Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wait, do these cars have a map or a MAF? If they have a MAF behind the filter I would really get that K&N out of there. I've had a decent amount of cars with MAFs that had issues simply because the K&N is oil based, the oil will get sucked off the air filter and onto the MAF sensor causing it to read cold (leaning the car out) robbing performance over time and eventually causing it to misread so badly it starts misfiring and tripping the oxygen sensors. Not to mention the filtering ability of the K&N isn't exactly what I would call great. It's one thing if you have a 650whp turbo car where you can't find anything else that will fit in a hurry, but paper filters like Wix are actually pretty good and very cheap considering the $50 price tag these K&Ns have and their $10-15 recharge kits. Talk to any shop, the majority of them will back me up on this.

Edit: Yup, just checked and there's a MAF there, do what you want but if it were me, I'd yank that K&N out and throw it away.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I guess if you over oil the filter that could happen. I have never had a problem with them, and I have been using them for many years. I have them in my snowmobiles, atv's, my pick up, my tahoe, my kubota tractor, my girlfriends element, and my crz.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Wait, do these cars have a map or a MAF? If they have a MAF behind the filter I would really get that K&N out of there. I've had a decent amount of cars with MAFs that had issues simply because the K&N is oil based, the oil will get sucked off the air filter and onto the MAF sensor causing it to read cold (leaning the car out) robbing performance over time and eventually causing it to misread so badly it starts misfiring and tripping the oxygen sensors. Not to mention the filtering ability of the K&N isn't exactly what I would call great. It's one thing if you have a 650whp turbo car where you can't find anything else that will fit in a hurry, but paper filters like Wix are actually pretty good and very cheap considering the $50 price tag these K&Ns have and their $10-15 recharge kits. Talk to any shop, the majority of them will back me up on this.

Edit: Yup, just checked and there's a MAF there, do what you want but if it were me, I'd yank that K&N out and throw it away.
You're right about the oil could clog the MAF if you bathe your filter in the recharge oil. You would really have to drench that filter so its dripping. I have owned plenty of MAF cars and have always used K&N filters. NEVER had a problem because I follow the recharge instructions. But I can see how the MAF could fail if you over soak it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not going to lie, I've owned two cars with a MAF that I used K&Ns on, I never had a problem with either of them myself. However those filters did result in a steady amount of people to come into my shops. The filter doesn't have to be dripping, a lot of people wont ever know they put too much oil on it even if they know about the issue. If you REALLY want a K&N for a stock replacement filter, I would recommend when you do recharge it to take an air compressor to it, hold it about 2 feet away at around 120psi and give it just a quick shot from both sides; then let it sit for at least 12 hours (24 recommended). Just be careful when you use them.

For anybody else surfing these threads, I suppose my biggest issue with these filters is that although it can be an increase in air flow in some cases, for the price you're paying you're not really improving much of anything because the gains are very minimal on a stock system. Honda does a great job with their engineering and wouldn't put in a paper or cotton filter that could ever be considered too small or restrictive for the stock airbox.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.