Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being I live in Florida I would like to know if there is a way to keep the engine running at a red light. It doesn’t take much for the sun to heat the car up in summer. Econo it seems to always shut down. Normal it seems to stay on sometimes. Any pointers on how to keep it running to keep the AC cooling all the time or at least in town??

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you want to keep the auto-stop at bay, while also leaving the AC on, my first suggestion is dependent on which transmission you have. You have the CVT, right? With the MT, we can put the car into reverse, then neutral again, but the engine will continue running. I'm not sure if this applies to CVT as well, but if no one corrects me on this, you could always give it a try.

Otherwise, you could try turning the AC fans much higher before coming to the light, though this is a guess and I'm not certain it will work. The only other way to certainly disable auto-stop at a light is to turn on the defroster and have the temp at "HI", but likely you'll want to avoid this during Florida summers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want to keep the auto-stop at bay, while also leaving the AC on, my first suggestion is dependent on which transmission you have. You have the CVT, right? With the MT, we can put the car into reverse, then neutral again, but the engine will continue running. I'm not sure if this applies to CVT as well, but if no one corrects me on this, you could always give it a try.

Otherwise, you could try turning the AC fans much higher before coming to the light, though this is a guess and I'm not certain it will work. The only other way to certainly disable auto-stop at a light is to turn on the defroster and have the temp at "HI", but likely you'll want to avoid this during Florida summers.
I have a CVT so I believe if I just bump it into neutral it will keep running. I think I have done that when I was experimenting with how things work. Just wanted to know if there was a button or some setting that would bypass that feature. I can definitely work around it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
defrost button will disable auto stop but not sure how to keep it running with A/C Sport will Auto Stop Less. Set temperature lower than you want to cool car more so even if engine stops cooler air is pushed out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
defrost button will disable auto stop but not sure how to keep it running with A/C Sport will Auto Stop Less. Set temperature lower than you want to cool car more so even if engine stops cooler air is pushed out.
I will try several thing until I find something that works then I will post it and impress everyone with my depth of knowledge. With this Fla sun blasting down it doesn’t take long to break a sweat with no AC and a trip thru town, stop and go, would be brutal! One of my friends has an F 150, not a Hibrid but the engine stops when the truck stops. He has a button or switch that disables that feature. Also you can put the defrost on and turn the temp down cant you while the AC is on?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
You can turn it down while in defrost but it will blow out defroster vents.
I will try several thing until I find something that works then I will post it and impress everyone with my depth of knowledge. With this Fla sun blasting down it doesn’t take long to break a sweat with no AC and a trip thru town, stop and go, would be brutal! One of my friends has an F 150, not a Hibrid but the engine stops when the truck stops. He has a button or switch that disables that feature. Also you can put the defrost on and turn the temp down cant you while the AC is on?

·
Premium Member
5,842 Posts
I have a CVT so I believe if I just bump it into neutral it will keep running. I think I have done that when I was experimenting with how things work. Just wanted to know if there was a button or some setting that would bypass that feature. I can definitely work around it. Thanks
You can put it in LOW gear (hold both paddle shifters in,) and that will disable autostop too, but it takes a long time for it to kick into low cause you have to hold them in for something like 10 seconds before it goes into low. But once you get going again, just press one of the MODE buttons to disengage it back to "normal."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try settings the fan direction to front screen and floor or face vents.

My car doesn't auto stop if air is directed at the windscreen

·
Registered
14 Posts
everyone is making this way to complicated. Stay out of eco mode and set the ac temp to low. Auto stop will never kick in regardless of the fan setting. I live in Florida too. Auto stop is horrible in the summer.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
everyone is making this way to complicated. Stay out of eco mode and set the ac temp to low. Auto stop will never kick in regardless of the fan setting. I live in Florida too. Auto stop is horrible in the summer.
NOT "everyone"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can put it in LOW gear (hold both paddle shifters in,) and that will disable autostop too, but it takes a long time for it to kick into low cause you have to hold them in for something like 10 seconds before it goes into low. But once you get going again, just press one of the MODE buttons to disengage it back to "normal."
Ok. What I have found after experimenting and talking to others who have hybrids, not just CRZs is that on very hot days turn your AC all the way down and drive in “normal”. The car should stay running at a stop. If it does shut down its only for a short time and it comes back on. On level ground, slip it into neutral and take your foot off the break. And If you set the temp on auto it should stay running until it reaches the set temp then the engine shuts off until the temp gets a few degrees above the set temp. If I am incorrect about any of that please correct me but thats what I have found from playing with it. I will try the double paddle pull tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Or push defrost button all air will be directed to windshield. But that defeats the major fuel savings feature this car has.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or push defrost button all air will be directed to windshield. But that defeats the major fuel savings feature this car has.
I am not trying to circumvent the engine stopping at red lights all the time but in the dead of summer in Florida when it's 90-95 it would be worth it to have it continue to run if driving during daylight hours. Every other time is pretty much good to go. Thanks. I will be leaving things as is and keep the temp low. Should be fine. Wish they still made this car.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
29 Posts
If I need to keep the engine running I just pop it into neutral and engage the handbrake.

Also, if the car's internal temperature is quite far from the set temperature, the engine will stay running.

I also read that if the fan speed is set to manual and there are more than "5 bars", the engine won't shut off either. I haven't tested it much, but it doesn't seem to work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts