Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Finally was able to install my new lights the other night, in the rear I replaced all the standard bulbs with LED bulbs. Installed 6000k white 5 SMD T-10 (168) License plate bulbs, 6000k White 18 SMD T-10 (219) reverse bulbs, Red 5 SMD T-10(168) side marker bulbs and yellow 18 SMD T-20 (7440) Turn Signal Bulbs.

Rear Lights Comparison, what I took out and what went in. Had previously installed the License Plate Light so not in the picture but looks the same as the smaller red one.

Drivers Side LED's Installed, Passenger side stock so you can see the color difference, License pate lights installed also.

Parking lights on, Reverse lights on, turn signals flashing.

Next I replaced the front Park-light/Turn-signal with Dual Color Switchback 48 SMD (7441) Turn Signal Bulbs. These Great little bulbs lite up 6000k White when you turn on your parking light or head lights and when you hit your turn signal the white shuts off and it blinks yellow. Special note, when switching turn signals to LED lights you must add a load resistor or your turn signals will hyper-flash. You must add a 6 ohm load resistor for each light (1 front and 1rear) or 1 single 3 ohm load resistor in the front. I happened to already have four 6ohm load resistors from my old car so I paralleled the wires and mounted both up front.

Bulb comparison.

Removed front end to install Load resistors, Right switchback installed left is stock, parking lights on.

I mounted the load resistors to a metal bracket, then mounted them the metal bumper. Load resistors produce a lot of heat so I choose this location for 3 reasons. 1- so you can't see them when you open the hood. 2- Lots of space here, make sure the can't melt anything. 3- airflow through the grill to help keep them cool.

Close up Parking light on.

Turn signal flashing.

Next I swapped the stock Fog lights out for 6000k White 68 SMD (H11) These are bright but really are only for looks, not function.

Bulb Comparison.

Left side stock, right side 6000k bulb.

Finished, 6000k park lights and fogs and factory HID's on.

Did some testing on the DRL/Highbeam bulb while doing this project, found that a special DRL decoder and load resistors in order to replace them with LED lights. I have ordered the LED DRL's and decoder also ordered 6000k HID (DS4) bulbs so everything will match. I will update this Post when I get them in.

Happy Modding!

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
wow, great work... maybe you can since you have enough pictures is briefly describe how you did this and i'll add DIY to the title and move the thread over there...

i too would like to see a video of them working... specifically the front with the lights on and then with the turn signals flashing... then the back w/reverse on and also the turn/hazards...

thanks for sharing :leghump:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
can we get a video of the front lights with lights on different settings. i think i may do this once i get a CR-Z
I will make a video of my CR-Z lights when I get a chance but for now here is a video of switchbacks on another car.

do you have the bulb specs & where we can get them?
I purchased some of my bulbs from a local vendor, but found this place online and they have everything for automotive LED, HID lighting Super Bright LED Car Lights, Automotive LED Bulbs, LED Strip Lights, HID Light Bulbs, HID Conversion Kits and more
I bought my fog lights from here and just ordered LED DRL's with the Honda decoder and also ordered 6000k HID replacement lamps so it will all match.

Bulb Size Chart.

Headlights (low beam):
HID- D4S D4S HID Bulbs - D4R HID Bulbs | Lexus Xenon Headlights | HID Light Bulbs *have not tested these yet!
Non EX- H11 96 SMD HID Xenon White H11 H8 H9 LED Driving Lamps Fog Lights Bulbs
Headlights (High beam/ DRL):
HB3 9005 LED Bulbs plus DRL Decoder For Acura Honda Daytime Running Light *have not tested these yet!
Fog Lights:
H11 96 SMD HID Xenon White H11 H8 H9 LED Driving Lamps Fog Lights Bulbs
Front Turn/Park lights:
7443 Dual Color Switch-Back 7443 7444 T20 LED Bulbs For Turn Signal Lights
Side Mirror Turn Signal:
LED
Brake/ Tail Light:
LED
Rear Turn Signal:
3156 18 SMD 3156 3157 LED Bulbs for Corner Light, Backup Light, Tail Light
Rear Side Marker Lights:
194 13-SMD 1210 T10 Car Automobile LED Light Bulbs 168 194 921 2825 I used a 5 SMD light on mine but this site does not have then in red from what I see, but these should work fine and will be brighter. These are behind a red lens so you should use a red LED.
Back Up Lights:
912 360¡ã 38 SMD T10 168 921 912 Bulbs for Parking, Side Door, Back up Lights
License Plate Lights:
194 5-SMD T10 Light Bulbs for Interior Map Dome Parking License Lights

Interior lights:

Dome Lights:
DE31 http://store.ijdmtoy.com/DE3175-DE3022-3175-31mm-1-25-LED-Festoom-Dome-Light-Bulbs-s/38.htm

Door, Rear and Trunk Lights:
194 5-SMD T10 Light Bulbs for Interior Map Dome Parking License Lights

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, great work... maybe you can since you have enough pictures is briefly describe how you did this and i'll add DIY to the title and move the thread over there...

i too would like to see a video of them working... specifically the front with the lights on and then with the turn signals flashing... then the back w/reverse on and also the turn/hazards...

thanks for sharing :leghump:
Thanks for the luv :hi5: as soon as I get the other bulbs in I will take more in depth pics and I will do a few DYI posts on each of the different parts of installing these lights.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
120 Posts
That looks really nice. I went a slightly different route and replaced the fogs with a Piaa Ion Plasma YELLOW bulb. Just a different look I guess. When I get a chance I will have to post Pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
LOVE the look of these LEDs... I'm going to wait and read your DIY post because of the resistor reference - don't want to get that wrong <sigh!>

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry all been busy on a shop project this week so haven't had chance to check in here... Anyhow I did recently finish the lighting portion of my CR-Z with addition of LED DRL/highbeam lights and also replaced the factory HID bulbs with 6000 K bulbs. The finished look is fantastic! On the first page of this topic I posted a complete list of all bulbs, interior and exterior with links to the products i used in my ride. I would say I am into the LED change over a little over $300 USD for all bulbs, decoders and load resistors. I bought everything from my local distributor or Super Bright LED Car Lights, Automotive LED Bulbs, LED Strip Lights, HID Light Bulbs, HID Conversion Kits and more which has everything you will need for lighting in your CR-Z.

Here is a couple pics of the new Day Time Running Lights.

Here is the DRL and Switchback parking light on.

And here is the New 6000K HID bulbs with SBack Parking and Fog lights on.

Now all lights match at 6000k, nice cool white. I had had to change some settings on the camera in order to get the picture without glare and it made the lights look a little bluer that they actually look. So I took some pics of how the light reflects against a wall so you can see the difference between factory and the upgrades I made.

4300K Factory HID bulb.

6000K HID replacement bulbs.

Like I have Promised I will add a DYI on replacing all lights with LED lights. As soon as I have the time I will get it done for everyone. :hi5:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.