Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice with k tuner understanding the vtec crossover point and raising the rev limiter.
Im mot new to ecu tuning but on most normal aftermarket ecu's thete arent multiple fields for vtec crossover point. Its just on or off at a certain rpm. Say "on" at or above 5200 and "off" below 5200. So im not understanding the 2 fields for vtec with 2 seperate rpm points each that seem to be or need to maintain 200 rpm difference like oem.

I did the ge8 cam/rockers and intake swap now have my k tuner and need to change vtec crossover point so i can utilize the low cam profile longer then switch to the high cam.

Next is rev limiter, i dont really need to raise it but if valvetrain will go to 7000 with cam and still make power then why not? Again it has 2 fields im jot used to. So just change botj and keep them 500rpm apart like they are in factory map?

Would be nice if with k tuner you could copy and paste fuel and ignition maps from other platforms into our modified tune. Also transfer over other things from other platforms on the evu pin outs. The electronic waste gate actuator from the civic turbo would be nice, oem boost tuning and control, oem wideband, ect.

Lastly since this is my daily im getting the dreaded p0420 code every 2 key cycles. In k tuner it has ability to ignore the cat and option to turn off secondary o2. Turning off secondary o2 has a p code next to it. Will that remedy my check engine for now till i go turbo and tank both cats off and sell them to recycler.

Also egr is able to be turned off. Im not fan of egr but on my insight i have it suposedly helps mpg. Would turning off egr on crz help or hinder mpg? I really dont want to keep it or have to put egr tube on my downpipe so rather turn it off.

I dont expect the crz to be a rocketship. I bought it knowing its diminutive power and not great fuel economy compared to my g1 insight. I just wanted a nicer car that had some tuning options. Knowing i would be doing hybrid modifications and turboing it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Looking for some advice with k tuner understanding the vtec crossover point and raising the rev limiter.
Im mot new to ecu tuning but on most normal aftermarket ecu's thete arent multiple fields for vtec crossover point. Its just on or off at a certain rpm. Say "on" at or above 5200 and "off" below 5200. So im not understanding the 2 fields for vtec with 2 seperate rpm points each that seem to be or need to maintain 200 rpm difference like oem.

I did the ge8 cam/rockers and intake swap now have my k tuner and need to change vtec crossover point so i can utilize the low cam profile longer then switch to the high cam.

Next is rev limiter, i dont really need to raise it but if valvetrain will go to 7000 with cam and still make power then why not? Again it has 2 fields im jot used to. So just change botj and keep them 500rpm apart like they are in factory map?

Would be nice if with k tuner you could copy and paste fuel and ignition maps from other platforms into our modified tune. Also transfer over other things from other platforms on the evu pin outs. The electronic waste gate actuator from the civic turbo would be nice, oem boost tuning and control, oem wideband, ect.

Lastly since this is my daily im getting the dreaded p0420 code every 2 key cycles. In k tuner it has ability to ignore the cat and option to turn off secondary o2. Turning off secondary o2 has a p code next to it. Will that remedy my check engine for now till i go turbo and tank both cats off and sell them to recycler.

Also egr is able to be turned off. Im not fan of egr but on my insight i have it suposedly helps mpg. Would turning off egr on crz help or hinder mpg? I really dont want to keep it or have to put egr tube on my downpipe so rather turn it off.

I dont expect the crz to be a rocketship. I bought it knowing its diminutive power and not great fuel economy compared to my g1 insight. I just wanted a nicer car that had some tuning options. Knowing i would be doing hybrid modifications and turboing it.
good luck lol

· Premium Member
6,307 Posts
@MartinT was telling me about messing around with the vtec setting with his CR-Z, but that was about five years ago, so I can't remember exactly how he set his up and he's sold his car and hasn't been around the forum for a while.... You might do a search of his build thread or even the Sprintex thread and see if you can get any snippits of info from circa 2017 posts or earlier. (I don't have my ktuner anymore either, so it's been a while since I've messed around with it.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts