Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm guessing you'd have to replace the entire bumper.... guys?
Oh doesnt someone with black want to swap?
You would not need a 2016 bumper. That area was not changed but the bigger problem is compatibility between the two markets. Japan has auto leveling headlights that we do not. I am not sure how that would affect them and I would be concerned that the bulb layout/ coloring is different and you would have to mess with writing for automatic headlights, DRLs, and dealing with passing safety inspection when you renew your registration.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This is what I am talking about the bulb layout and wiring concerns. Look at how the turn signal is on this. This is one of the things I really want to look into to replace my stock 2016 headlights with the JDM ones but I don't have the money to buy a set and try it out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Holy **** that looks cool.

I'm definitely not going to try anything though, if my 2011 can't have USDM 2013+ LEDs weird Japanese only LEDs are definitely a bad idea.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Holy **** that looks cool.

I'm definitely not going to try anything though, if my 2011 can't have USDM 2013+ LEDs weird Japanese only LEDs are definitely a bad idea.
I just noticed your post about you having a 2011 and I would have to say your SOL. Those with LEDs already might be a small wire splice but with no LED your talking about a huge change due to the power needed to light LEDs is so much lower then a normal bulb. Though I plan on buying the JP ones so some time next year I will have a spare 2016 you could buy if you wanted to experiment at get USDM LEDs

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just noticed your post about you having a 2011 and I would have to say your SOL. Those with LEDs already might be a small wire splice but with no LED your talking about a huge change due to the power needed to light LEDs is so much lower then a normal bulb. Though I plan on buying the JP ones so some time next year I will have a spare 2016 you could buy if you wanted to experiment at get USDM LEDs
Others have blazed that trail and found it basically impossible

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Swapping full headlight assemblies from a RHD/JDM/EDM (left hand traffic) to a LHD (right hand traffic) will have the beam cutoff on the wrong side, you'll be blinding and pissing off all other drivers on the road.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
They do look cool, but you can't see them from the driver's seat. See if you can track down a set from a junker or eBay or something, and build your own LED arrays in them if you got to have them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Swapping full headlight assemblies from a RHD/JDM/EDM (left hand traffic) to a LHD (right hand traffic) will have the beam cutoff on the wrong side, you'll be blinding and pissing off all other drivers on the road.
I have not started looking into it yet so you might be right but I am also pretty sure there is an adjuster in the 2016 models that I might be able to use to correct this. I like a challenge and if I have the money I plan on trying.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
"Because wrong-side-of-road headlamps blind oncoming drivers and do not adequately light the driver's way, and blackout strips and adhesive prismatic lenses reduce the safety performance of the headlamps, some countries require all vehicles registered or used on a permanent or semipermanent basis within the country to be equipped with headlamps designed for the correct traffic-handedness.[26][27] North American vehicle owners sometimes privately import and install Japanese-market (JDM) headlamps on their car in the mistaken belief that the beam performance will be better, when in fact such misapplication is quite hazardous and illegal."

The cutoff shield is mechanical in nature, i.e. moulded into the headlight reflector optics for traditional headlights (like the headlights pictured appear to be) or a rigid metal shield in the case of projector lamps and is often part of the cast metal projector housing and thus cannot be changed (some can but this process requires precision most DIY jobs lack) . Some vehicle headlights on models sold in Europe had a manual selector switch on the headlight assemblies themselves like a few BMW/Audi models when driving to countries with different traffic patterns but even those are rare.

Headlight aiming is completely separate of beam cutoff type. Changing the aiming of the headlights does not correct improper cutoff.

The cutoff type is also different from DOT standards vs ECE (step vs 'sweep').

https://www.google.com/search?q=LHD+RHD+headlights&biw=1027&bih=658&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3-uHbguLNAhUM2GMKHR0HAMUQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=LHD+RHD+headlights+cutoff

"Most low-beam headlamps produce an asymmetrical beam distribution suitable for use on only one side of the road[citation needed]. Low beam headlamps for use in LH-traffic countries throw most of their light forward-leftward; those for RH-traffic countries throw most of their light forward-rightward, thus illuminating obstacles and road signs an adequate distance ahead on the driver's own side of the road while limiting glare to oncoming traffic on the other side of the road."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

"Most low-beam headlamps are specifically designed for use on only one side of the road. Headlamps for use in left-traffic countries have low-beam headlamps that "dip to the left"; the light is distributed with a downward/leftward bias to show the driver the road and signs ahead without blinding oncoming traffic. Headlamps for right-traffic countries have low beams that "dip to the right", with most of their light directed downward/rightward."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

·
Registered
689 Posts
They do look cool, but you can't see them from the driver's seat.
Your point? I mod my car for over all looks, both when behind the driver seat and not. Just because you think it is a waste of money to do a mod you can't see from the seat does not mean others don't. We know you pretty much hate this car, but I love it and I plan on making it my own how I see fit.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
...... I am also pretty sure there is an adjuster in the 2016 models that I might be able to use to correct this.......
As Koala has shown, it's not a matter of "adjustment". It's how the reflectors are actually shaped to guide the beams on LHD roads. If you look on the British eBay, you can find hundreds of "blinders" that are made to stick on the headlight lens to make a British market car driveable on the Continent, for those headlamps that use the faceting of the lenses to guide the beam pattern and spread. Some of their cars actually have a movable "shutter" built into the headlights to adapt them to driving on RHD roads.

......We know you pretty much hate this car,
Your reading comprehension needs help.

but I love it and I plan on making it my own how I see fit.
As for "useless" mods, it only comes from someone who has done far too many in the last forty years. Please don't take it as an affront, it's just more growling from a cranky old bear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts