Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my try at a DIY article. Sorry, most of the pictures are from my phone and not that many of them...
So the first thing I did was bought an LED strip that had 15 LED's off ebay.

Next step is to measure the distance between the LED's, preferably with a micrometer. I chose to take the risk and drill 3/16" holes in the bottom of the headlight and what I found out is after drilling the hole, the bottom of the headlight is transparent and the light goes right through! These LED's are quite subtle. Not in your face. I pulled the plastic drill chunks out with a hose, vacuum cleaner and going through the driving light hole.

This next image is with all the holes drilled and my flash light trying to show the transparancy.

After drilling the holes, I used this little 90 degree hook tool to clean out the inside of the hole for a finished look.

Didn't get any pictures of how I secured the LED's to the bottom of the headlight, but I actually ended up using a hot glue gun you can pick up at any crafts store. I found this to be the most rigid, fastest drying and longest lasting. Take your time glueing! You don't want any holes and water to get into the headlight...

After putting the lights back in, I wired them up to the driving lights buy stripping the insulation back, soldering the LED wiring then using a "brush-on electrical tape" I've used this stuff for years and never had any issues. Keep in mind most LED's are directional. Meaning if you connect the wires backwards they simply won't work. So bench test them before wiring them up. I also used a 2 pin quick connect so I can still remove the headlights if needed.

The final product..

They look blue probably from the blue driving lights, those are now white. See my other DIY on my grill mod. Sorry for the vague descriptions, I tend to just do it and not think of how I'm going to later explain things. LOL. This isn't for the faint at heart. You may need to have some common sense, and definetly measure twice drill once!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
not a fan..

I do have a qustion however is there any more pics of the inside headlight housing. I want to take apart mine and black them out. Possibly paint a shroud white or something. IF you do have them let me know that would be very beneficial

·
Registered
262 Posts
Electricswancrz, what does the headlight look like in "daylight"? They look great lit up at night, but how visible is the LED strip in the housing during the day?

Any chance you can turn this into a little business? Maybe do the mod under a headlight exchange program where the customer purchases a pair of LED-headlamps at a price that includes a deposit on the headlamps that is then partially refunded upon your receipt of the removed headlamps from the customer? I don't usually shy away from trying something, but am not sure I want to attempt this modification!

Happy holidays,
Gitano

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOL!! TinTin, your response made me look into this a little bit. I now see the headlights are probably not that expensive to replace, so screwing up an attempted mod is not a big deal (and the exchange idea is a bit over the top!). :blush:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried this DIY, but instead of drilling holes in the light assemblies I took the lights apart and installed the LED light strips inside using glue. This was not an easy DIY at all and I wish I could have figured out how electricswancrz was able to glue the light strips inside without opening them up.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

My iPhone does not take very good pictures but the lights actually came out looking nice. Does anyone know if/how you can change the turn signals on the mirrors? While I had my lights apart I went on and changed my turn signals to white and want to do the same to the yellow turn signals on the mirrors.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very nice DIY! I'll admit, you're very daring to drill into the headlight like that. Props to you. :thumbsup:

We actually do provide LED strips if you guys are interested, they are typically mounted between the head light and bumper with 3M double sided tape (included).

Audi Style 20" LED Strips
$16.99

Audi Style 20" Switchback LED Strips
$24.99

These switchback LEDs can be tapped to your turn signals so they blink in sync with your turn signals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.