Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cr-z base pwp 6mt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all! I'm getting started on piecing together parts for my crz to push N/A capabilities to the max on it. Obviously there aren't a whole lot of upgrades specific to the CR-Z when it comes to internal components. I've been looking around on some Malaysian sites and from some shops in thailand and have found a lot of rods, pistons, stroker kits, cams springs etc but 99% of them are for the L15a7. I've seen talk about an L15a7 head swap which im planning on at this point, but I guess the question comes down to whether or not the l15a7 rods and pistons and other bottom end parts will fit a CR-Z LEA. Im hoping to gather all the parts i need by this winter so I can take my CR-Z to a local shop that does a lot of work primarily on Hondas to have them tune and work out any kinks. RZCrew seems to have everything I would need, im just curious if anyone can confirm fitment of block internals and if the L15a7 head is infact a direct swap. Im currently waiting to hear back on them for fitment of the ITB kit and intake manifolds they offer as well as other bits and pieces like the pulley kit from TODA they offer. Any help or insight would be greatly welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
When you get all done what will you have? A very expensive car that no normal shop can service for probably very little gain. It may also Fail inspection and not be able to be registered or insured. You will also lose the super reliability that Honda is known for.The whole point of this car is it is a fuel efficient Hybrid( and 2 seats in the USA) that has sporty tendencies. This will never be a sports car and it will never be a Muscle car. It was built as an economy car. Costing less than $25K brand new. It is a rare discontinued niche car. There are much less expensive options for those choices. Think Type R but the economy is much less but it will also drop with the changes you are thinking about. I think you are fool who will soon be separated from your money but it is your car and your money. I see these threads all the time. The CR-Z is a well engineered car where if there was more to be gained from it Honda would have done it. Only option that is easy bang for buck is Forced induction if you have the MT.

Reality is no backyard engineer can make this car any more than it already is without a lot of compromises. Most who have gone down this path replaced the engine with a K swap and removed the Hybrid system. The nicest was @Rustbucket (Rustbucket's Build Thread) and even he after doing a lot of custom fabrication work and creating the nicest modified CR-Z I have ever seen he got rid of the car after very few drives. He has amazing skills do you?

I truly wish you luck. I hope you have another car. Others have taken years to do what you think you want.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-z base pwp 6mt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand all of that. And im well aware of people kswapping their crz. And absolutely, rustbucket's build was beautiful and the best put together crz I've seen. Does he have amazing skills? Absolutely without a doubt. Do I have the skills he has? No. Simple as that, im not going to try and say I do. I do have people who are more than willing to help, and I have resources and shops close to me that have people with the skills needed to do this. I know most build threads for anything fizzle out fairly quickly. Ive done the same with previous cars. I jumped into things far too quickly, got in way over my head, didn't have the time or $$$ to make things work and that was it. I absolutely loved this car when I first saw it, and that was in the honda tuning crz issue. Ever since then I've wanted to get one, I knew that this is what I wanted to sit down and take my time with. Im lucky enough to have gotten myself to the position financially that I can afford to pursue this and not have to feel like I'm skimping out on things. And I understand that the crz is an economy car. Its a "sport" hybrid. I understand that yes i may look like a fool, but this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I do have a second car to drive when it comes time i need it. I know this isn't going to be a week long project, or even a month or 6 months. It's going to take a lot of time, a lot of money and a lot of patience. I could finish all of this and not be happy with it and very much so regret even doing it. I know this. Thats a risk that comes with anything related to building cars. I have gone back and forth plenty with swapping a k20z3 and I keep coming back to wanting to invest in seeing what the full capabilities of our engine is. I appreciate your feedback, and im always willing to listen to and learn from what you and everyone else here has to say.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Must be nice to be debt free and independently wealthy. I will be watching to see what you do and when you get it done. I managed to become debt free 3 years ago and have no balances on anything but I still do not have my eventual retirement fully funded so I am jealous of those that can fund their passion.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-z base pwp 6mt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if wealthy would be a great term, just finacially able. But congratulations on becoming debt free, I know how big of a weight off your shoulders feeling that is. I don't have my retirement together either but I have a few years to get that figured out. I will start a build thread once I get more together and document some progress. I started this thread to gather any information I may have missed over my time reading into all of this. But my plan is to start with a L15a7 longblock, primarily for the head itself, and a LEA longblock then just start acquiring parts before they aren't available any more. That seems to be a common trend with our cars.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
The sooner you put money into retirement the sooner it compounds and grows. Everyone presumes you can save for retirement later but the reality is they never do and it becomes so much harder to make up what you never put in where if you had started earlier between compounding and matching funds from employers it is easier. At least max out your annual contribution.

But right now I am unemployed due to the Pandemic and am trying to find a new job ASAP. My Big Speed Bump project had to be put aside for now . I slowly over the last 2 years collected the parts for the project but need professional assistance with some of it so it just has to wait. I am in extreme money saving mode.

I don't know if wealthy would be a great term, just financially able. But congratulations on becoming debt free, I know how big of a weight off your shoulders feeling that is. I don't have my retirement together either but I have a few years to get that figured out. I will start a build thread once I get more together and document some progress. I started this thread to gather any information I may have missed over my time reading into all of this. But my plan is to start with a L15a7 longblock, primarily for the head itself, and a LEA longblock then just start acquiring parts before they aren't available any more. That seems to be a common trend with our cars.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-z base pwp 6mt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a great point. I have a 401k setup through my second job ive had for 10 years now, currently I dont have anything set up at my job now though. I should probably do that soon, they match on their plan so that has been something on my to-do list. I hear you with the pandemic situation. It threw me for a loop thats for sure but I was lucky enough to get right back into my current job. I know its been hard for a lot of people. I'll follow any progress you make on your project as well!
The sooner you put money into retirement the sooner it compounds and grows. Everyone presumes you can save for retirement later but the reality is they never do and it becomes so much harder to make up what you never put in where if you had started earlier between compounding and matching funds from employers it is easier. At least max out your annual contribution.

But right now I am unemployed due to the Pandemic and am trying to find a new job ASAP. My Big Speed Bump project had to be put aside for now . I slowly over the last 2 years collected the parts for the project but need professional assistance with some of it so it just has to wait. I am in extreme money saving mode.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
Match = Free money! Use 401k and work match and max out your annual contribution. That will get you lots of compounding. I took all of my 401ks a few years ago and rolled them over to an IRA account at Fidelity. I set the account up and I now ignore it. When I make my annual contribution I take the top 5 investments ( the ones that have earned the most percentage wise) and divide the new money among them evenly.

My project is kind of huge. Bits and pieces of it have been mentioned in other postings I have made. Right now all I am doing car wise is washing it when I can with my big bucket and Worx Hydroshot ( I have a huge bottle of car wash so all I pay for is water) and making sure car gets driven enough to keep the Batteries happy. I can't believe it took me 2 months to use 9 gallons of gas.

Good luck on your project and budget 15 to 20% more than the highest amount it could possibly cost. Planning and research is paramount for a big project.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-z base pwp 6mt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the input and advice! Both financially and project related. Ive definitely learned its gonna cost a bit more than you think for anything related to car parts so I've been trying to factor that in. I'll have to look into the IRA account down the road though, could be a great option. I wish I could stretch out 9 gallons for 2 months, I have a decent commute and im filling up every week and a half typically depending on if I drive my Z on the weekends. Im finishing up some maintenance on my girlfriends 99 civic so hopefully we can just drive that again!
Match = Free money! Use 401k and work match and max out your annual contribution. That will get you lots of compounding. I took all of my 401ks a few years ago and rolled them over to an IRA account at Fidelity. I set the account up and I now ignore it. When I make my annual contribution I take the top 5 investments ( the ones that have earned the most percentage wise) and divide the new money among them evenly.

My project is kind of huge. Bits and pieces of it have been mentioned in other postings I have made. Right now all I am doing car wise is washing it when I can with my big bucket and Worx Hydroshot ( I have a huge bottle of car wash so all I pay for is water) and making sure car gets driven enough to keep the Batteries happy. I can't believe it took me 2 months to use 9 gallons of gas.

Good luck on your project and budget 15 to 20% more than the highest amount it could possibly cost. Planning and research is paramount for a big project.

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
I would rather go back to my 10 gallons every 2 weeks(or more often) that would mean I was working! The financial plan took me a while to figure out so I try to provide the guidance I learned the hard way to others so they can not be as far behind in the retirement game as I am. I had a lot of 401ks from lots of jobs and it made sense to combine them all together. Never mix pretax dollars and post tax dollars in the same account!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts