Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yknow, we all know that the CR-Z is missing the performance that it was suppose to have. tiny sohc honda fit engine!

What if after 1 year, honda comes out with an SI variant to the CR-Z???

That would suck a$$ to all those who rushed to buy the first year of the CR-Z....

I just have a small gut feeling that honda might just be playing with people and offering weak stuff at first, then coming out with something big later!

Maybe its wishful thinking, but I'm sure honda engineers have thought of it...but what if there is a k20a hybrid engine???

It'd be the perfect n/a engine...it would have the awesome torque that was absent in the k20, and the ultimate race engine prowness of the high revving k20 dohc i-vtec motor??? Thus, a perfect CRZ!

we already get 29mpg on a civic si....adding a hybrid IMA to the engine with a lighter chassis like the CRZ would be a hit near 40mpg....but with all the power you would ever want....

k20z3 si motor - 197hp, 139tq 29mpg
k20z3 si motor is hybrid IMA - 210hp, 190tq 36-38mpg

wouldn't it be great if honda listened and stop making a fool of themselves?

CR-Z si anyone?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Again, you just don't "get" the point of the CR-Z. Right from it's first design stage it was meant to do what the cr-x did over 20 years ago. Introduce a small, fun, economical city car into the market.

Never have Honda even breathed of a K20 version. (The engine wouldn't fit anyway as the L15 only does just with head alterations) I've also heard from a friend that lives in Japan that the K-series engine doesn't have that long left anyway. It's not as economical as Honda would like.

They designed the CR-Z right from the word go to be designed around hybrid technology. They are being very daring trying to get people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in hybrid's due to the car's fun nature. Note the words here are "fun" and "sporty". Not "track car" or "race car".

If Honda did introduce a faster more performance based version knowing Honda we hear about it years before it's introduced so I'd bet money that it's not going to happen any time soon if at all.

Again with so many sales and orders for the CR-Z already I don't think Honda are making a fool of themselves. Infact if the CR-Z was a trackday ready K20 monster I bet they would have sold a lot less than they have so far. (They might have kept you happy but unfortunatly Honda just want to sell as many cars as possible especially in this global economic crisis.)

Times have changed - Live with it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, you just don't "get" the point of the CR-Z. Right from it's first design stage it was meant to do what the cr-x did over 20 years ago. Introduce a small, fun, economical city car into the market.

Never have Honda even breathed of a K20 version. (The engine wouldn't fit anyway as the L15 only does just with head alterations) I've also heard from a friend that lives in Japan that the K-series engine doesn't have that long left anyway. It's not as economical as Honda would like.

They designed the CR-Z right from the word go to be designed around hybrid technology. They are being very daring trying to get people who otherwise wouldn't be interested in hybrid's due to the car's fun nature. Note the words here are "fun" and "sporty". Not "track car" or "race car".

If Honda did introduce a faster more performance based version knowing Honda we hear about it years before it's introduced so I'd bet money that it's not going to happen any time soon if at all.

Again with so many sales and orders for the CR-Z already I don't think Honda are making a fool of themselves. Infact if the CR-Z was a trackday ready K20 monster I bet they would have sold a lot less than they have so far. (They might have kept you happy but unfortunatly Honda just want to sell as many cars as possible especially in this global economic crisis.)

Times have changed - Live with it!
It seems as though you don't really know what you're talking about! The k20 will live and is an extremely efficient engine. also, it seems as though you keep comparing jdm and edm sales with USDM sales...which they are completely different types of markets.

also, if you haven't read much of the media about what honda keeps saying about the new CRZ, they keep saying that its gonna be some great track car....heck even mugen and spoon are trying so hard to back up honda on this field....seems as though these two branches are only succeeding in making the CRZ look better, but thats it....performance is still at a fail.

reason why is crappy engine and crappy suspension! Its like kia rio and toyota yaris quality....it just ain't gonna work.

I know times have changed....but not so much to the point that they turn into toyota....if they can still make pointless decisions like the ZDX or the turbo engine into an RDX...or the RL sedan....its just showing that they're being stupid.

With spoon or mugens overhaul on the CRZ to gain a measly 25 hp, and it will then only get 25mpg...shows how pointless it is to modify a CRZ.

·
Registered
28 Posts
+25hp is measly? When you have 122hp to start with, 25hp is a 20%. That's pretty substantial! ...and you get another 2000rpm of revs! That gets me excited about this car again.

I do, however agree with you on the direction of Honda. As a car enthusiast, I want to see fun to drive cars with the spirit from Honda of old. My 2001 CR-V is a lot of fun to drive. Granted, its not stock...but its not wild, either. That's what Honda is missing.

