Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just picked up a 2012 Z last weekend and I'm looking into suspension improvements.
After extensively searching (I don't wanna be the guy asking the question that there's 100 threads on), I couldn't find anyone talking about running Koni shocks/struts with Swift springs.

Is this a setup that anyone has? I'm looking for sort of an OEM+ suspension setup. I know the HPD setup is literally OEM+, but after reading the description of the Koni components on Kami Speed I think this might be what I ultimately want out of my suspension.

Since this is my daily driver and I don't want a whole lot of low (my girlfriend will also be driving the car and I don't want to put her through that), I'm looking for a setup that has a somewhat sporty drop in height but also improves upon the car's handling from the factory. I live in PA so the winters won't treat me too well, and I don't have easy access to a garage to constantly be tinkering with my ride height and/or dampening. Thus, I think coilovers are just more than I'll need for this vehicle, both performance and price-wise (total cost of Konis and Swifts comes out to around $600).

I know there's hate on the springs instead of coils, but I think with the better suited Koni stuff, it might actually be a pretty good mix of sport and modesty.

Parts list:
Koni Front (2): https://www.kamispeed.com/collections/honda-cr-z/products/koni-str-t-orange-front-left-shock-11-16-honda-cr-z-and-09-13-honda-fit
Koni Rear (2): https://www.kamispeed.com/collections/honda-cr-z/products/koni-str-t-orange-rear-shock-11-16-honda-cr-z-and-09-13-honda-fit
And I think everyone knows the Swift springs....

Let me know if anyone has advice and or experience with this setup! Thanks ya'll. Forgive the long post and excessive noobiness.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome! How many miles are on your car? What I have heard so far from most people is.... unless there's an actual need to replace those parts just keep what you have until a replacement is needed. Like if you were going to track the car then sure get something to better suit those needs. But if you are purely going for looks and some handling points, then it's better to wait until you've saved up for the coilovers. But do whatever you want, it's your car and its important to have fun with that.

I live in colorado and drive my car through salt and winter and snow every year too. Which is the main reason why I haven't gone with lowering springs. Haven't done coilovers yet either because they are costly. But I hear you can find tien coilovers for around $600. For now I've decided to focus on other suspension components like a rear sway bar and front chassis bar. Much cheaper option that does offer some handling characteristics I find entertaining. That way I can focus on saving up some bucks, purchase a few things over the winter, then do a big install when its warmer out again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jordy, thanks.
The car has 51k on the clock so relatively low miles for the year. Although based on the service records, the struts have never been changed, so maybe around 60k I'll want to do them anyway?

My only worry with coils is that, for the price, they aren't actually made that well. I know I can fully trust Koni and their suspension products because they're renowned for exactly that. With a set of Tein Street Basis coilovers, I guess I'm more concerned that I'm not actually getting $600 worth of quality. Anyone who has a set feel free to chime in and tell me to kick rocks. I'd love to be told I'm wrong because then this seems the obvious choice. I can't justify spending $1600+ for coils on a car that is really meant to be a hold-me-over until my life settles down a bit.

Basically I want a fun but not too troublesome suspension setup that will last me 3-4 years.

And yea, this is definitely not happening until spring at the earliest for me as well. Good luck in CO man lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wanna bump this up. Does anyone in the Northeast/North (anyone who experiences a rough winter) DD their Z on Swift springs? I'm curious if I should wait until after winter or if they're doable year-round.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to make another thread so hopefully if I just keep posting in here eventually I'll get some answers lol.

I found some KW Variant 1's on eBay for about $1000 shipped (new). Does anyone here run these? I hardly found a thing when searching for them. They're fixed dampening which is a bit of a downside, but the spring rates indicate a good bit stiffer in the front compared to stock. I'm thinking this would make daily'ing the car about 40% less enjoyable lol.

To update compared to my initial post (and the point of this thread), I'm now considering coilovers so I can raise the car for the winter months without a ton of hassle. I know KW make great suspension pieces and I would have peace of mind knowing I have a quality product on all 4 corners. My main concern about coils is it seems like to get a quality set from a quality manufacturer, you have to spend $1500 or more, and this would still only get me about 3 years before a rebuild is necessary. With Koni struts + swift springs for $600, I'd probably get much more life out of my suspension upgrades.

Help me out CRZForum! Again, sorry for spamming my own thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts