Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I want to get a 2nd key for my recently purchased 2015 CR-Z. Unfortunately, the selling Honda dealer only had one key. So I took the car to my local Honda dealer to get a 2nd key made. They charged me $193 for the additional key, and they could not program the key to work. They said the car needs a new transponder module to code the key, which Honda will pay for, but it is on backorder, and they don't know when it will come in. Has anyone else ever had a 2nd key made and run into this problem? If so, how did you resolve the issue? Thanks

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Go to a locksmith or another dealer. I lost a key for mine and for the cost they charged me when I left I had 2 working keys. Any dealer should be able to do this without needing that part. Sounds like they do not know what they are doing or they did the process wrong and fried it.

Was the one key they had a full remote with buttons or just the key that goes in the ignition with no buttons? A lot of used cars have the non buttoned key when purchased and that would indicate an issue with the car or possible broken part.

In my opinion if you bought the car from that dealer they should provide you 2 working keys at no charge. Car was sold with 2 exact same keys with keyless entry and alarm buttons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to a locksmith or another dealer. I lost a key for mine and for the cost they charged me when I left I had 2 working keys. Any dealer should be able to do this without needing that part. Sounds like they do not know what they are doing or they did the process wrong and fried it.
Thank you for your response, I was thinking that too, that I should go to another dealer.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Honestly that price isn't too terrible for a stealership. Still expensive but some locksmiths will be around that much for new key and programming as well and stealerships are known to charge way more than that. Still second the Bump's sentiment to seek out another attempt by someone else. Your regular locksmiths do key programming now (call and ask) and at least you don't have to wait at a dealership that will then tell you X, Y and Z are also all bad and you should replace them right now or sign this waiver.

·
Banned
433 Posts
It is possible the key they sold you has a bad transponder. Pretty unlikely but it is possible. It is also possible they didn't sell you the correct key. Honda had the exact key blank with fob for at least two different immobilizer generations that are not cross compatible.

Any chance you have the part number for the key they sold you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is possible the key they sold you has a bad transponder. Pretty unlikely but it is possible. It is also possible they didn't sell you the correct key. Honda had the exact key blank with fob for at least two different immobilizer generations that are not cross compatible.

Any chance you have the part number for the key they sold you?
Thank you for the response, that key part number is 1 35118-SZT-A00 35111. This number was on the invoice they gave me.[/QUOTE]

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Ops dealer does not know how to program the car. This is a standard thing any dealer especially should be able to do and as I stated earlier they should provide you 2 working remote keys at no charge. to you ( even if they have to send it out to another vendor).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts