Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to join up here, the other CR-Z forum I was in is kinda slow...

I do not own a CR-Z, but I assure you, if Honda makes an Si or a Type-R I will indeed make the purchase.

I have loved hot hatchbacks for a very long time, my first hot hatch was back in my high school days, and yes, you can all start laughing your butt off now...... but that's ok, I loved it, and still have fond memories of it, 1973 AMC Gremlin-X Levi Edition.

My next 3-door was not as hot, but way more reliable, 1981 Honda Accord 3-door. After that the Accord came a '87 CRX-Si, and in 1991 I got rid of that and got my '90 CRX-Si, of which I still have today. Excluding motorcycles and trucks, the only other car I have bought since then is my '02 Honda S2000 I got new. As you can see, I'm sort of a Honda guy....

I have wanted a new hot hatch to take over daily driver duties but have been holding out because I want a 3-door with some power. I'm no fan of the MINI or the Golf GTI, and tghise are about the only decent 3-doors out there nowadays. I thought the Fiat 500 Abarth was going to fill the bill but after I saw my first Fiat 500 I changed my mind. My best hope for a good hot hatch is the CR-Z, but of course Honda needs to give it some real power for me, the body is fine, it's great in fact, but the performance is just not there for my needs.

I decided to join so I can keep track of any new news coming on the so called Si/Type-R versions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well that was a warm welcome........... :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would laugh and make fun of you, but you did find your way to owning a Honda, so I'll let the Gremlin slip up slide this time!!:pP:

Welcome, but I don't understand all the need for power, unless you plan on hauling a boat with this thing, it has all the power anyone should need!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
As of yet there is nothing other than some low level rumors about a type-r/si version, I havent heard anything confirmed or even close to confirmed for production. Honda's heart really isn't in the "fast car" business these days and there isn't much sign of their mentality changing so...you might be waiting a while for something to come to production. A lot of people like myelf are enjoying this first edition greatly while awaiting vendor's development of all kinds of bolt-ons and boost setups. In the next year or two a lot of things will probably come to the market to pep these cars up, once the newness wears off price might come down too hopefully (~5 grand for a supercharger currently).
I can't wait for a big name company to make a custom turbo kit, but anyways welcome =D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sorry, that's the downside of a busier forum, the posts get bumped out of recents fast. Eventually someone would have found you as a lot of people eventually scan through the individual forum categories.

But Welcome, and hopefully we'll all get rewarded with the possibility of adding more speed if wanted. But for now it's just wait and see, and enjoy the still ridiculously fun to drive non-si. :)

-Hoi

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Well that was a warm welcome........... :p
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, sometimes there are so many post, that some get lost in the mix. We apologize and are happy to have you here...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would laugh and make fun of you, but you did find your way to owning a Honda, so I'll let the Gremlin slip up slide this time!!:pP:
Welcome, but I don't understand all the need for power, unless you plan on hauling a boat with this thing, it has all the power anyone should need!!
:grin: I loved that stupid Gremlin-X, and believe me, 99.9% of the people I tell that too agree with ya...

I just happen to have the need for speed. I taught high performance driving at racetracks for 20-years. All my vehicle purchases are made with power and performance as a primary consideration, it's just who I am and what I like.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
some people want looks AND speed. others like us are satisfied with looks alone.
Perfect!

And I think it is great some of you out there are so into the green aspect of this car and the whole performance/speed thing is not a top priority.

I have been following the rumors since about 2000 when they started to really heat up about the so called next CRX. When I saw the CR-Z concept I nearly fell out of my chair, it is such a looker, such a great design.

I have always believed, the CR-Z should take a page from the CRX's history book. The CRX came in what I will call Regular, and EF, and Si. I think the CR-Z should have some sub-models just like that, or maybe just an EF and an Si. The CR-Z we have now could be the EF, the environmentally friendly version and then an Si version for people like me. One dam sexy body working two different market segments.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As of yet there is nothing other than some low level rumors about a type-r/si version, I havent heard anything confirmed or even close to confirmed for production.

Honda's heart really isn't in the "fast car" business these days and there isn't much sign of their mentality changing so...you might be waiting a while for something to come to production.
I read this as more than a low level rumor
“We are working on a more powerful CR-Z,” said Tomohiko Kawanabe, the automaker’s head of research and development, in an interview with Britain’s Autocar. “Our problem with the car as it stands is that it looks very good, but it doesn’t have the performance some customers expect.”
Honda Pledges to Boost CR-Z Power - NYTimes.com

I agree Honda has lost their mojo, but I also believe Honda has been thinking long and hard about their CR-Z sales figures in this country, the goal was 1,500 units a month, and they are nowhere even close to that. And I believe Honda is willing to spend a little more on R&D to step it up in hopes of getting closer to their sales goal here.

·
Registered
669 Posts
The CR-Z we have now could be the EF, the environmentally friendly version and then an Si version for people like me. One dam sexy body working two different market segments.
And I believe there have been plans all along for a more powerful version. But I also believe that added power and efficiency will come from added capacity via Li batteries and a stronger IMA motor combined with a modest HP bump from the NA gas engine. I'd guess the changes will arrive in year 3 as the MMC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.