Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
I'll be doing my first detail on the CRZ this weekend, actually.

I will be washing with Optimum No-Rinse (similar to what bizzy described above). Might claybar the front and will be giving it a coat or two of Klasse AIO followed by a coat or two of Souveran paste wax applied with a light coat of Pinnacle Crystal Mist. I use generic Eagle spray for the tires and some Pinnacle rubber/vinyl spray for the trim. I'm going to try Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer for the inside trim.

· Registered
232 Posts
I finally got around to doing the detailing process I described. I'm pretty happy with the results. Given the amateurish detail the dealership gave the car before I picked her up, I can honestly say she's better than new.

Optimum No Rinse
Klasse AIO (x2)
Pinnacle Souveran Paste/Crystal Mist (x2)
Klasse exterior rubber/trim treatment
Generic tire 'gel'

· Registered
232 Posts
California Dusters are real bad for paint.

As a blanket statement I disagree. It dependings on the use. While dragging something across your paint isn't always the best idea, I've found the use of a California Duster, lightly, on a regularly waxed car causes absolutely no damage or swirling. Of course, the car must only be dusty and not dirty, but it works. Also the greener/yellower the dust the more pollen that makes up said dust which is more abrasive. I definitely wouldn't recommend the CD on a car covered in large amounts of pollen.

· Registered
232 Posts
Obviously wiping down the vehicle with a detailing spray is even better, and of course someone at Adams is going to push their own product, but that doesn't mean the CD is without its place. I'm not always able to take the time to wipe my car down with a spray. In those instances, and between wipe-downs/details, the CD is perfect and leaves no visible swirling/scratches.

· Registered
232 Posts
I have used real life experience in both- Spray and wipe doesn't take that much longer- maybe two minutes at the most, does a better job, no sweep marks, no scratches or swirls and restores shine.

To each his own But I will never let a CD touch any of my cars.
With how much my co-workers already tease me for the quick dusting of my car when leaving the office, I don't even want to know what they'd put me through for a 2 minute detail spray wipe-down. :blush:

· Registered
232 Posts
this is what "google" research proves - you can find the good and the bad about ANYTHING on there... i listen to the experts when it comes to anything i do... so if i have a guy that details cars for a living, i'll take his advice over someone that works at McDonalds on how to properly clean my car...

the waterless car wash system i posted above needs to be used with a GOOD clean microfiber towel ONLY... if you use any other kind of rag, then you can expect to just be rubbing in the dirt into the paint...

the product i mentioned is exclusively used by Barrett Jackson Auctions, Jay Leno, and some other top names in the auto world, to name a couple...
What he said.

Using the proper method and products and in conjunction with a regular detail, a good rinse-less car wash can be perfectly safe for your paint.

· Registered
232 Posts
I bought a pack of their microfibre cloths, which seem pretty good, but I'm conscious that they would get dirty very quickly. You could wash them afterwards, but won't they be holding a lot of dirt by the time you get to the end of the car?

I use Optimum and I wash my microfiber cloths by hand after each wash (sometimes every other wash for the drying microfiber). You can absolutely get away with one bucket if your car isn't too dirty. If you've got salt or lots of road grime a second rinse bucket is a good idea. Also, if your car gets exceptionally dirty many users will spray down the area with a bug-sprayer filled with the solution prior to wiping it down, just to make sure there is plenty of the solution on the panel before the cloth touches the paint.

ANYTHING that touches your paint will cause minor swirling over time, however minute. However, ONR seems to have caused less swirling than my old standard method of a rinse/sponge/rinse/chamois. I wash my car with ONR once a week and with a little bit quick detail spray from time-to-time I have no swirls in my black paint. Overall, I'd say my paint still looks 98% as good after a ONR wash/spray wax as it did just after a full detail several weeks back.

I detailed cars professionally for a detailing company my Dad owned while I was in highschool and college. I would have scoffed at the idea of a rinsless car wash at the time. ONR has made me a convert, however. I can't see ever going back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.