Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally an official site has protective films. Ive been in touch with laminx about it for a few months. Finally. Nothing for the headlights yet though, just tail lights and foglights. They're a bit more expensive than the ebay ones, but they are reputable and sell good products so you know your getting quality. In my opinion, there's not enough information about the ebay versions for me to dive into those. I've used Laminx before, so I know they have good stuff. I had clear films from them for my prelude's headlights and they were really good. Couldn't even tell they were on. Protected the headlights from chips, bugs, scratches, oxidation. Very simple to apply. I'm not sure why nothing is out for the headlights though. These are cut for a perfect fitment. So no need to guess how much to cut out or that nonesense. All you need is an exacto knife to trim edges/tabs for any small excess and some water in a spray bottle to apply it. They're also offering free shipping during the holiday season too. So that's cool.

Anyway, im trying to decide what would look good on a black car for tails. I was thinking all red, or just the light tint (6%). Any suggestions?

Link below:
Honda CR-Z (2011 and up) Headlight Covers, Clear Bras, and Tail Light Covers

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem!
The only thing about our fogs I may be concerned for is that they do heat up a bit. I would guess Laminx would be aware of this and create a heat resistant film or something. I know the fog light film tends to be thicker somtimes. You may want to contact them to double check. I know you ordered them though already. But it wouldnt hurt. Plus our fogs are recessed so it may be a bit more challenging. Not trying to discourage you, just listing possibilities to consider. You should be okay though I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had Laminx yellow on my 04' SVT Focus and have had zero issues with them....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'll be going with red for the tails, clear for the headlamps and yellow for the foglight. But for the fog, I may just replace the bulb and put clear film on. Not sure yet.

Add a drop of soap to the water. It will make it a little more manageable for the install. You don't need much soap, so really, just a drop.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah ive heard of fogs melting protective films before but like you, i assume laminX has figured this out. Good thing for me is its winter time out this way we shall see though, if it gets really melted on i would kinda peeved to have to chip off the film...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah ive heard of fogs melting protective films before but like you, i assume laminX has figured this out. Good thing for me is its winter time out this way we shall see though, if it gets really melted on i would kinda peeved to have to chip off the film...
I wouldn't worry about it with this film. It's nice and thick. In fact, another well known film company, headlight armor, claims the heat is beneficial to the adhesive they use. Go figure.

I'm very curious to see how they got around that weird 3d 'half cube' on the tail lights.:mellow:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm waiting for some clear headlight ones. I really wanna get something on them as well soon. Florida sun eats headlights for breakfast. I'm also curious to see how they've gotten around the "cube" around the tail lights like Shatner stated- same for headlights if they come out with those. Maybe they've created them with some indentation? Or it's flexible and stretchy enough to go around. One guy got the ones off of ebay and said it was a challange. In other words a b**ch to do.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
funny, i did a little research and it turns out that a lot of people are running HID/Film combos to lower the temp of the housing.

I called my HID hookup and hes doing a promo 100$ kit this month. So im getting some 3000K hids in the Fogs at 7:00 tonight, If i decide to keep the laminX or not we shall see. I like how the HID bulbs stay clear so it looks stock until they are on!

Pics upon request!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So i got the HID's in, and 4 hours later those things are an effin pain. The reservoir tank on the passenger side makes things a little... A LOT complicated. So we got the 3000K kit in to the car, everything is real cool, the lights when looking at the car match the stock light temp, but the glow that the bulbs put out is yellow! Its kinda freaky to see but its pretty much perfect. Once i throw on those overlays the light should be quite yellow. Im excited to get these puppies in the mail.

·
Registered
112 Posts
^Looks great Tin Tin! I'm definitely getting interested in this mod now, especially since you say they matched well. The increased yellow will only look/perform better in my opinion. Please post more pics once you get the film installed. A night pic (lights on) and day pic (lights off) would be great. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sure will do, my HID guy has done hundreds of installs and he said that depending on the foglight housing the 3000k hids would either be all yellow, or like mine with a 4300k look to the light and the glow is 3000k. So i would assume that our housings are all the same and the look would be the same for everyone else!

Once i get those tints i'll definitly take pics, i should take bettr pics too that just cell phone pics of the lights. We shall see how long laminX takes with their holiday shipping. I'll prolly get it like the end of january...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So i got the HID's in, and 4 hours later those things are an effin pain. The reservoir tank on the passenger side makes things a little... A LOT complicated. So we got the 3000K kit in to the car, everything is real cool, the lights when looking at the car match the stock light temp, but the glow that the bulbs put out is yellow! Its kinda freaky to see but its pretty much perfect. Once i throw on those overlays the light should be quite yellow. Im excited to get these puppies in the mail.

That is kind of strange. But yellow light is much better than white or blue light for cutting through fog. That may be why it's like that. Usuall I like yellow halogens for fogs, but this looks pretty good.

What overlay color are you using? Clear? Yellow?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm very curious to see how they got around that weird 3d 'half cube' on the tail lights.:mellow:
Can anyone answer this? I'm most likely to take it to a tint shop, because I don't have my windows tented,yet. I'd get it done at the same time.

But I may do it DIY.

Red for the tails, yellow for the fogs.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Can anyone answer this? I'm most likely to take it to a tint shop, because I don't have my windows tented,yet. I'd get it done at the same time.

But I may do it DIY.

Red for the tails, yellow for the fogs.
the fogs are probably simple enough, but the guys who did my tails used a heat gun and exacto to get it perfect. you'll see that there's grooves around our taillights, about a quarter inch thick border, and you'll want to cut away the excess, so the film won't actually reach the edges. luckily you can't tell that it doesn't reach the edges. it works out nicely. i'd definitely take it to have it done professionally if i were you.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That is kind of strange. But yellow light is much better than white or blue light for cutting through fog. That may be why it's like that. Usuall I like yellow halogens for fogs, but this looks pretty good.

What overlay color are you using? Clear? Yellow?
im not using any overlays as of yet. that pic is just the 3000k HID bulbs!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Ok. I haven't noticed the ridges. And yeah, I'm getting it done professionally.

Thanks

Thanks tintin, too.

the fogs are probably simple enough, but the guys who did my tails used a heat gun and exacto to get it perfect. you'll see that there's grooves around our taillights, about a quarter inch thick border, and you'll want to cut away the excess, so the film won't actually reach the edges. luckily you can't tell that it doesn't reach the edges. it works out nicely. i'd definitely take it to have it done professionally if i were you.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
no prob. i'm dying to see how red turns out. i was thinking red, but when i had them fitted, the guy only had smoke.
I think the red will add so much to the rear of the CR-Z. We'll see how it looks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.