Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2011 AT. You can feel it go into gear but it just revs after that. I have asked transmission shops and they just want to replace the transmission. Someone please advise if this is true?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
59 Posts
If it's the CVT (not sure these came with automatics?) then the belt is probably toast or maybe the pulleys aren't tensioning. Can't tell without more information.
You could look for metal in the oil. As triop said there might be codes for it too.

A quick look on eBay shows a few used ones for sale and they are pretty cheap (well, compared to other transmissions).
That's probably why they just want to replace it instantly as it's probably cheaper than diagnosing.

What prices were they quoting for replacement?

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,230 Posts
You can feel it go into gear but it just revs after that. I have asked transmission shops and they just want to replace the transmission. Someone please advise if this is true?
Massive internal failure. you technically can replace components of the transmission, but it is far and away more cost effective to simply buy a used one. For a 2011, you can get a transmission from all years, but there will be a sensor on the 2013-2016 models that isn't used on the 2010-2012 cars. (for any 13-16 owners reading this, you will need a 13-16 transmission)

I would also budget for replacing the radiator as well, because the trans cooler in the radiator is upstream of the filter, and any debris from the trans will get in there. I bypassed it on my 2013 after it failed.

I tore the '13 transmission completely down after a failure just to learn more about what went wrong and to see if there was any salvagable components. There were not any.

When you "feel it go in gear" it's just the valve body orienting everything to the "forward motion" setup. The actual motive force of the transmission is run through a wet clutch, so there's nothing actually going on yet to feel as far as the "gears" are concerned.

This video shows the internal operation in great detail. The most common failure is that the belt separates. When this happens, the belt sends shrapnel everywhere and destroys the transmission.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I second @96firephoenix . I had this exact issue happen to my old 11 CVT exactly 3 times. CVT blew up and the engine would just rev in place with no motion. Used CVT's are plentiful and cheap thankfully. You c an get one with a 1-2 year warranty from LKQ too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts