Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any owner using this key and got the same problem? This is a Australian CRZ flip key.

I just wondered who design this key, the paint on the honda H comes off just after a few months use (this is the 2nd key), while my integra (RSX) key looks brand new after 12 years. Very upset.

Good car, bad keys.

Probably not design for daily use.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had mine for about 5 months and after seeing this thread checked and the silver is coming off of the middle of the H..

So sad, i am thinking of respray the H or getting a new one from honda or ask them are there any other design keys can be purchased.

The flip key is not fancy at all, it is just stupid, the chrome paint is also coming off at the unlock/lock buttons as well. Also, the key always unflipped in my pocket, no point at all.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im contemplating sealing the chrome and rest of the housing with something like PCB sealer, but I don't know how well itll turn out, so before i do that ill think about the cover or if i can find decent alternate key fob housing i might go with that

I think most on here would suggest plastidip as it seems popularly used here XD

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im contemplating sealing the chrome and rest of the housing with something like PCB sealer, but I don't know how well itll turn out, so before i do that ill think about the cover or if i can find decent alternate key fob housing i might go with that

I think most on here would suggest plastidip as it seems popularly used here XD
Do you mean something like this? Radio Parts - Electronics & Components - pagenotfound
Too late for me unless get a new key, cos paint on both keys of mine are coming off~

BTW, your white MY13 is so nice! :D

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
See if eBay/etc. has a silicone cover for that switchblade. Or, keep it in a pocket where you don't have other keys.

Always leave your ignition key to itself. Don't put it on a ring with boat anchors.

·
Registered
431 Posts
BTW, your white MY13 is so nice! :D
Thanks ^_^

You're very upset that the paint on your key is rubbing off? :rotfl:
Im surprised its actually happening at all, you'd think theyd use some electroplated material on something like a key fob shell

See if eBay/etc. has a silicone cover for that switchblade. Or, keep it in a pocket where you don't have other keys.

Always leave your ignition key to itself. Don't put it on a ring with boat anchors.
Yah getting a cover or a shell of some sort seems the way to go

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just wait for the H in the center of the wheel to do the exact same thing. Honda uses the crappiest clear coats on all their metallic plastic.

·
Registered
593 Posts
some great ideas

blue painters tape

laminated photo of your key fob taped on top of the "H"

plastidip the "H"

yell at it

take it to a chrome shop to repair it

get another on amazon and repeat the process all over again

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
....Im surprised its actually happening at all, you'd think theyd use some electroplated material on something like a key fob shell.....
This sort of thing hasn't been "plated" for many years. The substrate is likely plastic, and the "chrome" is a vacuum-deposit procedure. I most suspect the failure was begun by something else in your pocket scraping a part of the coating away.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I never said I put the key in my pockets, I don't at all actually because I have a dedicated pouch in my bag which i put the keys into exclusively when not being used.

anyway I'm buying two of those leather covers for mine since the wear on one of my two sets is extremely minor and not happening on the other yet. problem solved.

as for the OP, maybe you should pursue a replacement key set if you want, otherwise could get a cheap shell and change it over and put whatever logo u like on the back

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Or maybe just order an American key fob, ours seem to hold up better.
it should, cos ONLY this style of flip key paint is coming off, the keyless style never have this problem, also, my 2005 honda integra ( RSX ) key is like brand new, other than tiny little screw is getting a bit oxidised.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts