Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
looking forward to the turbo stuff. please keep updating this thread with options.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm thinking of a rear mounted t25 where the muffler sits. no intercooler, just need to run a charge pipe back up to the intake (the air will be cool by then)+oil feed/return lines :pP:

I wonder how rich these cars run from the factory. I'm thinking 5 psi on the stock tune and you have ~170-180hp from a $1k or less kit thats easy as pie to build :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I'm thinking of a rear mounted t25 where the muffler sits. no intercooler, just need to run a charge pipe back up to the intake (the air will be cool by then)+oil feed/return lines :pP:

I wonder how rich these cars run from the factory. I'm thinking 5 psi on the stock tune and you have ~170-180hp from a $1k or less kit thats easy as pie to build :thumbsup:
funny you say that i just grabbed a t25 from one of my sr20 friends :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

Remote mounting for a turbo charger is better for large displacement engines. If you do choose to go for a remote mount, prepare for never ending turbo lag. I'm 100% serious.

And your assumption that the air will cool is wrong. Air heats up when it is compressed.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts

You have got to be kidding! Lag city! but hey, it's your car....

·
Registered
39 Posts
you guys are obviously talking from inexperience. I have rear turbo'd a 1.3 liter ford festiva with great results, I had full boost (7psi) at 2200 rpms. The idea of a small turbo is no lag, and the long length of pipe running back up to the intake acts as an intercooler, there is plenty of cool air running under your car. As long as your piping is air tight and not overly huge, lag is not much different than having the turbo right off the head.

And koop, those sr t25's are great. I used one one my festiva, and also on 2 sr20 sentra's I turbo'd.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
you guys are obviously talking from inexperience. I have rear turbo'd a 1.3 liter ford festiva with great results, I had full boost (7psi) at 2200 rpms. The idea of a small turbo is no lag, and the long length of pipe running back up to the intake acts as an intercooler, there is plenty of cool air running under your car. As long as your piping is air tight and not overly huge, lag is not much different than having the turbo right off the head.

And koop, those sr t25's are great. I used one one my festiva, and also on 2 sr20 sentra's I turbo'd.
Oh, I have plenty of experience. I've never rear turbo'd any 4 banger but I have with big V8's. I just don't see how you don't have huge lag. And no, your charge pipe doesn't act like an intercooler. Sorry, but you're just wrong on that.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts

Whatever......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh, I have plenty of experience. I've never rear turbo'd any 4 banger but I have with big V8's. I just don't see how you don't have huge lag. And no, your charge pipe doesn't act like an intercooler. Sorry, but you're just wrong on that.

I'm glad you have so much experience. Its easy to find an arguement on any subject lol. I would gladly rear turbo another 4 cylinder, because I have seen the great results.

what do you propose the air does in the charge pipe on its way from the rear of the car all the way up to the intake manifold with cool air running all around it? its not going to be as cool as it may be with an intercooler, but it will cool down. You know many of the early turbo 4 cyl cars were not intercooled.

And CRaZee, thanks for your input, I would like to hear what your ideal setup would be (you know, from someone with alot of turbo experience).

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'm glad you have so much experience. Its easy to find an arguement on any subject lol. I would gladly rear turbo another 4 cylinder, because I have seen the great results.

what do you propose the air does in the charge pipe on its way from the rear of the car all the way up to the intake manifold with cool air running all around it? its not going to be as cool as it may be with an intercooler, but it will cool down. You know many of the early turbo 4 cyl cars were not intercooled.

And CRaZee, thanks for your input, I would like to hear what your ideal setup would be (you know, from someone with alot of turbo experience).
I will just sit back and see how it goes.. not going to get into it... not worth it. If it works for you.. then go for it. I would say if you like the rear mount.. you would probably love the front mount... you would probably see a difference, enough to make it worth it.

have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
to MY understanding... rear mounts need a lot more boost to create the same amount of power that a regular mounted turbo needs... the reason for this is there is wayyyyy more piping for the air to be pushed through... it might be the same amount of air being pushed as just having front mount but definitely not even close to the amount of cooling... ic's have fins on them and are made of aluminum for a reason... straight pipe could have nitrous shooting directly on the pip and it won't cool as well a regular ic...

i thought the most efficient way to power the engine was to have the shortest distance between where the air starts to get sucked in, to the compression chamber of the engine... this is why ITB's make, not just a beautiful sound, but more immediate power...

personally the only reason to go rear mount is if you're doing like rupp said and that is for ease of mounting and simplifying the need to really tune it... and also if you want to be sneaky :D

rear mount would be awesome for someone with a center exit exhaust like on the Noblesse rear diffuser b/c you can mount the turbo etc all in that area where the axle-back goes...

not sure why the lag thing even came up considering the IMA helps with down low... lets be real, if i had a CR-Z and i was to turbo it, i WILL have it rev to above 8k and if the turbo starts to really spool up around 4-4.5k then that's perfect IMO...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
to MY understanding... rear mounts need a lot more boost to create the same amount of power that a regular mounted turbo needs... the reason for this is there is wayyyyy more piping for the air to be pushed through... it might be the same amount of air being pushed as just having front mount but definitely not even close to the amount of cooling... ic's have fins on them and are made of aluminum for a reason... straight pipe could have nitrous shooting directly on the pip and it won't cool as well a regular ic...

i thought the most efficient way to power the engine was to have the shortest distance between where the air starts to get sucked in, to the compression chamber of the engine... this is why ITB's make, not just a beautiful sound, but more immediate power...

personally the only reason to go rear mount is if you're doing like rupp said and that is for ease of mounting and simplifying the need to really tune it... and also if you want to be sneaky :D

rear mount would be awesome for someone with a center exit exhaust like on the Noblesse rear diffuser b/c you can mount the turbo etc all in that area where the axle-back goes...

not sure why the lag thing even came up considering the IMA helps with down low... lets be real, if i had a CR-Z and i was to turbo it, i WILL have it rev to above 8k and if the turbo starts to really spool up around 4-4.5k then that's perfect IMO...
Exactly! (except for the last part.. IMA is nice.. but the more down low, the better! Even if turbos aren't the best down low... not really fond of SC)!

I was too lazy to type (and argue).. and it sounds like you are more turbo knowledgeable than me, anyway!

We luvs ya, Bizzy! :hail: :kiss:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
thanks, but other than fiddling with friends cars, i have no personal ownership experience... so i guess that doesn't qualify my opinion to be considered :rolleyes:

and personally, the CR-Z has enough down low tq with the IMA... i like high rpm power for when i choose to drive spirited (all the time lol)... better for mpgs in cruising mode "aka" low-rpm driving... keep in mind, you also don't want a ton of down low tq on FWD car... especially one that isn't equipped with LSD (not the hallucinogen some here might have experimented with :eek:hsnap: )... heck the LX Civic i'm driving now spins the tires if i accelerate briskly while at a slight turn...

btw, nice signature :hi5:

·
Registered
39 Posts
thanks Bizzy

thats really what I was going for, easy and cheap boost. I'm a backyard mechanic, so I might have different veiws than someone who owns/works at a professional shop. Rear mount may not be the safest/best bet for some, but its always fun to do something different and out of the ordinary. I'd like to see more 4 cylinder's around with rear mounts.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #95

Bizzy, you nailed it honestly. But personally, this car is already easy to turbo, only obstacle is the tuning, so thats only the upside of the rear mounted setup. but even with a rear mounted setup you wont know how the car will react to it, you might find yourself having to tune it. every car is different, each ecu responds differently, i wouldn't slap a turbo on ANY car without a solid tune and plenty of fuel. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
true about the ECU... and now that i think of it... rear mount might be a lot harder than i originally thought b/c of the MAF sensor... that gave the 8th Si's HELL to tune right... the MAF had to be perfectly placed from the throttle body... too far/close and your readings get all screwed up... if i'm not mistaken, it should be closer to the filter side of the intake... this would make a rear mount turbo much harder b/c you would have to extend the MAF wiring... unless i'm wrong about that placement and you can ignore this last part :iorun:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't think the maf would be a prob doesnt the maf tell how much airs coming in? Like does it make a difference between short ram and cai? Cai tubing is longer no?

Iam curiouse about that as well

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The air in the charge pipe WILL NOT cool. It's simple physics. Compress air and it heats. There's no way a pipe with no heat exchanger will act like an intercooler.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Enjoy your lag.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
I don't think the maf would be a prob doesnt the maf tell how much airs coming in? Like does it make a difference between short ram and cai? Cai tubing is longer no?

Iam curiouse about that as well
i've sorta been outta the scene for a while but i do remember that the MAF caused a lot of HELL to make a proper intake...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
search any DSM forum about mafs. they are horrible to tune. most bought map sensors and switched to them, but they also were using a standalone to tune. it could be the placement but DSMs had them on the intake off the compressor housing making venting of the blow off valve actually cause more harm then good. man I miss my talon

81 - 100 of 123 Posts