Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im planning on going turbo sometime this year when the market offers the support for such a thing for us consumers. I have debated many times with friends about what turbo, what power to make and so on. Well i finally decided that if im going to go threw the trouble, well might aswell make it worth while, so 300hp is the goal. With that said i have a few turbo possible turbo choices in mind.

1. Borge Warner EFR turbo, 6255 good for 375hp
(BorgWarner EFR Turbos | Full-Race.com)
2. Garrett gt2560r (TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog)
3. Garrett gt2860r (TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog)

im looking for a quick spool and power thru out the entire power band, i wont be looking to raise the rev limiter much more than 500rpm's more.

what do you guys think? whats your opinions? what turbos would you go with or plan on going with for those planning on going turbo? :staffmeeting:

FYI once im turbo i'll be changing my name here to boostedhybrid so i call dibs on that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Personally, I would work on engine components before sticking in a turbo first. But good luck on your project :) Won't be cheap!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I would work on engine components before sticking in a turbo first. But good luck on your project :) Won't be cheap!
dont worry lol i know i wont make 300 without blowing up way before that lol. as of now the actual plan is to pull the motor and due bisimoto rods and pistons before moving forward with turbocharging it. and it wont be very expensive, i can get most everything for the kit at cost, this isn't my first turbo build by far :). However this isn't about cost or what not, this is just a simple discussion about turbo's.

·
Registered
59 Posts
warner for sure, garrets are good but the bogs are deff coming up in the market lately, fast spools, longevity, cost, and very reliable. and as for you hybrid, i am very interested to see this build and perhaps work with you if you are close, i love doing these things and with the insight and help you have provided me with regarding the intake fiasco, you were very knowledgeable and helped me out when i was ready to call it quits. thanks again for that and if i cannot help out, deff keep me in the loop. i am very anxious with this. But back to the topic, Borg is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@btg, I agree with you I like the efr turbo Alot. And also your welcome, I've done Alot of builds with little support and learned slot of things the hard way but I also have Alot of very knowable ppl around me who are super excited to dig into projects that nobody will touch. Idk how involved you could get since I live in Connecticut lol. But this project is something that's on the drawing board. I refuse to pay 4000-6000 for a turbo kit that's soooooooooo easy! The only obstacle in the fabrication of the kit is the adaptor flange, once thats done the rest is a breeze. I'm good friends with possibly the eat fabricator in the east coast and I already ordered up the gasket to start playing around with possibilities. I'm in no big rush, bc nothing with start to take place till someone releases a tuning device. I could be a gangsta and do some sort of standalone or aem fic but that's a headache I rather not mess with lol, I'll just wait for hks fcon, greddy emanage or hondata. I don't want the car down for long so everything has to be in order, I'll be slowly purchasing components for the build like intercooler, bov, flanges, turbo, piping couplers and so on once everything is in place this will be a week project, in and out. 2 days for fabrication, couple days to send piping to get powder coated and then back on and to the dyno. Trying to do it right and not rush, I've learned that from previous projects that's ended up being nightmares and frustrations but eventually done, I just want this to be straight forward. As of now the only concern is making the car look dope aesthetically, looking into rods and pistons and get those on and popping and anticipation for the turbo build. But like I said there no deadline, just everything one step at a time. Rods and pistons will also be a few days work, pull the motor in one day, off to the machine shop for a day or two and back in the following day.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have no experience with those turbo chargers. I do have a lot of experience with Turbochargers.com. They're here in Houston and when I owned RSI motorsports we used them exclusively.
Personally, I think a CT3 T3/T4 .48A/R (might call on that, I'm not 100% on the A/R) with a 44mm compressor wheel would be awesome for this car. You also need to call to see which turbine housing is appropriate- but I think the non port 4 bolt is fine.

With the 44mm wheel it's good for 350bhp
http://turbochargers.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/21_244/products_id/2261

Are you going integrated or external waste gate? I'd keep it simple and go integrated, unless you think you'll want more than 300hp after a while.

Please keep us up to date on this.

EDIT: You know, a (IHI) VF39 from a Subaru STi wouldn't be a bad call, either. They're good for ~400BHP

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no experience with those turbo chargers. I do have a lot of experience with Turbochargers.com. They're here in Houston and when I owned RSI motorsports we used them exclusively.
Personally, I think a CT3 T3/T4 .48A/R (might call on that, I'm not 100% on the A/R) with a 44mm compressor wheel would be awesome for this car. You also need to call to see which turbine housing is appropriate- but I think the non port 4 bolt is fine.

With the 44mm wheel it's good for 350bhp
CT3 T3/T4 SB/BB 250-475hp - Turbochargers.com

Are you going integrated or external waste gate? I'd keep it simple and go integrated, unless you think you'll want more than 300hp after a while.

Please keep us up to date on this.