They need to do some soul searching and find what went wrong 10 years ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It seems as though you don't really know what you're talking about! The k20 will live and is an extremely efficient engine. also, it seems as though you keep comparing jdm and edm sales with USDM sales...which they are completely different types of markets.

also, if you haven't read much of the media about what honda keeps saying about the new CRZ, they keep saying that its gonna be some great track car....heck even mugen and spoon are trying so hard to back up honda on this field....seems as though these two branches are only succeeding in making the CRZ look better, but thats it....performance is still at a fail.

reason why is crappy engine and crappy suspension! Its like kia rio and toyota yaris quality....it just ain't gonna work.

I know times have changed....but not so much to the point that they turn into toyota....if they can still make pointless decisions like the ZDX or the turbo engine into an RDX...or the RL sedan....its just showing that they're being stupid.

With spoon or mugens overhaul on the CRZ to gain a measly 25 hp, and it will then only get 25mpg...shows how pointless it is to modify a CRZ.
Actually Alric is right and I've been following this car for over a year and really no mention of Honda saying that the CRZ is a track car. Maybe for you the performance is a fail but to to me it sounds fine. Wait to you drive the car first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+25hp is measly? When you have 122hp to start with, 25hp is a 20%. That's pretty substantial! ...and you get another 2000rpm of revs! That gets me excited about this car again.

I do, however agree with you on the direction of Honda. As a car enthusiast, I want to see fun to drive cars with the spirit from Honda of old. My 2001 CR-V is a lot of fun to drive. Granted, its not stock...but its not wild, either. That's what Honda is missing.

10 years ago, naturally aspirated cars owned the field of sports compact car racing....now turbos rule the land. since honda has given its line of cars a pretty big weight gain, they can't keep putting 120 or less hp engines in and say that it is "fun to drive"! we want to feel the thrust of a spirited car....NOT AN OVERWORKED tiny 1.5liter engine...not to mention, its still just a single cam motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually Alric is right and I've been following this car for over a year and really no mention of Honda saying that the CRZ is a track car. Maybe for you the performance is a fail but to to me it sounds fine. Wait to you drive the car first.
wow...i just read the catalog from the honda dealership about it, and to me, it really sounds like they are trying to say that its trackworthy....like you can actually win some races with it! it sort of like when i read the catalog of a 2010 toyota corolla xrs....so much talk and no walk.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts

I ONLY agree with the part about the K20 being efficient... it is a very efficient engine... BUT he said it's not as efficient as HONDA, you know the company who makes the engine? wants it to be...

other than my comment above, i really couldn't agree more with this post...
10 years ago, naturally aspirated cars owned the field of sports compact car racing....now turbos rule the land. since honda has given its line of cars a pretty big weight gain, they can't keep putting 120 or less hp engines in and say that it is "fun to drive"! we want to feel the thrust of a spirited car....NOT AN OVERWORKED tiny 1.5liter engine...not to mention, its still just a single cam motor.
1st-NO Honda really has "thrust" you speak of... that would mean Honda has to make an engine with TORQUE as it seems they are incapable of doing w/o adding some form of IMA or FI (forced induction)...
2nd-my friend has a 2000 Track-built Accord that is KILLING built Ferrari's around the corners and straightaways... when i say "track-built" i simply mean that the car isn't used on the street, has a roll cage, gutted interior, and lexan windows... other than a drop and tie bars, NOTHING was done to the suspension... the engine is a 3.2L TL engine making just around 300hp... but compared to the "performance numbers" of the Ferrari, he shouldn't be winning those races...

another comparison for this is, just go look at the new TL numbers compared to the competition... most (if not all) beat the TL in the "numbers on paper" part... but the TL SH-AWD destroys them around the track... notice i said AROUND the track and not down the drag strip...

Honda's are made for better handling than other cars in its class... that's why they excel... not b/c of their straight line performance...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
honda has always been known to have light efficient cars...and it seems as though they've made their cars quite heavy during the past few years. Honda can make a car with good torque....heck tuners across the nation has proven that k20/k24 hybrid engines make sufficient torque...the tuners basically did most of the R&D to get this to work. So honda can make torquey engines...they just chose not to. The k20 makes so much sense in the CRZ, and a k24 makes sense in the current civic si's. the k series are pretty good for their lightweight design making as much power as their j series v6's...which keeps the cars lateral G at a all time high.

basically, honda's civic si is outdated and too heavy against the competition, and if they made it the same way again, which they were going to do, then it'd be pointless to buy the new 2011 ones. and then honda comes out with a CRZ that is as slow as a minivan! This "fun to drive" thing makes me sick...we all know how retarded toyota has been after the death of the celica gts and the supra.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This "fun to drive" thing SHOULD make you sick. Only girls and homos will value this feature, so I have a suggestion: Let's you and I tell Honda how to build real track worhty cars, and (2) let's leave this forum to the panty-waist members who actually like the CR-Z.

C'mon mugencivicsi... time to get out and find a real racer's forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.