all the current safety requirements which keeps cars quite a bit above the 1850 mark..

I would be more interested in ION packs that let the IMA give us more assist HP while still retaining a usable charge..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Lithium-ion does have better energy density, but having used Lithium-ion batteries in a solar car, I would not recommend its use to propel a vehicle because it cannot discharge at a high rate. That is essential if you wanted longer-lasting, full-tilt IMA assist.

NiMH is a good chemistry that tolerates high-rate discharges and is affordable. Personally, I would use Lithium-Iron Phosphate. It is between NiMH and Lithium-ion in energy density and can deliver the high-energy pulses needed to run the IMA motor at full tilt.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wonder how much better the performance of the CR-Z would be if you could lose all the weight related to the IMA system?
The battery only weight about 90lbs. The IMA motor I don't know. Losing the IMA system, you have to put in an alternator which add load to the engine.

I actually wonder how much worse the performance of the CR-Z if you lose the IMA system? Definitely slower than a Fit due to gear ratios.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lithium batteries have burned-up in Sony laptops and the Fiskar and the Volt cars, they're too sensitive to manufacture quality at present, for use in heavy cyclic current draw and harsh environment operation applications.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Li-ion 15kW (2013) vs. Ni-MH 0.5kW (2012)?

question.
crz 2012 has Ni-MH battery 5.75Ah x 100.8Volts=580Wh=~0.5kW
crz 2013 has Li-Ion battery 15kW
where is mistake in calculations, if any?
if not - then new battery 30 (!) times better??
If so, I feel ripped off with my 2012 (that cost about same money as 2013) :(

·
CORRUPT
2,351 Posts
question.
crz 2012 has Ni-MH battery 5.75Ah x 100.8Volts=580Wh=~0.5kW
crz 2013 has Li-Ion battery 15kW
where is mistake in calculations, if any?
if not - then new battery 30 (!) times better??
If so, I feel ripped off with my 2012 (that cost about same money as 2013) :(
Ah are Amp-hours, which describes the capacity of the battery, not the current. The calculation that you did finds the energy capacity of the battery in kilowatt-hours, not power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts