Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good brand for a jack? I'm also aware there are different types with ones with back up pins.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I've used Craftsman floor jacks and jack stands for years. Very sturdy, stored my Type R on them for long periods and am still constantly using them. I also use a harbor freight cheapo aluminum floor jack as well. I don't like the pin-type jack-stand though, I prefer the ratchet type. Like these:

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm.. those look great. Do guys use an extra pair for a backup in case the main ones fail? Currently I have a ramp but once I get a little technical such as tires, I can't use that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No I do usually leave the jack under the car too though but I only have 4 stands. One day when I make my millions I'll have more :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use two 2-ton jackstands I bought at autozone and a 2.5 ton hydraulic jack. Most important is the jack to make sure it is sturdy and has a wider base to prevent tipping. I dont use air tools so sometimes I am applying a lot of sustained torque to break bolts loose, and some jacks can be scary. Same goes for jackstands make sure they have a wide base and are sturdy, shouldnt have to spend a lot tho.

For emergency backup when working under the car with the wheels off, Ill slide the dismounted tires and wheels under the floorpans of the car. Shouldnt need to tho as long as you never rely on a jack alone, just to put it on jackstands.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I just bought the Craftsman Jackstand. I picked up 2 pairs = 4. Got it for about $20 each, Sears had a 15% off.

I got one question, how does that lock tab work? It looks as if you need to push it in but I don't see how it locks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.