EDIT: You know, a (IHI) VF39 from a Subaru STi wouldn't be a bad call, either. They're good for ~400BHP
thanks shatner, i do plan on keeping it internally gated, keep is simple and clean. ill look into that turbo. and 300hp is where i would draw the line, i believe after that this motor will become insufficient and alot more work will be needed and thats not what i want, this is my DD. and ill def keep you updated, as of now my first step will be rods and pistons before anything, one small step at a time.

FYI i sent you a friend request on FB and i have yet to get accepted wtf? lol

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
thanks shatner, i do plan on keeping it internally gated, keep is simple and clean. ill look into that turbo. and 300hp is where i would draw the line, i believe after that this motor will become insufficient and alot more work will be needed and thats not what i want, this is my DD. and ill def keep you updated, as of now my first step will be rods and pistons before anything, one small step at a time.

FYI i sent you a friend request on FB and i have yet to get accepted wtf? lol
Sounds good. I know that turbo is a good turbo; I've installed one along with supporting mods on a Bored and stroked B16b and the owner was very happy.

Send another friend request with your S/N in the message. I'm hesitant to accept friends unless I know them/know of them and recognize the name.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Regarding the original question as to "which turbo", these are just my opinions...

I have always been a GT25 guy for smaller engines, 1.5-1.6l. On the 1.6 it provided the perfect torque curve and it started way down low, then carried strong through the mids and up. Although I was only doing about 225hp with a reliable street tune on a stock engine, but the car was loads of fun to drive.

For the CRZ, I would go the GT28RS because you are going for 300hp, I think this turbo would be more than capable of that where the T25 might fall short. Also we have the great low end torque provided by IMA, so you really don't need that low of a torque curve provided by the turbo. It needs more help through the mid and upper rpm range, which on the 1.5 I think this turbo would do just that.

A smaller turbo combined with the IMA might create too much low end torque where traction off the line would be an issue. I had problems with that on my 1.6 with the T25, I was almost faster launching in 2nd.

Just curious, although I do not plan on boosting my Z, what kind of plans do you have for the fuel system? At 300hp, I imagine you will be replacing the injectors, upgrading fuel pump and possibly even the fuel rail. I haven't seen if there are these parts available yet, although they should be interchangeable with the Fit parts, which would be nice.

I'm interested to learn more about your plans!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding the original question as to "which turbo", these are just my opinions...

I have always been a GT25 guy for smaller engines, 1.5-1.6l. On the 1.6 it provided the perfect torque curve and it started way down low, then carried strong through the mids and up. Although I was only doing about 225hp with a reliable street tune on a stock engine, but the car was loads of fun to drive.

For the CRZ, I would go the GT28RS because you are going for 300hp, I think this turbo would be more than capable of that where the T25 might fall short. Also we have the great low end torque provided by IMA, so you really don't need that low of a torque curve provided by the turbo. It needs more help through the mid and upper rpm range, which on the 1.5 I think this turbo would do just that.

A smaller turbo combined with the IMA might create too much low end torque where traction off the line would be an issue. I had problems with that on my 1.6 with the T25, I was almost faster launching in 2nd.

Just curious, although I do not plan on boosting my Z, what kind of plans do you have for the fuel system? At 300hp, I imagine you will be replacing the injectors, upgrading fuel pump and possibly even the fuel rail. I haven't seen if there are these parts available yet, although they should be interchangeable with the Fit parts, which would be nice.

I'm interested to learn more about your plans!

:popcorn:
well, for now my only worry is to get the rods and pistons done sometimes this upcoming spring or summer. ill be taking it slow and allowing manufacturers the chance to come out with fuel and tuning solutions. im sure HKS will have those available soon since they are soon to release the SC kit or have already over seas that is. for now i just wanted to post this and get feedback from you guys on what turbo. ill be purchasing IC and stuff of that nature and turbo, as time goes and once everything set to go then i'll get it going. But im sure with enough HW we will come to find out that the fit components will most likely work for us. but like i said one obstacle at a time, i want this to go smoothly and efforless, dont want to get in over my head. currently im just ordering stuff to make the car look good :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
i'm with you hybridkoop. i too plan on going turbo, just waiting on the aftermarket tuners to get the stuff together. i have talked to LHT in Tampa, FL and John said a customer is supposed to ship him a CRZ motor to build for turbo. i'm going to wait and see if that happens.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Bump on this I want ppls opinions and thoughts
O.K., you asked for it. If you want a fast car, start with a better platform.

Having said that, if you are going for more HP, then I agree that a turbo or a supercharger are the way to go. Don't dink around with intakes or exhausts or computers (I know, I know, every little bit helps. Blah, blah, blah, whatever. Spending $6,000 to make 45 WHP is a waste IMO), do it right. Boost it and boost it correctly.

Seriously, good luck with the build and please keep us informed. If I were ever to try to make more WHP in this car, boosting would be the only way I would plan to do it. I wasted a lot of money on my S until I did it correctly and SCed it.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts